Facebook, dating, bleh

Options
anemoneprose
anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
Anyone else find it just kind of awkward to be FB friends with people you've dated, even if things were only ever casual?

Replies

• DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    In my case, yes. There is a reason they are my 'ex'. lol
  • no_stagnation
    Options
    Absolutely! That's the biggest reason I'm not on facebook. I don't need to know what old girlfriend are up too, and they don't need to know what I'm up too. I guess I was too nice to not delete them as many are still friends
  • j1wright
    j1wright Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    It depends on what type of relationship you had with them. I am friends with one ex but he really just became a friend afterwards and I would never see him as anything else.....on the other hand, just about any other guy I would say yeah, it is wierd and inappropriate.

My husband never had a "friend" like that so he shouldn't have any but he has and the FB "friends" don't last long because it is awkward.
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    Oh yeah, for sure, I'm only friends with one of my LTR ex's (we're ok friends now).

I just mean people you maybe never dated with any seriousness, who you probably wouldn't think about more than occasionally if you didn't know what they did every weekend.

(People who aren't randoms, but friends of friends, who you kind of see around. Which is why I was FB friends with them to begin with. I.e., pre-date.)
  • KerrieJane86
    KerrieJane86 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have 3 exs...
    1 I still have, 1 I delete and 1 deleted me (I think)

I might eventually add the one I deleted back, but as of right now nope...
    The 1 I still have is great, I like seeing pictures of his life.
  • 05HeatherLouise05
    05HeatherLouise05 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I was ok with it until my Ex messaged me on FB and told me he missed me and was planning on visiting the place I live now asking if we could catch up....................Er Ummmm No
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    An old bootie call from like 15 years ago sent me a friend request on facebook. Yeah, it was a little awkward at first, but I told my wife about it and any contact is limited to occassionally liking each others status and commenting on pictures of each others kids every now and then. Other than that I don't have any ex girlfriends on facebook and never will. She was one of my sister's best friends, so I really don't feel guilty about making an exception in this case. Normally it would be too awkward, I think.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Not really. 3 of my ex's came to my wedding.

I don't see any reason to terminate the friendship unless the relationship ended horribly. I'm on good terms with all of them and wish them well.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options

I don't see any reason to terminate the friendship unless the relationship ended horribly. I'm on good terms with all of them and wish them well.

LOL all my relationships with my ex girlfriends ended very horribly. The bootie calls, not so much.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

LOL all my relationships with my ex girlfriends ended very horribly. The bootie calls, not so much.

I only had one end very badly, but most of the rest were amicable breakups. No cheating. No lying, just didn't work out.
  • reasnableblonde
    reasnableblonde Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I deactivated my FB but before that, I was friends with 2 of my exes. One was from HS and I wish him the best for everything. The other was an early college boyfriend and we've had some interesting interactions but I wish him the best as well. I did not really interact with either of them very much, but they were supportive when I met my now husband, got engaged, etc. Neither of them said a word when I got married and that was fine by me! I think I only unfriended one guy I dated, but we were very casual and I didn't want to remain his friend. One ex unfriended me.

My husband isn't friends with any of his exes on Facebook. One contacted him on his birthday when he and I were just dating, and he responded to thank her. Then she started getting really detailed with what was going on in her life and he got weirded out.

I think it's best to just be polite and cordial, but keep your distance.
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I have friends on fb that are exes and casual flings (b4 marriage)

1 ex I have known since I was 18 (I am now 33) .. we are the best of friends, he comes over for bbqs etc . he and hubby are good friends as well .. we started as friends, tried the dating thing, but we were 2 different people and were better as friends

I also have my 3 - 4th grade boyfriend on there :love: :laugh:

1 friend that we were friends for a few years (as teens) then a moment in time, had a lil friend fun
    another is a guy a I met online that was a summer fling (when I was 19) ,. we still talk as well

my husband doesn't have a problem with this, and neither do I .. they are great people to hang out with / talk to
    we just weren't right for each other long term

I met my husband online at 19, and was 20 when we met in person (been together 13 years, last month) :love: :smooched:
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I'm friends with all my ex's. I get along with them just fine and have hung out with them many times after breaking up.
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    lol they are an ex for a reason therefore they belong in the past not on my facebook page xD
  • anemoneprose
    Options

Ha. Right, I guess I'm talking about bootie calls (not that they were that, exactly! More like mutually enjoyable, exploratory relationships that ended naturally and with both parties' agreement. No big emotions or anything. Dates actually happened, if they weren't happy accidents. But ok, bootie calls.)

I'm just finding myself thinking about one or two of them more than makes sense. I don't want a relationship, at all, or with either of them - both are kind of inappropriate for that. Nobody's married or in any kind of commitment, they're just not right for me, and really, I'm not that into them.

It's confusing.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    nope but i've only had 3 boyfriends (one my soon to be ex hubby) still friends
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options

yup
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    recently my first boyfriend unblocked and added me on facebook... after about 4 years haha. we haven't even talked on there yet, so in that aspect it is very awkward. should i like this? should i comment on that? should i send him a message saying 'hows life'. I no longer have any hurt feelings or anything (if anything, i broke his heart), and im happily living with someone else in a different city. i really think the dude is a pretty cool guy, and i remember the friend aspect of our relationship.. but it is a realllly strange situation that i have no experience dealing with.
  • LynnieG85
    LynnieG85 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    If it ended well and I'm still "friends" with them, I still tend to keep them on my FB but hide them from my newsfeed, so I don't have to see their posts. But eventually I just delete them, as at the end of the day, I prefer to look forward not back. Everyone is different though!!
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Really?! I'm friends with all of my exes...and based on some of the posts I'm pretty sure they aren't blocking anything! :D I'm glad they are happy.