I have an addiction to peanut butter

Options
jw17695
jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
Is there any way to stop my addiction to peanut butter? I cannot go more than a few hours without it, let alone a whole day. I am totally fine eating by the spoonful. I don't need other food without it. I know its bad. If I ever had a kid with a peanut allergy, I'd give up my kid before I would my peanut butter.

Its so odd because I'm not obsessive in any other way or with any other foods. How can I fix this?

Replies

• ashmariehay
    ashmariehay Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you love it so much don't! Just pace yourself "proportions". It's a great source of protein and heck yeah it tastes' awesome! ... I can't fully give it up either. I just buy a healthier brand than I used to. :-D
  • Kmill217
    Kmill217 Posts: 204
    Options
    2TBSP a day MAX. haha- thats what I do. It isn't conducive to wait loss. Healthy eating by all means heck and yes. but if your trying to cut weight- you need that stuff in major moderation! Build it into your calories. It just gets tough if your trying to eat lower fat!!! I love the stuff too. I eat mine at night with cottage cheese!!

Damn good pre-bedtime snack!
  • kas1021
    kas1021 Posts: 92
    Options
    hahaha ive never met anyone else with this problem! where have you been?! i am the saaame way. try switching to a "healtheir" pb. i use smart balance gluten free pb. i put it on bananas. but i try to limit myself to just a little. or when i have a ton of cals leftvover for the day i have some. peanut butter and honey is good too. sorry i am really not helping you find a solution. i just think its funny i'm the same way about it. no peanut allergy kids for me!
  • jw17695
    Options
    I use Private Selection's Organic Crunchy. I think I've tried pretty much every brand and variation under the sun. Nothing compares to plain PB. I still have jars of sunnut butter, almond, soy, and everything in between.

Remember that PB salmonella scare not that long ago. No effect on me. Peanut farmers won't ever have to worry about losing their jobs as long as I'm still around.
  • candessb
    candessb Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    YOU ARE NOT ALONE. I love peanut butter too. Hands down my favorite food. Maybe you have been cuuting your fat intake too low and your body is craving the extra fat....idk, I've wondered this myself. Luckily, my addiction turned into a strong love after a few months.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    I try and get my husband to make the kids' lunches because as soon as I dip the spoon in, I'm done. Sometimes it can be an "out of sight, out of mind" kind of thing. But WOW is it addictive. And so good. And the fact that it has SOME health benefits has me making excuses for eating it. If you can't live without it, try incorporating it with other foods. Heck, I've even tried chewing gums while making lunches so as not to eat it, and found that the minty taste of gum and PB actually aren't bad together. :blushing: It is a horrible addiction. The funny thing to me is, I don't even really like peanuts.

Peanut+Butter+Smiley+Face+001.JPG
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Hi--I used to love it too, but now DO have a kid with a severe peanut allergy. Don't worry--if you have to and really want to you can stop eating it like I have because if your child's life depends on it, you'll do what you need to.

Anyway, since you don't have that problem, enjoy your PB in moderation!

Since cutting PB, I have tried a lot of others and absolutely love Sunbutter, an all natural sunflower seed spread. Since losing weight though I haven't had as much interest in it because if I have to limit that much (to 2 tbsps) I just don't enjoy it as much so have gradually stopped thinking about it.
  • becky23
    becky23 Posts: 60
    Options
    Ha! I have the same exact problem. Just give me a spoon and a jar and I'm in heaven!

I try to limit myself to 2tbsp a day. Remember that eating fat promotes fat loss! It's good for ya!
  • jw17695
    Options
    Hi LulaBelle. I am the same way. I don't like peanuts either but I like most of the other nuts, beans, seeds out there. So then I tried their versions of pb and I can't seem to like them. I think I'm just difficult. :) Oh well!
  • vmd19
    vmd19 Posts: 3
    Options
    I <3 peanut butter i used to mix it wit chocolate syrup and eat that all the time its addicting lol.
  • Burtonrah
    Burtonrah Posts: 142
    Options
    I love that this thread was started! i'm also a PB addict. However, I did find something called powered peanut butter (PB2). It's quite a bit healthier, and tastes the same! To me anyway. It's 53 Calories for 2 TBSP!! I know that doesn't help with the addiction itself, but the caloric intake does make a difference ;)
  • jw17695
    Options
    Where did you find that at Burtonrah?
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you! But I see no reason to give it up entirely. First, I only eat all natural peanut butter (the only ingredient listed is peanuts) and I am meticulous about logging it. I don't trust myself to eyeball a tablespoon of the stuff. No. I make myself get out my electronic kitchen scale and WEIGH IT to make sure that I am not over doing it.
  • Burtonrah
    Burtonrah Posts: 142
    Options
    I found it in a low carb grocery. It's based out of Georgia - The Bell Plantation (http://www.bellplantation.com), but it cost so much to cross the border to Canada that I just googled it and found it for a pretty good price at the www.lowcarbgrocery.com
  • sassydot
    sassydot Posts: 141
    Options
    my SIL makes this REALLY good dessert where you beat 1TBSP smooth peanut butter with 1/2 cup ricotta, a tiny bit of sugar if you want and a tiny bit of vanilla. Beat it til its really smooth, then chill for 10-15 minutes until it's set, and go nuts (LOL no pun intended!)
    It has that peanut butter taste, but nowhere near the calories compared to the same amount of actual peanut butter, and even lower if you use low fat ricotta.

Sounds strange and honestly I thought she was weird, but gave it a go because she said i know it sounds awful but just try it, and its awesome!

It TOTALLY fixes my peanut butter craving, and talk about addicted to peanut butter I could eat a jarful in a sitting if I let myself!
  • mrsw510
    mrsw510 Posts: 169
    Options
    I love me some PB too. I eat 1 TBSP on a 1/2 sandwhich daily. Thats all I allow myself.
  • Txgal82
    Txgal82 Posts: 2
    Options
    OMG i LOVESSSS PB i ate a whole jar of crunchy by myself in like 3 days....i love it on ritz crackers!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    my SIL makes this REALLY good dessert where you beat 1TBSP smooth peanut butter with 1/2 cup ricotta, a tiny bit of sugar if you want and a tiny bit of vanilla. Beat it til its really smooth, then chill for 10-15 minutes until it's set, and go nuts (LOL no pun intended!)
    It has that peanut butter taste, but nowhere near the calories compared to the same amount of actual peanut butter, and even lower if you use low fat ricotta.

Sounds strange and honestly I thought she was weird, but gave it a go because she said i know it sounds awful but just try it, and its awesome!

It TOTALLY fixes my peanut butter craving, and talk about addicted to peanut butter I could eat a jarful in a sitting if I let myself!

That sounds pretty delicious, actually. I'll have to try it.