Knee pain

Options
hedgiie
hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
Anyone have any advise on how to avoid knee pain?

Replies

• hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    hmm, maybe i'm the only one..
  • Zoeegirl
    Zoeegirl Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Oops
  • 46Phil
    46Phil Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You are not the only one with knee pain. I was looking for others' answers too. From what I understand from my trainer, we need to strengthen the muscles that hold the knee in place--that means strengthening our upper legs.
  • Zoeegirl
    Zoeegirl Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    For me this means low impact. No running, jumping, lunged. I do walking, swimming and bicycle. I know mine will get somewhat better when I lose some weight, but I have always had bad knees so this is my life :grumble:
    just do what doesn't hurt :smile:
  • tauny78
    tauny78 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I would say it depends on what you're doing.....I have to wear a knee brace because I've had issues pretty much all my life. With whatever exercise you're performing, make sure you're using proper form. And listen to your body. Some pain is expected, i.e. muscle aches and weariness. Other pain means stop or slow down. You just have to learn the difference. I lift weights, run and do other aerobics. I am just careful and always use my brace. Good luck!
  • 46Phil
    Options
    Zoe--I agree with you. Low impact exercises--until your knees no longer hurt--are the way to go.
  • 46Phil
    Options
    I just googled. The quads need to be strengthened.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Hip abductors need work..... do a youtube search for a few videos that will help you do this.... trust me they work. Not quads, that's different. This one is actually on the side of your leg & is what directly controls the way the knee moves when working. Nobody ever thinks about hip abductors at all.

I had horrid knee pain when running..... I now do these daily & no more pain in my knee since. This pain would stop me dead in my tracks & even stop me in Zumba.... not anymore.. I can run without knee pain at all now.
  • Ke11yJo
    Ke11yJo Posts: 141
    Options
    Hip abductors need work..... do a youtube search for a few videos that will help you do this.... trust me they work. Not quads, that's different. This one is actually on the side of your leg & is what directly controls the way the knee moves when working. Nobody ever thinks about hip abductors at all.

I had horrid knee pain when running..... I now do these daily & no more pain in my knee since. This pain would stop me dead in my tracks & even stop me in Zumba.... not anymore.. I can run without knee pain at all now.

Thank you for this! :flowerforyou: I am going to try these exercises. I am doing the C25K and my knees are not so much in "pain" but they are tender after. I invested in good Asics and I am going to work on these muscle groups on my rest days from running. I am just going to keep repeating week 1 until the tenderness is gone.