Need help getting in shape during pregnancy

Options
Hi all -

I'm an old member trying to get back on the wagon. I am looking for some help regarding getting in shape during pregnancy as I just started my second trimester and the first added way too much weight due to food and lack of exercise. I was an avid runner prior to trying to conceive but as soon as I got off birth control, I gained like 10 lbs. Two months later we conceived (happily) but the first trimester was a doozy and added another 15 lbs. I am up 25 lbs from my norm and 35 up from what I weighed during my wedding back in May. I feel awful about myself and so sluggish. I am scared if my sluggish weak body can handle the progression during pregnancy as I know I will gain belly weight as the months go on, sadly on top of a already weakened body.

I understand trying to "loose weight" while pregnant is bad so I would never do anything to harm my baby, but I am doing everything now to eat properly and move I just need some advice, guidance and help. My doctor said I can do what I used to, just listen to my body, but I also want some input from others that have been along this path, know about it, or are currently on it!

I found MFP super supportive before, so I am hoping it is still the same now.

Replies

• Sunset4848
    Options
    Im in the same boat- I'm 10 weeks and would like to maintain of not loose a few pounds during my pregnancy! I am hoping this will help! PLus making sure I get the 70 grams of Protein a day for the baby bump!
  • sbechdel
    sbechdel Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi Sunset,

Thanks for the response! Maybe we can be buddies in this journey?! I am 13w6d today, so not too far ahead of you! I actually managed to jog a bit this week (using my heart rate monitor to keep my exersion under 140) and do yoga. It feels really good to be slightly sore again after almost three months of being sedentary.

Gunna try to do a more workout type yoga class today - just did a stretching one earlier this week so I am sure this one will be a bit tough on me.

Haven't gotten the food back to really healthy yet. I have been getting a solid breakfast in of steel oats and fruit so that makes me feel like I am at least trying. I was eating many bagels for breakfast in first tri, just so you have an idea of where I am coming from.

So how are you feeling? Do you have energy yet? Is this your first pregnancy?

Ur avitar looks like where I live in Florida... are you down this way?
  • skateboardstef
    skateboardstef Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    It's definitely possible. My husband and I are TTC, and I asked my personal trainer if I could still diet/exercise while pregnant! He said yes, you just can't do anything extreme especially with the diet. The gym I go to offers a pregnancy yoga class which would a great stress reliever too.
  • nakiambi
    nakiambi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey I was just wondering how the weight management went, I just found out I'm pregnant and I'm in the middle of trying to get in shape but if I could get through the pregnancy with little gain then I would be fine.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I was at a gym where I'd always see this pregnant woman (who was probably 8 months along, I would say) that was exercising. It looks as though she had her own routine that was different than others, perhaps special moves specifically for her condition. I've never been pregnant but I understand that pregnant woman have to be cautious in what they do sometimes (physically). Would you consider going to a personal trainer/nutritionist for a plan specifically for you?
  • sarat88
    Options
    You should be able to continue to exercise, just clear your routine with your doc. I am in the same boat. Old member, lost 80 lbs, now I am packing it on with this pregnancy. Mexican food!!! I am 25 weeks and i have gained 15 lbs. For my weight class I should only gain 20 for the whole 40 weeks! Anyway I knew I needed to get it under control but today was the day it really sunk in. No more dining out, and all my snacks are fruits, veggies and light yoplait. Also, my doc told me that I could safely consume 1800 a day and still support my little one. That seems low when the internet tells me 2300! So ive settled with maintenance calories at 2000 to be safe. Maybe you should ask your doc what she thinks about the same for you?
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • aliann30
    aliann30 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who just had her baby, but during her pregnancy she was working out - even lifting weights (she had a trainer supervising though, so please don't do that without OB approval and someone spotting you). I've heard that if you are a runner, you can easily continue your routine throughout pregnancy. If you are new to it, you just have to be more careful about easing into it. Either way, I think exercises that aren't recommended include things that could throw off your balance, you could fall easily, or put a lot of pressure on your abdomen/pelvic muscles (like sit-ups, squats, etc.).

I'd talk to your OB just to be sure because each pregnancy is also unique so what is safe for one person could be a no-no for you.

Either way, congratulations! Being a mother has been one of the best things that ever happened to me (it won't always feel that way though...it's exhausting at the same time! Just remember that they WILL start sleeping through the night at some point. :wink: )

Here's to a happy and healthy 9 months and beyond!!! :flowerforyou:
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I'm preggo with #3, 11 weeks, I tend to suffer from really bad morning sickness which pretty much makes doing anything torture. I'm hoping now that I'm near the 2nd trimester it will ease up and I will be able to get active again. With my first baby I gained like 60 pounds which is a lot on my short small frame and I was already chubby. The second I managed to keep my weight gain healthier (40 pounds still higher then i wanted tho lol) and stayed active up until the last couple of months due to a lot of back and hip pain wasnt able to do much. Really hoping I can stay active and keep my weight at a healthy range with this one as well since I know it made me feel better about myself and my pregnancy then when I pigged out and didn't care like the first one lol. Would be happy to be a friend and share the trying to get in baby shape journey if you wanted to :)
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to gain during pregnancy. A lot of that weight comes off almost immediately after birth or within a month or two of it as long as you're reasonable about your eating habits (not overeating, eating good nutritious food with lots of calcium, iron, and folic acid, etc.) There IS such a thing as a healthy pregnancy gain, and it can be managed. I've managed to gain only 14 lbs in 26 weeks, which is right on track for where I should be by just eating well and 30 minutes of exercise every day. Definitely not hard, but it does take dedication and realizing that you really only need 300-500 extra calories per day over maintenance and only after the first trimester really during pregnancy, not double (re: eating for two nonsense).

Where the weight comes from:

* Baby = 7-8 pounds
    * Increased breast size = 1-3 pounds
    * Increase is uterus = 2 pounds
    * Placenta = 1-2 pounds
    * Fluid surrounding baby = 2 pounds
    * Increase in blood supply = 3- pounds
    * Fluid build up = 2-3 pounds
    * Storage of fat = 6-8 pounds

Also, about fitness routines, you can absolutely continue your current fitness routine as long as you're not bouncing around too much or doing something that would increase your risk of falling or injury. A healthy pregnancy gain IS possible, and it's great to go into your pregnancy looking to stay fit both for you and your unborn child.
  • auzziecawth66
    Options
    Not scared about weight gain just crazy over the top weight gain, and I found it didn't come off nearly as easily with baby 2 as with baby 1 either lol. Even with diet and exercise which totally bummed me out :P
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Not scared about weight gain just crazy over the top weight gain, and I found it didn't come off nearly as easily with baby 2 as with baby 1 either lol. Even with diet and exercise which totally bummed me out :P

Just do your best! Weight gain varies with each pregnancy too, so don't let the number on the scale stress you out if you're keeping your intake at the right level and exercising. It's more important that you and your baby get proper nutrition than whether you gain 20 or 40 lbs.

Good luck to you!
  • auzziecawth66
    Options
    Lol I eat when im hungry. Or rather I plan on it when i can actually keep for down again :P. I'm more interested in tryin to stay active and maintain fittness then with eating too much lol.
  • lucylu47
    lucylu47 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate.. I am in the same boat and have the same feelings. I just started my second trimester and i have already gained 20 lbs. I am the biggest I have been. I am bigger than when I delivered my older son. I too am not trying to loose weight just maintain a healthy active lifestyle when I am pregnant. Good luck to everything :)
    Hi all -

I'm an old member trying to get back on the wagon. I am looking for some help regarding getting in shape during pregnancy as I just started my second trimester and the first added way too much weight due to food and lack of exercise. I was an avid runner prior to trying to conceive but as soon as I got off birth control, I gained like 10 lbs. Two months later we conceived (happily) but the first trimester was a doozy and added another 15 lbs. I am up 25 lbs from my norm and 35 up from what I weighed during my wedding back in May. I feel awful about myself and so sluggish. I am scared if my sluggish weak body can handle the progression during pregnancy as I know I will gain belly weight as the months go on, sadly on top of a already weakened body.

I understand trying to "loose weight" while pregnant is bad so I would never do anything to harm my baby, but I am doing everything now to eat properly and move I just need some advice, guidance and help. My doctor said I can do what I used to, just listen to my body, but I also want some input from others that have been along this path, know about it, or are currently on it!

I found MFP super supportive before, so I am hoping it is still the same now.