I know its hard....

Options
Software developer here. And Damn its hard being around people who eat like I used to. Pizza and coke is everywhere!!!!! There is an abundance of Pizza and coke. 1 guy ordered 2 large special with a coke, another guy ordered 3 mediums for 5 bucks each. I just put on my poker face and ate my peanut butter sandwich with banana and water. It was so fu** rough. But I got through it. 1 day at a time.

This is to all of you who go through the same thing or your S.O. is eating a cheesburger while you try to satisfy yourself with fish, its gonna be worth it at the end. I know it.

Replies

• Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Good for you! And it is hard. Work buys us lunch (pizza) every Sat so I have to come prepared to just say NO and bring my own food even though the pizza smells so freaking amazing.

And it will be worth it. It already is.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Oh omg - this used to be one of the hardest things but when i see it I just think to myself "they are trying to sabotage me (even though they may not intentionally be doing this...but maybe they are?) so don't fall into it". After a while, it does get easier one you lose your attachment to carbs and unhealthy sugars like you had mentioned. I used to love drinking diet sodas - but now i don't even notice when others are drinking. Try to stay focused on your healthy meal and enjoy it rather than comparing to others foods.

As you go along with your fitness and health, you will learn soooo much about carbs, sugars and starches and your perception will start to change when you see someone eating a plate of pizza, ribs, and potato salad and a coke because you will know how to balance your meals out better with fruits and veggies.

My goal when I first started (because i did have to slowly get into eating more veggies) was that I replaced my meals so AT LEAST 50% of my meals were veggie and my desserts can be any fruit. I also tried to decrease my carb and increase my protein.

Remember not to be too hard on yourself - and just think in the times when determination is not always with you and you do go over in your calories "if you give up, you are guaranteed to gain weight - if you keep trying no matter what, you will eventually get to your goal."
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Oh and Congratulations on your NSV!! :D
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    It gets easier in time. It really is amazing how little I crave junk food now. When I started, I could finish off an entire bag of tostitos and a container of cheese dip in a single sitting. Now, I can't even stand the stuff. Just be patient, and keep eating healthy snacks.

Just make sure you have some tasty snacks pre-packed so you can grab them if you feel like munching.

Good job resisting the calorie-fest! :smile:
  • xcureanddisease
    Options
    ...I personally eat a slice of pizza for lunch most days. I honestly don't see why a PB sandwich is any better than pizza. A large slice of pizza is only around 250 calories.... (of course depends on where you get it from but most places have nutritional information available so you can choose) There's absolutely no other food that's 250 cal that can keep me satisfied until dinner, pizza is magic and I see no reason to give it up!

Of course you need to be sure that you really will stop at just one slice so I don't think buying an entire pizza is the best idea. Stealing a slice from someone sounds fine to me.

Last thing, I don't know your work conditions of course but if you're a software developer, you can usually do your work alone at home where you won't be distracted by what other people are eating :)

While its most of the populations dream to work from home, it really sucks. Yes I can work from home. I never have to show up to work... Ever..

But when im here, my friends come over, my family comes over, I play video games, test other games im working on, my kids are all over me, my roomate is a huge distraction LOL but I love her.. Anyways, between the people, netflix and an almost infinite game library, my working at home is just not for someone like me. heh.

IDK a body builder at my gym told me to eat peanut butter. something about protein or natural fats. I really didn't listen why but he looks freaking amazing. So i listened. He said a TON of water, a banana before and after I work out, and peanut butter and fish fats is what I should do. Again IDK why or if its legit.
  • Serenstar75
    Serenstar75 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Software developer here. And Damn its hard being around people who eat like I used to. Pizza and coke is everywhere!!!!! There is an abundance of Pizza and coke. 1 guy ordered 2 large special with a coke, another guy ordered 3 mediums for 5 bucks each. I just put on my poker face and ate my peanut butter sandwich with banana and water. It was so fu** rough. But I got through it. 1 day at a time.

This is to all of you who go through the same thing or your S.O. is eating a cheesburger while you try to satisfy yourself with fish, its gonna be worth it at the end. I know it.

It was awesome reading this. My friends pig out on junk. My job loves potlucks. Me? I was doing well and now I'm struggling. I have a peach I keep trying to force myself to gnosh on and I'm just not feeling it. I was eating veggies, all that good stuff. Now it's a battle. Wtheck. :(

And yes, the body builder's advice is good. Bananas have potassium and help a ton with body aches. When I don't eat them, I notice. Fish has omega oils and all that good stuff including protein. Peanut butter IS a huge staple for me, because it also adds protein and stuff to my breakfast and some snacks. I sometimes try to watch for the lower sugar peanut butter, but it doesn't taste as nice. :P
  • xcureanddisease
    Options

It was awesome reading this. My friends pig out on junk. My job loves potlucks. Me? I was doing well and now I'm struggling. I have a peach I keep trying to force myself to gnosh on and I'm just not feeling it. I was eating veggies, all that good stuff. Now it's a battle. Wtheck. :(

And yes, the body builder's advice is good. Bananas have potassium and help a ton with body aches. When I don't eat them, I notice. Fish has omega oils and all that good stuff including protein. Peanut butter IS a huge staple for me, because it also adds protein and stuff to my breakfast and some snacks. I sometimes try to watch for the lower sugar peanut butter, but it doesn't taste as nice. :P

Try to hang in there Seren. For me food does have a way of tasting bad when its something else I want. Like my fruit cocktail yesterday is supposed to taste SUPER SWEEEEEET but its not when I really want a freaking burrito or something. Anyways yea if I can do this one time, you can do it 20 times over. Because Pizza is my Achilles' heel
  • Jamie_Lauren
    Jamie_Lauren Posts: 211 Member
    Options

IDK a body builder at my gym told me to eat peanut butter. something about protein or natural fats. I really didn't listen why but he looks freaking amazing. So i listened. He said a TON of water, a banana before and after I work out, and peanut butter and fish fats is what I should do. Again IDK why or if its legit.

He's right about all those things :) 100% natural peanut butter is the best though, a lot of others have added sugar and preservatives.
  • xcureanddisease
    Options

He's right about all those things :) 100% natural peanut butter is the best though, a lot of others have added sugar and preservatives.

Yea its the peanut butter that has that liquid stuff(oil) on top at the shelves. Its the natural stuff that separates. All the other stuff like JIFF or Skippy they have so much crap in it, the oil cant separate.
  • SarahAFerguson
    SarahAFerguson Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Now I want a peanut butter sandwich - nom nom nom

I am also one who as great difficulty working from home. Way to many distractions.