I have zero willpower when it comes to junk food

Options
Okay, so I'm pretty good with my food choices on the weekdays, because I eat with my family and we tend to eat healthy. But on the weekends, I go to my friend's houses and go places like parties or go get fast food! Ugh, I always eat a ton:( It's hard because I have no willpower. And no, I won't stop going out, because I'm young (only 17) and I think a social life is very important. Obviously being healthy is important too, but I need to find a good balance between the two. Advice?

Replies

• farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have made your mind up already and want others to prop you up.

It can only be done by you, no one is force feeding you and no one, except you, is going to stop your hand putting food in your mouth

The only, and obvious advice is what you already know but do not seem to want to confront, which is eat less of it

You could cut back during the week to allow for excess at weekend, but not really a wise idea, especially as you are only 17 and still growing
  • chelle_fri
    chelle_fri Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    If I go out with friends, I'll try to eat a snack right before going out and I bring my water cup (the kind with the built in straw) I'll put lemon or lime in it so I don't feel bored with my water. But unfortunately this isn't going to be the magic answer, if you're insistent on going out, you'll have to practice self-control. Make better choices. Identify if you are actually hungry or just eating to eat. Instead of going out to get food, go out bowling or take a walk after eating. There are ways to have a social life and not have it involve food :smile:
  • WIthout knowing your vital stats, I'd say not to worry too much about it at the age of 17, especially since you're eating healthily most of the time. There are no "bad" foods, you know, just some that have fewer nutrients than others. A lot of "bad" foods (such as pizza) can be really rather good for you, depending on how they are made.

I ate shedloads of rubbish at your age and I don't think it hurt my health longterm.
  • sweetpeaz12345
    sweetpeaz12345 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I Personally think, at such a young age id try and eat healthy 80% of the time. Treats in moderation and don't beat yourself up over the occasional indulgence. Also when your out try to make the "better" choice when dining out :)

Hope it helps