How to not gain too much weight while pregnant?

Options
Amy_B
Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
I think because I've been working on losing weight for so long, when I became pregnant, I kind of said "whatever." I'm 20 weeks and have gained just about that much. I had bad morning sickness and fatigue the first trimester, and so I didn't exercise. When I started feeling better, I just never picked back up with it. I'm having a hard time making sure I get enough sleep, have enough time for everything else, and then squeezing in a workout. Plus, I am pretty sure I'm eating too much. I am definitely hungry more, but I know I shouldn't be eating this much. Any tips?

Replies

• BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
  • cali76grl
    cali76grl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just started my 3rd trimester. I was so sick from 5 - 16 weeks that I ended up losing 17 pounds from reduced appetite, throwing up and completely changing my diet. So at 27 weeks I am 2 pounds short of my pre-pregnancy weight. So far, my doctor isn't concerned with my weight, she's happy that I have gained most of what I lost back and she she doesn't want me to gain much more than another 5-10 pounds. I'm working now on increasing my activity level again now that I'm feeling better and trying to walk more frequently. With the holidays coming up, I worry about my diet getting out of control. For this reason (and seeing my sister succeed with her weight loss) I'm motivated to start keep track of what I eat now.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Assuming you are a healthy BMI currently, the recommended weight gain is 25-35 lbs.

I gained 31 lbs in 41 weeks without following any special plan. In fact, I found the traditional wisdom of many small meals throughout the day didn't work for me. Rather, I ate a very large lunch to keep my belly full and my energy up. I ate a high fiber cereal for breakfast most days. Sometimes I would eat it for dessert as well. I ate whatever I wanted but practiced portion control or ate substitutes. 1/4 cup of icecream for dessert rather than the whole pint, a turkey burger instead of a beef patty. Could I have been better? Probably.

But when I weighed myself 24 days post partum, I already lost 18 lbs of baby weight sitting on my butt breastfeeding for hours on end. If you are super concerned, just do no sugar/low carb (GD diet). Eat a lot of the good stuff, like veggies and lean protein. Do some prenatal yoga and kegals and try not to stress.

Incidentally, my weight gain between appointments was super inconsistent. Once, I showed 10 lbs gained in 4 weeks, then the same, then 2 lbs, basically evening me out to the schedule. Water retention and constipation really impact pregnancy weight.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    eat mostly veggies and lean proteins and skim milk. take your supplements. ask your doctor!
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Quit worrying about not gaining too much and just focus on your FOOD CHOICES.

If you eat good and whole foods, you will be fine.
  • wheezybreezy
    wheezybreezy Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    No advice really, as I sucked at weight gain during my pregnancies (60 lbs, 50 lbs, 42 lbs). But I would like to encourage you to continue to search for that motivation and commit to being healthy for yourself and your baby. I soooo wish I would have followed my own advice. I am more tired now, and getting less sleep now that the baby is here. It was harder to lose weight, and even though I was breastfeeding AND on birth control, I got pregnant with number 3 eight months after number 2 was born. I was beyond exhausted the whole pregnancy because I didn't take the time to care for myself during my first two. Congratulations on your pregnancy, and I hope you continue to do well!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I'm 24 weeks now, and I've been using MFP to track my intake. I have my calories set at maintenance + 1/2 lbs per week. I also make time to do at least 30 minutes of walking or light cardio every day. I've managed to keep my gain under control, only 14 lbs in 24 weeks. First 8 weeks, however, I wasn't really tracking, eating like crap, and sitting on my butt too much. As soon as I started tracking and making time to walk every day, I started feeling a lot better.

MFP is a great tracking tool for pregnancy. Start making it a daily goal to track your intake and work on eating calcium and iron rich foods as much as you can. It'll make you feel 100% better, I promise.

I'm proof that you CAN have a healthy pregnancy weight gain with some diligence and dedication! Please feel free to add me if you want!
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I kept my calories at about 1810 (300 calories more than when I was trying to lose) until I hit the 3rd trimester. I then did MFP settings to gain .5 pounds a week. I went the last 6 weeks with no weight gain, but I should have gained with my next appointment. My doctor wasn't concerned, since my belly is growing like normal. I was actively trying to lose weight the First trimester, because I didn't know I was pregnant. Always talk to your doctor, of course. But that's what I ended up doing. I also get 3 days at least of walking in a week. Usually not more than a mile or 2 at a time, but it's something.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Thanks, ladies! You are really helping to motivate me. I know I'll feel better when I start eating better and working out (even just walking). I don't want to have a huge struggle to lose the baby weight either.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    There is no reason to gain fat during pregnancy. Weight gain should be minimal, especially if you are overweight going into your pregnancy. I don't see why the typical mom would gain more than 25 pounds. I think I gained about 20 with each of mine and most of it came off within weeks of delivery. Actually MOST of it came off WITH delivery. I was overweight, but not yet hitting an obese on the BMI charts when I got pregnant each time. (I ended up finally with two children, oldest is 18).

I wish I'd had MFP when I was pregnant. Use it, take your vitamins and drink fluids! Don't let pregnancy be an excuse.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    I'm 24 weeks now, and I've been using MFP to track my intake. I have my calories set at maintenance + 1/2 lbs per week. I also make time to do at least 30 minutes of walking or light cardio every day. I've managed to keep my gain under control, only 14 lbs in 24 weeks. First 8 weeks, however, I wasn't really tracking, eating like crap, and sitting on my butt too much. As soon as I started tracking and making time to walk every day, I started feeling a lot better.

MFP is a great tracking tool for pregnancy. Start making it a daily goal to track your intake and work on eating calcium and iron rich foods as much as you can. It'll make you feel 100% better, I promise.

I'm proof that you CAN have a healthy pregnancy weight gain with some diligence and dedication! Please feel free to add me if you want!

This is a great example. Pregnancy weight gain is definitely controllable. A lot of women tend to eat a lot more than necessary during pregnancy. Good luck to you both :)
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to do your best to get rid of your 'whatever' attitude and do your best to stay on track with the appropriate calories for your needs....I had a whatever attitude and gained 100 lbs!!! mind you I had some ridiculous fluid retention, and I had quit smoking, but that was still over excessive!! I've managed to get it all off and get into better shape than I was before my pregnancy, but it wasn't easy, and took me about 2 years.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Listen to your doctor/midwife and focus on nutrition. They can give you a good diet. Also, if you eat regular healthy meals and eat healthy, you won't crave and binge. Babies take calories and they will let you know they need them!

Pregnancy isn't a reason to say 'whatever'. It's a great opportunity to make your diet as healthy as possible because it's about both you and your baby.

As a tip, I started doing 'aquasize' (water aerobics) during pregnancy because it was so easy on my body, built up all those muscles, and just felt great because I was so bouyant.

I did gain a lot during each of my pregnancies, but that's because I started very thin and I'm also very tall. But I lost the first trimester (without trying) because I ate well. I didn't gain a lot until the last two months, and that was primarily baby growth. Fat deposition and brain development are most rapid in the last 8 weeks.

However, with nursing I lost every pound plus 10 I had gained during the pregnancy. Babies change your life. And they can change your diet and nutrition for the better.
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I gained 50lbs with both of my children. If I have the chance to do it one more time. I am definitely going to pick up exercising after morning sickness ends. I am not going to eat for three people and just listen to my body like I do now. Continue to eat at my maintenance level and if I'm hungry I'll eat! freedieting.com has a pregnancy calculator.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I exercised and ate well when I was pregnant with my first, and I still put on weight. I reckon, after my son was born, I was around 30lbs heavier than before. I think the thing for me was I had just lost around 45lbs for my wedding, but I hadn't done it sensibly, i'd eaten far too low calories and cut out carbs, and exercised a lot too. So when I was pregnant I carved carbs and just eating a normal amount of food, instead of 1200 calories or less a day, made me gain weight. Although I was fine until around 30 weeks, when i think I slacked a bit on the exercise, and then when I went on maternity leave at 36 weeks I wasn't as active, and I had far too many coffees and cakes out, and then I went 10 days overdue.

I lost it all after, but it took a lot of hard work, and again I was stupid about eating and didn't eat enough, so I piled it all back on in my 2nd pregnancy. My son was just under 14 months when I got pregnant with my daughter, and I had some early bleeding which scared me and put me off going to the gym, and then I'd got out of the habit, although I did go infrequently, and I did take my son out for walks quite a lot. I know I ate too much too. I didn't eat excessively, but I had far too many sweet treats. Then I had milk supply issues and took domperidone to increase it, which didn't even work, and made me gain more weight.

My daughter is 17 months old now and I am slimmer than when i got married, in fact I am nearly as thin as I was 10 years ago when I was the thinnest I've ever been. This time I have done it the right way and I eat sensibly and don't restrict anything, plus of course I still exercise a lot, and I have 2 kids to run round after now!

I'd really like to have another baby but I am so scared I will gain it all back again. I'm thinking of trying next March/April time and I'd like to be at my goal weight then and a UK size 10/12 (US 6/8). I figure that by then I will have had nearly 2 years of this healthy lifestyle that I will find it easier to continue with the gym, and the MFP logging. Plus my 2 kids keep me active.

I would say that keeping active helped me have easy births with my 2 - I have had 2 short labours, managed on just gas and air, and not needed stitches either time. I do think that is due to keeping fit. Even though I gained a lot of weight with my 2nd, I was still fit.
  • TheFairyJester
    Options
    my method when i was pregnant was 24/7 'morning' sickness
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    my method when i was pregnant was 24/7 'morning' sickness

lol. I wasn't ever sick with my son, and in fact only felt nauseous for around 4 weeks, and with my daughter I puked twice and felt nauseous until around 14 weeks pregnant. It was horrible at the time and I do really feel for anyone who pukes regularly, but it must be great for weight loss!