Pregnant at 44?

Options
schustc
schustc Posts: 428 Member
Just wondering, how many were able to achieve this - I saw a similar post but there were over 20 pages to filter through and most were people in their 20's and 30's - (too hard to find the needle in the haystack!) ....

anyone do this? was it uncomplicated, healthy?

We'd like to have one more, and I know the window is closing. I am 43 now, but not for long. I'm not sure it's even possible, but am certain that if it does not happen next year (at 44), then I probably won't press it beyond that.

Thoughts?

Replies

• jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    bump...I am 38 , also wondering the same thing as I probably won't be having one anytime soon
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    I had a friend of mine who had her one and only at 45 and she and the baby were perfectly healthy. You will most likely have to have a LOT more Drs appts and monitoring but, it is SOOOO definitely possible!! :-)

GOOD LUCK!!!!
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    It's not impossible. Just difficult, and the risk of there being complications with pregnancy rises a lot after the age of 35, apparently.

That being said, a friend of mines mother was 46 when she had her.

Good luck :)
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Just wondering, how many were able to achieve this - I saw a similar post but there were over 20 pages to filter through and most were people in their 20's and 30's - (too hard to find the needle in the haystack!) ....

anyone do this? was it uncomplicated, healthy?

We'd like to have one more, and I know the window is closing. I am 43 now, but not for long. I'm not sure it's even possible, but am certain that if it does not happen next year (at 44), then I probably won't press it beyond that.

Thoughts?

My aunt had her son in her early 40's. She had a healthy, uncomplicated pregnancy and she had a scheduled c section. She did complain the whole time that it was a lot harder than when she had her daughter. I would l think that may be it would zap your energy but that is true with anyone. I know that my doctor told me that there is a higher risk of problems with the baby the older you are but that is true with anyone no one is immune to that regardless of what age you are. I say if you are healthy and its possible for you go for it.
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I am 40, other wise completely healthy. The only thing I think that would be different this time than my 2 others, is being more tired than I was when I was younger.....but heck....that isn't just about pregnancy/babies, that is just life.:) I say if someone has no reason health wise to worry, go for it. Prenatal care has come so far now....Good luck to you if you decide it is right.:)
  • SopranogirlCa
    SopranogirlCa Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I know someone who had her second kid at 47. Everything went well and all were healthy.
  • carlydevi
    carlydevi Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My aunt had her daughter at 44, now a friend of my Mom is pregnant at 46 and up until now, everything's fine.

It's possible, but of course the risks are higher. :)
  • Adina81
    Adina81 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Have sex....10 times a week.
    Ohhh, you'll get a baby alright.

Good luck!!
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    It's not 44, but my mother had my baby sister when she was 38. She had ne and my brother in her early 20s.

It was actually unintended, as from family history she was thinking she had early menopause symptoms. Her placenta separated during the pregnancy, due to uterus aging, but she managed to get the pregnancy to the 8 month without the heavy medication the doctor recommended. My sister was born 8 months into the pregnancy and she is a healthy child. She gave birth in the natural way with no problems. My mom in the other hand has severe back problems during the last months of pregnancy.

But her best friend that wanted children at 40 years had many miscarriages, and in the end managed to gave birth and the baby does have development problems and a hearing deficiency (born it was born 7 months in the pregnancy).

It really depends on the woman, her health and so on. Agging affects every woman differently and their internal organs differently. But investigations
    In the end, even a 25 years woman can smoke the hell out all pregnancy and give birth of a baby with problems. It's not only the age, it's about how much care you give to your body during the period you are trying to conceive and during the pregnancy. It's getting harder with the age, but not impossible.
  • 4d9r
    4d9r Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    It's very possible!
    I had my first when I was 37, my second at 43.
    Both beautiful, thankfully healthy kids. actually, at 37 I never gave it a second thought. My mom was 40 when she had me, after all!
    They do warn of an increase in the risk of certain defects (uncertain of the word) as you get older, and you will likely be offered testing for those. Any concerns you should definitely discuss with your doctor.
    Best of luck to you! Hope things work out as well for you as they did for me. :flowerforyou:
  • fizzletto
    fizzletto Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Even though you're past your optimal fertility age, it certainly is possible to conceive at 44. However, please, please realise that your chances of having a baby with Down syndrome and other developmental disorders are very high at your age. Please only try for a baby if you know that you would be well equipped to handle that kind of thing.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    My big sister quite literally unexpectedly got pregnant at 45. She delivered a beautiful and healthy baby girl 3 weeks before her 46th b-day. My niece is almost 6 now and smart as a tack! My sister actually thought it was jet lag or menopause!! LOL!!! We can't imagine our lives without little Miss Rachel!!
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    My niece is 42 and expecting her first baby in March. You can do this!
  • juicy_cat
    juicy_cat Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I think it's a mad idea...dangerous for the mother and if you do have a child at this age you will have no retirement to look foward to at all...but then I am selfish and could not bear the thought of having to look after a teenager whilst in my late 50s/early 60s
  • murygirl
    Options
    My Grandmother had her last child at 50. I didn't start having children until I was 30 and had my third one when I was 40. It's very possible. The older you are the harder it is on your body , just keep active for as long as you can.
  • RedHotHunter
    RedHotHunter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    39, no kids, and just want to wish you the very best!
  • rrneal625
    rrneal625 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I used to work OB/GYN and had a case in which a 54 year old was pregnant with twins. Granted, she achieved pregnancy via IVF but successfully carried them to term and delivered without complications. At age 35, pregnant women are considered to be AMA = advanced maternal age / higher risk....and as someone else mentioned, this involves closer monitoring, more doctors appointments, etc....

Many more women of "AMA" are achieving and sustaining normal uncomplicated pregnancies these days - my recommendation for anyone in this category would be to consider having a pre- pregnancy planning meeting with her OB/GYN and / or genetic counselor / peri-natologist.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    If Mother Nature hasn't waved her magic Cease and Desist wand over you yet there's probably a chance of pregnancy. Your doctor is in the best position to assess your chances and inform you of all the risks to yourself and a potential child though. I hope you get the best result for you and your family.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    great info!!! :happy:
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Even though you're past your optimal fertility age, it certainly is possible to conceive at 44. However, please, please realise that your chances of having a baby with Down syndrome and other developmental disorders are very high at your age. Please only try for a baby if you know that you would be well equipped to handle that kind of thing.

This. I know two women who conceived that late. One baby has down syndrome and the other died from trisonomy 18 (a chromosomal abnormality that's not compatible with life. Not to say that you couldn't have a healthy baby, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared for the odds. Good luck!