Grapes versus WW Giant Chocolate Ice Cream

Options
When I was a member of Weight Watchers, the FIRST thing I would put on my tracker every day is my WW Giant Chocolate Ice Cream for dinner (or evening dessert). I am trying hard to eat healthy but I also have to balance my sweet tooth.

A friend recommended that I eat frozen grapes. I put 10 in a bag and freeze them and hey are very tasty and curve that sweet tooth however, much to my surprise last night I discovered that my 10 frozen grapes are 110 and the WW Giant Chocolate Ice Cream bar is only 100 calories!!

Does anybody have any thoughts on why I should eat the grapes vice the Ice Cream? I can't help but think there is probably nutritional value here but I'm wondering if eating ice cream in the evening is bad for me compared to eating the grapes.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Replies

• jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    10 grapes are not 110 cals. Use the correct database entry

10 grapes are around 16 cals
  • llpleslie
    Options
    10 grapes are 34 calories or 3.5 a grape. They are also a better alternative to ice cream, but whatever works for you. I eat 30 grapes when I need a sweet fix.
  • senglishrose
    senglishrose Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    ok...I'm totally confused. I selected grapes, green seedless grapes and it says 110 calories. One of you say 34 calories and another says 16 calories....I like them both compared to 110.

I have a friend on here that has a banana and hers says 53 calories and I have been selecting a small banana that is 80 calories.

jo_marnes -- You say selected the correct database. Is there more than one database and I picking from the wrong one?
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    The USDA lists 10 grapes (49 grams) as being 39.46 calories.

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/2257?fg=Fruits+and+Fruit+Juices&man=&lfacet=&format=&count=&max=25&offset=100&sort=&qlookup=

That's for European seedless. American grapes are 19.5 calories for 10. I have no clue what the difference is. I'm guessing the European seedless are the ones usually eaten.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    When in doubt, I either pick the MFP food, or if I know the brand, pick that. For example, since it's produce, it's probably pretty standard, so I would pick the MFP setting for the grape. You can tell because it doesn't have a * next to it.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    If you don't have one yet, get a kitchen scale because "10 grapes(49grams)” is 39.46 calories...
    But not every bowl of 10 grapes IS 49 grams.

Me, personally--> frozen things give me headaches and too much dairy is 'binding' for me, so I'd have non-frozen grapes. Red seedless. With a square od organic dark chocolate.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    ok...I'm totally confused. I selected grapes, green seedless grapes and it says 110 calories. One of you say 34 calories and another says 16 calories....I like them both compared to 110.

I have a friend on here that has a banana and hers says 53 calories and I have been selecting a small banana that is 80 calories.

jo_marnes -- You say selected the correct database. Is there more than one database and I picking from the wrong one?

There is only one database. I think she means pick the correct food.

And there is no banana that is only 53 calories. Unless she only ate a partial banana, or a very, very, very small banana. I would guess your banana selection is closer to correct...
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i dont trust the database. i double check it against a google search.

also it might go a long way if you can break your habit of needing a sweet fix everyday.
  • senglishrose
    Options
    Thanks everybody for you comments. I do prefer to eat things that I know the value.

I am right now getting my sweet fix from "KIND" bars (dark chocolate, cherry cashew is awesome!!) because I am having to pick foods that are gluten free and that in itself I am finding challenging but I'm doing it.
  • vikdexkaykai
    vikdexkaykai Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I see which selection you chose and don't know why it says that 10 grapes are 110 cals. If that was the case, personally, I'd choose the WW ice cream bar anyday. LOL. But it's not the case and actually you can have 1 cup of grapes and it's 102 cals.

So now the choice is yours...(I'd still go for the ice cream; I also have a sweet tooth, especially after meals!) :laugh:
  • vikdexkaykai
    vikdexkaykai Posts: 92 Member
    Options

There is only one database. I think she means pick the correct food.

And there is no banana that is only 53 calories. Unless she only ate a partial banana, or a very, very, very small banana. I would guess your banana selection is closer to correct...

I will also look at a few options from the data base and see what the majority say to be to get a better idea to the closest cal value.
    Or I will also GOOGLE it to double check on the inconsistencies!
  • senglishrose
    Options
    @vikdexkaykai -- thanks for validating that what I picked was real and it says 110 cals lol -- I was beginning to think my selection database was from the twightlight zone lol

While I will pick my ice cream options periodically, I also know that sometimes I lose control of ice cream when it's in the house so I have to be careful. A woman's got to know her limitations and sometimes I forget!!
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Yep you will find wide variations in all popular foods. Data is entered by members here. Some people obviously really suck at entering correct data. Look for sub missions that have a lot of verifications, but bottom line is you should personally verify the foods you consume on a regular basis.

Back to the topic: Although grapes are likely indeed better for you, they are not exactly some sort of miracle superfood. If you have room in your diet for some ice cream, and that's what you want, eat it. You're much more likely to stick with your eating plan long term if you don't feel like you're denying yourself anything.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Calories aside, grapes are better than ice cream for nutritional value.
  • julielittlefish
    julielittlefish Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'd choose the grapes over the ice cream because of the difference in ingredients--grapes are a whole food, the ice cream is processed.

I'm not sure if this is the exact one that you're eating, but this is where I got my info:
    http://www.fooducate.com/app#page=product&id=75AAEBE4-C9D0-11E1-956E-1231381BA074

and these are the ingredients: milk fat and nonfat milk, sugar, polydextrose, corn syrup, cocoa processed with alkali, cellulose gel, mono- and diglycerides, cellulose gum, carrageenan, maltodextrin, vitamin a palmitate.

It also lists 4 teaspoons of sugar per serving.

If the grapes are curbing your sweet tooth, then definitely stick with those and deal with the extra calories accordingly. It isn't all about quantity, but also about quality.
  • julielittlefish
    julielittlefish Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    My bad. Think I posted the info for the fudge bar. There isn't much difference with the ice cream bar. Similar ingredients, still 4 tsp of sugar.

http://www.fooducate.com/app#page=product&id=D3A8D862-E10D-11DF-A102-FEFD45A4D471
  • senglishrose
    Options
    I agree that I should eat what I'm really yearning for because sometimes I have eaten a "ton" of nutritional food trying to avoid the one that I don't feel is as good for me and I would have saved myself a bunch of calories if I had just ate what I was really yearning for.

Thanks for the nutritional information :)