Thinning Hair.

Options
Does anyone know the vitamin that thickens hair? I just started (4 days ago) taking a daily multi-vitamin, but I think that my hair is thinning from all the weight loss. I'd hate to think that I am unhealthy, but my body could just be in shock. After losing 75 lbs now and recently quitting smoking, I think my body might freak out.

I just don't want to go bald!!!! Also - any tips from smokers so I don't gain weight? I quit two weeks ago and feel like I am eating more. It definitely could be mental, but who knows.

Replies

• juliet8887
    juliet8887 Posts: 18
    Options
    Does anyone know the vitamin that thickens hair? I just started (4 days ago) taking a daily multi-vitamin, but I think that my hair is thinning from all the weight loss. I'd hate to think that I am unhealthy, but my body could just be in shock. After losing 75 lbs now and recently quitting smoking, I think my body might freak out.

I just don't want to go bald!!!! Also - any tips from smokers so I don't gain weight? I quit two weeks ago and feel like I am eating more. It definitely could be mental, but who knows.
  • blum0133
    blum0133 Posts: 88
    Options
    I became a vegetarian 2 years ago and was warned by my doctor that my hair may start thinning because I wasnt getting enough protein. Sure enough, he was right. After a year of not eating a whole lot of protein my hair thinned out a lot..so, I guess I would say make sure you are getting enough protein in your diet! that is the only vitamin i konw of.

As for smoking, i am not a smoker personally but I have head that it is mostly a mental thing for smokers who gain weight. They are used to putting cigs in their mouth and replace it with food because mentally it is the act of putting something in their mouth that they are so used to...if that makes sense? I have heard that keeping busy with your hands helps...if you do any arts and crafts or things such as that? Like, instead of sitting in front of the TV and feeling the need to have a snack, try to keep your hands busy doing something esle.
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    Here is a tip to stop dropping hair and this is a proven fact (feel free to google it.) Use Johnson's Baby shampoo and your hair loss will almost cease. I tried it and it worked for me. My hair stopped shedding at such a fast rate, that it got too thick that I switched back to normal shampoo (scalp only, of course.)
  • Mags
    Mags Posts: 91 Member
    Options

Shock can make you hair drop out at a scary rate. :cry: Your thryoid and sympathetic and parasympathetic functions go into overdrive and it can affect your entire system, including your hormones which directly affects hair. Yoga, when practiced regularly and properly, will help level and balance your body's systems as hair loss, especially when body in in shock, can result from dis-eases that affect the body generally (systemic dis-eases).

http://healing.about.com/od/aging/a/hairloss.htm

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/14742-yoga?page=1#posts-116298

I don't know of a multi-vitamin myself but acupuncture can help with this and keeping your body in balance, as can the herbs they can provide for you so a good chinese doctor also may be able to suggest a tablet.

There are over the counter tonics to help with hair loss which thicken the hair for up to 9 months. If you decide the try any of these products bring it to your hairdresser and ask him/her to apply; think of the bad home dye job we all did at some stage; its very important the product is applied evenly as it does work and you don't want a patchy look

As an aside, it worth reading up on contraceptive pill if you take it as again this can effect your hormone levels but shock can have a huge impact on the system's balance.

Smoking generally increasing the speed of your metabolism. Walk in the sunlight as a certain amount of light (light feeds the pituitary gland by going into the eyes) is need for good health. The pituitary gland is closely associated with the functioning of the sex glands, adrenals (shock/strees/fight & flight function) and thyroid (hormones).

So keep moving to make up for any loss incurred by stopping. :happy: and take whatever multi-vitamins your body needs as a temporary measure to to get your body through until you get to the bottom of the problem and resolve it.

Mags

60770.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I have been having some issues as well. I think it is because of my having lost 85 lbs since September. I did it a healthy way and didn't cut calories to starvation at all but I think the shock to my system just affected it. My whole body composition has changed with this weight loss. Also, something that may have affected it was my not getting enough fat. I would cut fat so much but it isn't fat that makes you fat, its the volume of food. So, I have been working to make sure I get enough fat into my diet (through nuts, nut butters, etc)..and get more protein. I also take a multi-vitamin. We shall see. It has been pretty shocking to me because I have always had a thick head of hair.

I may try the baby shampoo thing. We shall see! Glad I am not the only one!! LOL!
  • melissa73
    melissa73 Posts: 368
    Options
    I to have noticed this... I searched on the past posts and read them. Tami did you notice any difference in your hair after you started eating more protein and fat? I have also heard that biotin and zinc is good for your hair. I have had my thyroid checked and it is not that... It is good to know that I am not the only one. Maybe we should have a woman's balding club....lol :laugh: I would like to see what anybody else has to say....
  • kirstylouise
    Options
    I take a supplement called Perfectil for skin, hair and nails - http://www.vitabiotics.com/perfectil/perfectil_info3.aspx

I have found it has really helped my hair which thinned after I was ill for a bit and lost weight. After taking this for about 3 months I noticed an improvement in my hair so I guess you need to stick with it for a bit to get the benefit.
  • cheermom11
    cheermom11 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Juliet & Friends -

The same thing started happening to me. I just purchased the Kirkland Brand multi-vitamin from Costco and it seemed to have done the trick. Soon after, I also started taking a calcium supplement too. Maybe it was the combination that stopped it?

It's frustrating. Good luck!
    Lynn
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Probably just lack of nutrients. Plus all hair goes through cycles.

Johnson's baby shampoo is pretty much just soap! :P
  • Gorgeous
    Gorgeous Posts: 248
    Options
    try

Biotin
    and Pre natal vits

i took both when i chopped my hair off
    it grew back thicker and longer WAY FAST!
  • Gabbi
    Gabbi Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Chewing sugarless gum helped me when i quit smoking.