Exercising while sick...

Options
Has anyone found any benefit exercising while having a cold/flu? I have a cold and am still exercising (30 Day Shred) but I find it's harder than normal. I want to take a day off, but I feel guilty about it. Any advice?

Replies

• arachniagirl
    arachniagirl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'll exercise through a cold, but if it's an actual flu I would rest. I do however lower the intensity of my workouts when I'm sick and I don't push myself too hard.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Give your body a rest for a couple of days. It's not going to derail your fitness or nutrition efforts. Your body needs to use that energy to fight off the infection so just take it easy. The workouts will be there when you come back.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    I am dealing with bronchitis right now and am having a hard time going up and down stairs with out being out of breath I would listen to your body If you feel up to it do it , if not rest for a few day Hope you feel better soon :bigsmile:
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I like to exercise when I have a cold, but if I'm feverish, or actually have influenza, I'd barely be able to get out of bed, let alone consider exercise.
  • walknsunshine
    walknsunshine Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Go for a 30 minute walk at a moderate pace. It always makes me feel better.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    With a cold, I will continue exercising. Anything worse and I'm down for the count, except for perhaps a walk.
  • Sheirai
    Sheirai Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It's okay to exercise at a low to moderate intensity if your feeling up to it, but exercising hard when a virus is in full force puts a lot of stress on your body, and can lower your immune response, so taking a rest day or 2 may be a good idea. There is some evidence that getting your body temperature a little thru exercise up can actually help you to kick a virus, but it's not a good idea if you already have a fever. Likewise, if you have a lot of bronchial congestion, I would take it easy for awhile.
  • Sheirai
    Sheirai Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I meant raising your body temperature thru exercise can be helpful...damn typo.
  • amandahahn85
    amandahahn85 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone (:
  • lauriem1966
    lauriem1966 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    If I am sick I limit myself to a walk on the treadmill. Go slower than normal, just to keep the body moving. I get so achy when I'm sick and I'm sure its because of all the extra sitting and laying around.