Swimming - Lap Pool Style

Options
Hello!

Today I started my swim training for my first Sprint Triathlon. I waited my turn for a lane and only planned on swimming for 30 minutes today. For some reason though, everyone wanted to share a lane with me! Do you think they asked anyone else - no! Apparently I've learned that it's proper etiquette to share a lane, but I really have a hard time working out with other people so I declined 3 requests. I'm sure people were angry, but I don't know what to do.

I run outside - by myself, at my own pace. I bike outside, at my own pace. So why do I have to share a lane at the lap pool - and keep up with someone else? I don't know their strengths or weaknesses.

HELP!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of working out by myself. BUT as a lifetime swimmer and having been on swim teams, I think you are being a bit paranoid.

When you "share" a lane (and sometimes I share with up to three other swimmers) you work out a rhythm and it works fine. Most public pools have a "fast" lane and a "slow" lane, so decide which you are comfortable with and learn to share.

If you are faster than everyone, they will wait and let you pass at the turn if you are right on their feet and can't pass. If you are slower you can do the same. It always works out just fine. No one is there to take something away from anyone else. It's not a competition, and you are all there for the same reason. And I assume it's a public pool or gym, so everyone has the same rights as you......So relax. And learn to share. We learned that in kindergarten where I grew up. You'll make some friends, and if someone is in your lane it will step up your workout and get those competitive juices flowing!

Just have fun with it. I think you'll find you like it.
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    Hello

The pool I swim in at the Y has 5 lanes. The slower people tend to swim in lane 1 and the faster people swim in lane 5. When I go swimming not during a class I look to see who is swimming about my speed and ask to share a lane with them. If there is an open lane I go for that. The other thing is you may look more approachable then other people swimming. You want to get someone's attention to ask about sharing a lane. The person swimming non-stop and doing flip turns at both ends is going to be harder to ask then someone who is stopping after each lap.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    hmm, this is the first time I've ever heard about having to ask someone to share a lane:noway: If that was the case, half the people who swim would be left to wait 30 minutes while the lanes were full. That doesn't sound fun.

Our pool also has fast and slow lanes. But you can tell right away which lane is best for you at any given time. And yes, sometimes it isn't a perfect match. Wow. I'm glad I don't swim at your pools. I'd hate to spend money to swim and maybe not be able to get in.....is that a rule, or just a courtesy thing?
  • HulaCherry
    Options
    I'm not paranoid, and yes, I did learn how to share in Kindergarten. :-) I figured, I waited my turn to swim today, and I enjoy my own personal space. I was confused as to why it couldn't be treated like a treadmill - 30 minute cap if there are people waiting.

I didn't mean to anger anyone on here. I find that people on MFP usually offer very good advice which is why I came here as soon as my workout was complete.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    oops, I wasn't angry. I just have never seen a pool that makes people wait to swim, that's all. I don't see it as a problem to share, but then I've been swimming all my life on teams and races.

When you share a lane, you swim outbound on the right, and back on the left - in a circle. You pass in the middle, and the common rule of courtesy is to "pull over" if someone is overtaking you and stand to the right so she can do her turn. Really, I don't see it as a problem to share....to each her own.

When you are in a race, if it is open water, you had better be prepared for the pushing and shoving in the water. :smile: