NOT sure why...

Options
But I am my own worst enemy! Just when I see a small amount of progess, I throw myself off into the deep end as a reward! WTH?? Why do I do this? Why can't I just be happy not eating things that aren't good for me?

My food journals have been completely honest and some days I consume more than double what I should? I WANT to lose this weight, so why am I sabotaging myself?? I don't get it. My will power is nil. I wake up with the best intentions, I have a good breakie and then it all goes, you know where, in a hand basket.

I need some suggestions.
I need some serious exercises I can do at home (I can't afford a gym pass right now)
and I need to know how others have gotten themselves past this. I know I'm not the only one. So please, tell me how you did it!!
I'm desperate for help and I'm desperate to not spend the latter part of my 20's in plus sizes.

I also know rome wasn't built in a day, so this will be a long struggle, but I think if I had some ideas of what to say to myself when I'm faced with a second piece of cake, or a plate of staff treats...

My birthday is coming up in a few weeks and I would love to get dressed up and feel pretty, not get dressed to hide what I look like.

Ugh. whay is this so freaking hard?!?!?!:sad: :explode: :frown:

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    First off, you can do this it takes having a game plan though. Here are something I did.

1. I don't go to a gym either. I bought a set of 5lb handweights, a stability ball and a workout DVD. I also borrow things from the library (free is great) like books on weight lifting.
    2. Then, since I had a bike, I started cycling 3 times a week.
    3. I started tracking what I eat and tried each day to cut down my calorie intake by a couple hundred calories until I was at my target calorie amount. I have never gone bellow 1350 calories a day and I eat as many exercise calories as I can.
    4. I picked up the Couch to 5K program and started running.
    5. I write down on a paper on my Fridge my goals for the week so I can look at them each time I am in the kitchen. For example: Monday Run 2 miles, drink 8 glasses of water, and do 20 minutes of yoga. It helps keep you focused on what you are working on.

The real trick is to never feel deprived. I eat all my favorite foods but I have found ways to cook them in healthier ways or to eat smaller portions. When I first started, I would eat a salad at the start of every meal. That way I wouldn't overeat on the higher calories fresh breads or meats.

Good Luck.
  • Frogman1982
    Options
    Portion control is key, if you deprive yourself of the things you like you will binge. I used to eat the whole pizza instead of just one or two slices. The reality check of this site is what I like most, if you are honest you see what you are doing and it gives you the power to change. Hang in there and you will see progess. Watch the infomercials for P90X and Insanity, I didnt buy just use for motivation.
  • leelu
    leelu Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Try having some non food rewards ready to go when you reach a mini goal. you can treat yourself with these things and feel like you have had a instant gratification treat when you need one :)

Mine is some new bed things - when i reach 10 kilos i already know which i am getting have them cut out of a magazine on the fridge - new sheets and doona cover - almost there !
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    It has helped me having a different relationship with food. It is okay to reward yourself, but not with your trigger food. As for me, a few days I was on a binge, I had to find out what was trigger it and solve it FAST. I eat basically everything I want. I also cut calories different places in my day, to have a "cheat" food. This is a long process and it takes time, you can do it!!
  • indy2bird
    indy2bird Posts: 13
    Options
    I found myself in the same cycle as you. It is very hard on your self confidence. Someone told me once you may not actually be hungry, you may have some type of a need either physically or mentally that you are trying to feed. For whatever reason that helped, it made me really watch what I was eating. Instead of reaching for a snack first try drinking a glass of water and see if you are still hungry afterwards. Sometimes, when dehydrated our body sends out hunger signals. Another thing I like has no fat, low in calories is Dole pineapple cups in pineapple juice. They are sweet and help curb my sweet tooth.
    I also do not go to the gym. I have purchased several of Leslie Sansone's DVD's and alternate them. Walmart has them relatively cheap and I found some at Ocean State Job Lots for $2 a piece. These give me a great workout in a little amount of time I can do one mile which takes about 12 minutes, or do several miles and have over a thirty minute workout. It normally depends on my work schedule.
    If you need anything just yell we are here to support each other!!
  • eliz405
    eliz405 Posts: 9
    Options
    I started taking the Alli pill about a month ago. It has really helped me to learn about healthier portions and choices. I realize that I am partially motived to eat the right things out of "fear" of treament effects, however, I am also motivated by my desire to have a healthy weight, to retrain myself to enjoy healthy food. My biggest triggers are things like pizza and ice cream. I still enjoy those things just less of them. When I do enjoy them, I opt for weight watchers pizza and a big salad or skinney cow truffles. :love:

I know that I will not be on Alli forever, this is not easy. At all. I have to learn to love myself and know that food is not here to make me feel better or happier. Learning to eat to live not live to eat.

I read a quote in someones signature here at MFP that said "The reason most people fail is that they trade what they WANT THE MOST, for what they WANT AT THE MOMENT" I remind myself of that often because I can relate with that. I want to thin wear a size 14 (or less) but then I crave the taste of __________ (whatever) and I choose that instant gradification over what I want most in life for myself. In my experience, certain foods are for me as alcohol and drugs are for an addict. Sometimes, it s just one meal at a time.

You can do it! Don't give up!
  • Kmill217
    Kmill217 Posts: 204
    Options
    AHH- You answered your question in your PROFILE!!!!!

"I have a wonderful hubby whom I want to look stunning for even though he has loved me no matter what I look like :)"

" YOUR KIDS"

WRITE THIS STUFF DOWN.

For me...I keep Special forces and Ranger creed in my room. I know I cannot eat crap in order to get into these schools in the army. It is what movtivates me. It zaps the shizzy out of any trigger food I can think of. And I am eating out of a crappy cafeteria here in Korea....imagine how many cravings I get!!! But I don't give in because it isn't worth it.

Find out what motivates you, and hone in on that. Don't lose it.

Eat, Drink, but most importantly always BE HAPPY!
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I started succeeding when I stopped thinking about losing weight so damn much! I know I need to lose weight but I stopped making it the focus of my life. I eat healthy most days, I have screw up days on some days (see my thread from today :laugh: ), and I make a point to workout a good 3 to 4 days a week on most weeks! Just make an effort to eat healthier and exercise and the weight will come off.

I do not reward myself. The reward is my body transformation. With that said, if I want a hamburger, I eat one. I don't call it a reward.
  • sunshineshardz
    Options
    Thanks everyone! These are very helpful suggestions :flowerforyou:

I knew I could count on encouragement if I asked for it. I can tell my day will turn out ok afterall.

I will definitely take these suggestions and use them. I am going to put onto my fridge: my written goals, my motivations and a picture of ME when I was thin! :happy:

I'm also going to make a list of "rewards" that are NOT food related! I like the sounds of new sheets, or a new pair of work out socks...especially since i'll be dusting of my old tae bo vids tonight!
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I feel your pain as I have been doing the same thing to myself. I have been very successful losing weight over the past 8 weeks and now all of a sudden, I feel entitled and it is like I am sabotaging my efforts. Why do we do this to ourselves? Not really sure, but think we are at an advantage BECAUSE we are aware of it. So let's use that knowledge, and we can begin a new week with a renewed commitment. Tomorrow is my weigh in day and I have been on a downhill spiral since last Monday after I had lost 4.6 pounds in one week! Am expecting the scales to reflect a gain tomorrow and will just have to suck it up. My suggestions to you and myself, are to just stock those fresh veggies and fruits and not bring the other stuff into the house! ALSO to plan your meals in advance and pack your lunches each day, so that you leave home knowing what you are having and won't be tempted to impulse purchase. Remain focused on what your goal is, forgive yourself, and let's start afresh TODAY!!! RIght NOW!!!! You have lots of cheerleaders pulling for you to succeed. You CAN do it!
  • sunshineshardz
    Options
    I feel your pain as I have been doing the same thing to myself. I have been very successful losing weight over the past 8 weeks and now all of a sudden, I feel entitled and it is like I am sabotaging my efforts. Why do we do this to ourselves? Not really sure, but think we are at an advantage BECAUSE we are aware of it. So let's use that knowledge, and we can begin a new week with a renewed commitment. Tomorrow is my weigh in day and I have been on a downhill spiral since last Monday after I had lost 4.6 pounds in one week! Am expecting the scales to reflect a gain tomorrow and will just have to suck it up. My suggestions to you and myself, are to just stock those fresh veggies and fruits and not bring the other stuff into the house! ALSO to plan your meals in advance and pack your lunches each day, so that you leave home knowing what you are having and won't be tempted to impulse purchase. Remain focused on what your goal is, forgive yourself, and let's start afresh TODAY!!! RIght NOW!!!! You have lots of cheerleaders pulling for you to succeed. You CAN do it!

YES!!!!! This is exactly what I needed to hear :heart: I have already sent my hubby to the grocery store with a long list of fruits veggies and oatmeal lol. I can succeed!!
  • guidosgal
    guidosgal Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Hi

Hope you are getting ready to concur the world on this site. I will tell you with some strong determination and the will to succeed you will go far. I have done well by logging all my food. It helps to do it before you eat it (you will be surprise how many calories are in things) I check,check and recheck the calorie content because they are not always accurate on the site. I am not a big exercise person (very hard to fit it in most days) . I work out abit with my WII (too much fun) also If you are here you have the internet look up exercize videos on youtube (and exersize with them also if you have Comcast cable they have free exercizes in the on demand sports and fitness section (Its Free to do) I am doing Bollywood workout (to much fun) I started by calorie level at 1200 but after a few weeks I discovered that it was far to low so I brought it up to 1430 and I lose 1 pound a week almost like clockwork. I hit the wall a couple times and did not lose for the week then the following week it got its MoJo back and off it came. I can tell you that I do budget for a treat ( I love Yoplait delights chocolate raspberry) There is a really good web site hungry girl.com tons of recipes for some yummy food (one of my favs is chicken cordon blu ) I really began to have more energy at about 20 pounds off. It is funny because the body changes slowly but its cool to discover all the new things that you have (or to be more exact the things you don’t have) like one less roll on your tummy or hey I forgot I have dimples in my cheeks :bigsmile: Again you can do it just hang in there an be patient. The person you want to see is there you just have to find her but remember to enjoy all woman that you are each and every day.:flowerforyou:
    Pam
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with this too but reading all the encouragement you received has helped me too. I will keep coming back to this thread to read all the lovely replies you received everytime I feel like sabbotaging myself. Good luck. I know that you will get through this and me too x
  • sunshineshardz
    Options
    Hi

Hope you are getting ready to concur the world on this site. I will tell you with some strong determination and the will to succeed you will go far. I have done well by logging all my food. It helps to do it before you eat it (you will be surprise how many calories are in things) I check,check and recheck the calorie content because they are not always accurate on the site. I am not a big exercise person (very hard to fit it in most days) . I work out abit with my WII (too much fun) also If you are here you have the internet look up exercize videos on youtube (and exersize with them also if you have Comcast cable they have free exercizes in the on demand sports and fitness section (Its Free to do) I am doing Bollywood workout (to much fun) I started by calorie level at 1200 but after a few weeks I discovered that it was far to low so I brought it up to 1430 and I lose 1 pound a week almost like clockwork. I hit the wall a couple times and did not lose for the week then the following week it got its MoJo back and off it came. I can tell you that I do budget for a treat ( I love Yoplait delights chocolate raspberry) There is a really good web site hungry girl.com tons of recipes for some yummy food (one of my favs is chicken cordon blu ) I really began to have more energy at about 20 pounds off. It is funny because the body changes slowly but its cool to discover all the new things that you have (or to be more exact the things you don’t have) like one less roll on your tummy or hey I forgot I have dimples in my cheeks :bigsmile: Again you can do it just hang in there an be patient. The person you want to see is there you just have to find her but remember to enjoy all woman that you are each and every day.:flowerforyou:
    Pam

Thanks Pam. That's very inspiring :flowerforyou:
  • queensara2478
    Options
    Wow! What a bunch of great and inspiring advice. Not much more to say. The only other thing, I remember reading or hearing from somewhere, when your going to grab that bag of chips or cookies or brownies (my downfall!!) think, is this really worth it? Do I want to lose some weight or do I really want this (insert food temptation). 9 times out of 10 when I ask myself this question I am able to walk away from the temptation and stay on track.
    Good luck! Keep trying and plan your meals and pack them for the day. That really makes all the difference.
    We're all here for you!