Binging

Options
Anyone else get the urge to eat eat eat eat ad nauseum until vomiting? I know that isn't normal but sometimes when I feel down I get the urge to binge - not even appreciate what I am eating but just stuff myself with everything in sight as quickly as possible until I hurl. I think this has more to do with feeling depressed than feeling underfed or hungry.

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am having the same issue after losing some people in my life, I was at the gym daily and pretty strict about eating healthy and now been binge eating for a month which leaves me too tired and depressed to get working out. Bit of a nightmare, no idea how to break free, have tried and dread to think how much weight I have gained. Just as well I started off slightly underweight.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I have plenty of times where I just want to stuff my face with whatever I can find, till I'm just stuffed. I pray for help all the time with this. I'm dong better, with God's help.
  • LollypopGinger
    LollypopGinger Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same. It usually happens when I'm feeling stressed or down, which is a lot of the time at this time of year. I can't seem to stop myself. I know I'm doing it and know what it's doing to me but I just cannot stop!
  • schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Dealing a bit with the same. I think it's our dimented coping mechanism - we eat to fill the void of whatever is missing in our lives. Right now, mine is security - I'm having some medical testing on monday, and it has me freaked out - (I just posted similar story a few minutes ago).. I wonder how the thin people deal - or do they? maybe they have the same issues as the rest of us, just manage to have less stressful days - or - have different coping mechanisms (tobacco, alcohol, or exercise :) yeah - I haven't reached that blessing yet)...

Good luck!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Anyone else get the urge to eat eat eat eat ad nauseum until vomiting? I know that isn't normal but sometimes when I feel down I get the urge to binge - not even appreciate what I am eating but just stuff myself with everything in sight as quickly as possible until I hurl. I think this has more to do with feeling depressed than feeling underfed or hungry.

Sometimes these issues need to be addressed by a doctor before starting on a calorie deficit.

Being on a calorie deficit is hard. You can't do this journey on will power alone. You must set up your environment for success. Have a team around you in your real life, not just online. Get trigger foods out of the house. It will take some sacrifice and it's not easy. You might have to say no to some social events sometimes.

Too many changes at once can be hard on some people. I've always eaten healthy so it easy for me to simply eat less. Eating at a calorie deficit is hard on people; even a small deficit puts your body in a state of flux with hormones and such. Everyone is different. Some people can handle a deeper calorie deficit than others, this is not right or wrong, it just is. Stress in your life affects your hunger hormones; lack of sleep, fatigue, job stress, family stress, financial stress, etc. Add in emotional eating issues and it gets even more complicated. Most people can only handle so much change/stress at once, they try to do too much and fail. Sometimes it might be a better strategy to eat at maintenance and make some small changes first, it really depends on how much stress you are taking in at the moment.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    yes - no rhyme or reason to it but i try to fight the urge as best i can
  • jameseylefebure
    jameseylefebure Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I get like that where I just can't seem to stop eating, and like everyone else I find it's usually when I'm stressed out. I always think it's going to make me feel better, but usually it's just the start of a cycle of binging, being pissed that I binged, getting upset and doing it alllll over again :(
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I don't throw up, but this is how I would look after every meal if I wasn't motivated to get skinny again:

1126805587_a64fefcaa4_z.jpg?zz=
  • schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I don't throw up, but this is how I would look after every meal if I wasn't motivated to get skinny again:

1126805587_a64fefcaa4_z.jpg?zz=

Yikes!!!
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    mine is more like a crack head addiction. I'm getting increasingly allergic to peanuts. but i can not stop eating them. i need rehab. last night/morning i threw my guts up from a relatively small amount.

then ate more today.

i do not get whyyyyyyyy i can't stop eating it, knowing how sick i get!

its insanity.
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    i know it sounds so cheesy, but these prompts i made up really helped me get to my 30+ day no binge point. I bought myself a new journal with my favorite painting on it (Van Gough, Almond Blossom) in order for me to actually sort out my confused and jumbled thoughts i felt right before binge eating. at first i thought journaling was stupid and time consuming, but in all honesty bingeing IS time consuming so i really needed to crack down on myself, be patient, and write out my feelings. here we go:

1) write a letter to your urge to binge as if it were a person. what would you say to it? how would you explain how it makes you feel?
    2) if the men in black were to erase ALL of your memories except for one, what would that single memory be and why do you think it is really special to you?
    3) explain 5 things about you that make you unique/happy/excited for the future.
    4) write out on a piece of paper one word descriptions about exactly what you feel at that point. do you feel anxious, bored, angry, upset, tired, frustrated, etc? use varying font sizes, different colored pens/crayons to show the different intensities of each feeling.
    5) if you were to look in a mirror and see an inanimate object that represents your personality, what would it be and why? explain it as thoroughly as possible
    6) come up with a metaphor for your binges....do they feel like roller coasters? hurricanes? being gently rocked to sleep? fireworks? getting beat up by a giant? the more you shed light on your binges the less it acts like a phantom....so try to get to know and personify your `binge urge`
    7) identify your exact feelings before, during and after a binge. dont hold back, let it ALL out in your journal.
    8) write a love letter to yourself, talking about how you want to do what is best for you and why you are WORTH it (it sounds narcissistic...but once youre in `binge self sabotaging mode` you really need a HUGE pick-me-up and no ones gonna do it but yourself so start loving yourself!)
    9) find a picture in a magazine that really speaks to you, cut it out and paste it in your journal, and explain why you put it there.
    10) who is your fitness hero? what do you think they would tell you in your time of need? (i pictured jillian michaels saying, `Naomi, WHY would you want to eat all of this garbage? You`re hurting yourself, you don`t deserve to live like this. You are a beautiful person who doesnt need to feel this sort of self-inflicted pain`). Yeah...I really like jillian, okay?!

i truly hope this helps you guys...they really helped me better understand myself and why i binge. i am sort of a creative person so i really enjoy taking these weird/creative approaches to my problems, and i feel like its definitely been working so far. hope it helps you guys too!!!!!
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    You know what causes binge eating disorder? Dieting. Read "Brain Over Binge" by Kathryn Hansen, she's done some great research and explains exactly how our brain chemistry changes when we diet and makes some people end up with this problem.

Another good book is "The Diet Cure" by Julia Ross. She explains that many people get intense cravings for certain substances/foods because we're deficient in certain amino acids--the deficiency is caused by dieting. You can find her list of recommended amino acid supplements online for free if you Google "amino acid therapy chart."

That's what has been helpful for me. I'm still struggling but I have noticed an improvement after taking the amino acids for a few weeks.

Good luck!
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    YES!!! It is about depression. The brain releases dopamine when eating (especially sugar), and that is why we do it. It has nothing to do with food; it's all about the malfunction of the brain.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I don't do it until I throw up... I just keep opening cabinets and finding SOMETHING that I can eat, even all the while thinking that this is not what I want to do.

I have started a private journal to capture my thoughts after (hoping that this will turn into BEFORE someday) the binge is over. My mental feeling, my bodily feeling, my overall attitude. And what stopped the binge. I don't ALWAYS use this tool, it is a step in the right direction.

First, recognizing that you are binging is a big step. Before you decided to get healthy you probably were binging but it didn't register. So Kudos to you for being in a better place, you'll get there. We all will. I am sure of it because we've come so far. I know I have. I've battled myself and my seemingly-lack-of-willpower for years, only recently (18 months) finding MFP and finding what works for me as a lifestyle change.

I am slowly but surely incorporating eating changes into my life to see what works best and what sticks. I'm learning every day. You will too. Just don't let one episode of bingeing continue on and spiral out of control.

I read something here the other day (don't remember from where): I refuse to give up what I want most because of what I want Right Now. This spoke volumes to me. I have a hard time with allowing myself too much freedom "because I deserve it" or "because if Iimit myself I'll want it more"... yes, both of those are true statements, but too much rope is the ability to hang yourself (for me!). I am wrestling with the balance in my life.

Try to find some thing that you can do to take you OUT of the walk to the food when you know you're in one of those spirals... and I know you can tell when they start... because I certainly can.

Good luck!
  • katkrak
    Options
    Yes! I was doing great with my eating for a while, but the past month has been horrible!! I've been binging every day! I've tried to clear my house of possible binge foods, and yesterday I still found random things to binge on in house: turkey bites, dried dates, unsalted sunflower seeds, piece of leftover chicken, apple, quesadilla with weight watchers cheese on whole wheat tortilla, banana, etc. It just shows that it's not just sugar and carbs for me-I will eat anything to fill the void! I was eating jars of peanut butter and boxes of cereal and toast with butter and brown sugar, whole pizzas, bags of almonds, pretzels, popcorn, etc. I know I do it out of stress and boredom because it's an escape, until I stop eating. Then, immediately, I am angry and depressed! Luckily, I've only put 4 pounds back on as of right now because I'm still exercising, but this has got to stop! My stomach hurts every day and I am miserable! Help!
  • leanne2376
    Options
    I am a binger - but i havent binged in quite a while now. Thank G-d : )
  • aoikirin
    aoikirin Posts: 143
    Options
    I did it last night and threw it all up. My face is so swollen. I think I have created a pretty strong negative aversion. :) I doubt I will do it again.
  • kk1084
    kk1084 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    i know it sounds so cheesy, but these prompts i made up really helped me get to my 30+ day no binge point. I bought myself a new journal with my favorite painting on it (Van Gough, Almond Blossom) in order for me to actually sort out my confused and jumbled thoughts i felt right before binge eating. at first i thought journaling was stupid and time consuming, but in all honesty bingeing IS time consuming so i really needed to crack down on myself, be patient, and write out my feelings. here we go:

1) write a letter to your urge to binge as if it were a person. what would you say to it? how would you explain how it makes you feel?
    2) if the men in black were to erase ALL of your memories except for one, what would that single memory be and why do you think it is really special to you?
    3) explain 5 things about you that make you unique/happy/excited for the future.
    4) write out on a piece of paper one word descriptions about exactly what you feel at that point. do you feel anxious, bored, angry, upset, tired, frustrated, etc? use varying font sizes, different colored pens/crayons to show the different intensities of each feeling.
    5) if you were to look in a mirror and see an inanimate object that represents your personality, what would it be and why? explain it as thoroughly as possible
    6) come up with a metaphor for your binges....do they feel like roller coasters? hurricanes? being gently rocked to sleep? fireworks? getting beat up by a giant? the more you shed light on your binges the less it acts like a phantom....so try to get to know and personify your `binge urge`
    7) identify your exact feelings before, during and after a binge. dont hold back, let it ALL out in your journal.
    8) write a love letter to yourself, talking about how you want to do what is best for you and why you are WORTH it (it sounds narcissistic...but once youre in `binge self sabotaging mode` you really need a HUGE pick-me-up and no ones gonna do it but yourself so start loving yourself!)
    9) find a picture in a magazine that really speaks to you, cut it out and paste it in your journal, and explain why you put it there.
    10) who is your fitness hero? what do you think they would tell you in your time of need? (i pictured jillian michaels saying, `Naomi, WHY would you want to eat all of this garbage? You`re hurting yourself, you don`t deserve to live like this. You are a beautiful person who doesnt need to feel this sort of self-inflicted pain`). Yeah...I really like jillian, okay?!

i truly hope this helps you guys...they really helped me better understand myself and why i binge. i am sort of a creative person so i really enjoy taking these weird/creative approaches to my problems, and i feel like its definitely been working so far. hope it helps you guys too!!!!!

Naomi, just made note of this post... copied it and sent it to my e-mail actually. I'm going to use the hell out of these strategies... I'm needing something right now :) Thanks! You rock. As always ;)
  • TeamEdwardJenn
    TeamEdwardJenn Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way alot of the time , i just eat and eat ,and eat some more . Then when i realize just how much i ate , im so deperessed that i hate myself and become depressed. Im not a big meal eater im a huge grazzer , espically at night.

Hope things get better for you :)

Ive been trying to adjust bedtimes , and doing more things to keep away from all the food . Ive also stopped buying snacky food because i tell myself , if you eat your lunch stuff you wont have lunch lol