Recipe help

Options
I'm trying to make a recipe of my chili but no clue how many servings it makes bc I never measure how much it makes or how much we put in the bowl. Is there a easy way to find serving sizes out without measuring the whole pot? And how do you determine what a serving size is on like chilis and soups?

Replies

• ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Do you have a food scale?

Its a pain in the butt to do, but this is what I do:

Get out my food scale and put a huge bowl on it. Pour in all of the chili/soup that I made and get a grams/ounces measurement
    Then I portion my own, and figure out how much of the chili I am having like 1/5 or 1/6 or so
  • cyndispot
    Options
    I can tell you how I did it. I took a one cup measuring cup and counted it as serving. Then honestly, I took one scoop at a time until the pot was empty and figured out that I had that many servings. Once i knew it for that pot, I don't have to do it again.

You might also consider a 12 qt stock pot is 48 cups (12x4) and then out whatever amount you left for stirring at the top, maybe a quart or two (so 4-8 cups). that would also work. But only if you know the size of your pan.
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    How big is the pot?
    2L? Then divide by a 250ml (1 cup) serving size and voila, it's 8 servings.
    (Do you use the recipe thingie on here? It's fab!)
  • LH2011
    LH2011 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I did this with soup recently normally just make a big pot and when its gone its gone so I made a note of how many serving we when through until it was gone the answer was 8 so I made it serve 8 people. I just did up the recipe before and roughly guessed 6 servings so then I just amended it
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I keep most of my serving sizes as a cup and go from there. Most of my pots and pans I know about how much they hold at certain levels, so I guess how many 1 cup servings are in there based off of that.