Gained weight after a good week?

Options
So im really confused. All week, i have been sticking to my plan. I worked out everyday, and i only had one not so good food day in the beginning of the week. I was expecting at least a pound taken off the scale, but when i got on it this morning, it said that I had gained 1.5 pounds? I did a hell of a lot of toning this week, so could it be muscle? Im so confused!

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Could be muscle, could be water, could be the scales. I can get on my scales 4 times in a row and get a different weight each time. Best bet is to stay off the scales if they demoralize you too much. Weigh less often. That climbing on, sure that the number will be lower, and then seeing a higher number is too upsetting.
  • Lovelyhal
    Lovelyhal Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have found that the week I either dont lose weight, I have lost inches. But sometimes, when I have had a good week, and not lost either weight or inches, check if you are constipated - that can gain you pounds when you weigh in.
  • shirleynieman
    Options
    If you are drinking a lot of water, in addition to everything else, then it is probably muscle weight.
  • amandahahn85
    amandahahn85 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem last week and it really got me down. I did everything right! (At least in my own head.) And I ended up gaining a pound! :sad:

But then my family suggested a few ideas: Is it muscle gain?; Is it that "time of the month", ie water weight?; So on and so forth... So I got together with my sister and took my measurements and it turned out that while I may have gained a pound, I actually lost almost an inch in my thighs and (even though her and I are disputing this one) about 1/2 inch on my neck!

Basically what I am saying is: Don't let a pound get you down! Keep at it, change up your routine and food and the results will come. Best of luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • pshaffer23
    pshaffer23 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have had similar weeks and I've learned that as long as I stay within a 2.5 pound radius I won't get upset-as in if I weight anywhere between 104-106.5 then I just attribute a slightly higher week to water weight/TOM/muscle weight etc. and if I fluctuate above 106.5 or below 104.0 then I start to reevaluate my routine. I think you should forget what the scale is telling you for a moment if you genuinely feel that you worked out/ate right. That is the most important part! This is a lifestyle change not just a numbers game. Congratulate yourself on working out and eating healthily for your body-those are far more important factors in your overall life.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    You can strengthen existing muscle while eating in a deficit. However, you can not gain new muscle. So it's not muscle weight. But, when we exercise harder than usual, particularly if we're doing resistance training, our muscles hold onto water as part of the healing/repairing process. So it could be that. Also, weight loss is not linear. You might lose 2# next week partially based on what you did this week, for example.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Muscle will hold onto water when it's worked (takes longer than a week to build muscle, like funkycamper said), and eating carbs and/or sodium can make you hold onto water, too, so maybe that's all it is. If you won't freak out more, weigh again tomorrow or some time before your next official weigh-in and see if maybe things have righted themselves. If not, don't stress over it (that will inhibit your weight loss, too). Keep working on it and eventually the scale will go down again, likely with a relatively big jump.
  • MrsGSR
    MrsGSR Posts: 88
    Options
    But then my family suggested a few ideas: Is it muscle gain?; Is it that "time of the month", ie water weight?; So on and so forth... So I got together with my sister and took my measurements and it turned out that while I may have gained a pound, I actually lost almost an inch in my thighs and (even though her and I are disputing this one) about 1/2 inch on my neck!

This, remember that you will weigh different amounts throughout the month!