Logging in to the Diary with the scanner!

Options
I’m not technical, and just found this…..so this is for those of you that may not be technical also. If you have a smart phone and are logging food in to your diary, and have not tried the scanner, it is wonderful. Most of the foods I eat are still in the package, so it is very easy to scan, adjust the portions and your done.

Replies

• bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    So how do you do this? I have the scanner app on my phone already.
  • Jenny_Taylia
    Jenny_Taylia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    This sounds cool.

But Im too poor to own a smartphone.
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this feature...

In the MFP app, select ADD TO DIARY. Select the meal you wish to add to. Next to the search box, there is a little barcode symbol - press that. It will bring up the scanner function. Scan the barcode on the food. Double check with the label (sometimes it is wrong or brings up a different food). If it is correct, adjust the servings you are having and hit the ADD button!
  • mlclarke22
    mlclarke22 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    do u need a scanner app on your phone??
  • hattie2833
    Options
    Add your food in to your diary with your phone. Let's say we're adding to breakfast....get to that place. Out from the "search" line is a funny little Icon (it's really a bar code). Touch that Icon and it becomes a scanner. Use that on the bar code on your food item and you're done. It's been able to find every item I've scanned.
  • hattie2833
    Options
    I didn't put an app....think it just uses my camera.
  • hattie2833
    Options
    Me TOO! Makes it so easy!
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    You ARE my hero for the day. Love it!!! Have you found stuff that it does not have in the database?
  • xtrout
    xtrout Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    The scanner is part of the MFP app. At least it is on the iphone. Yes, it is a very nice feature. Double check your reading though because sometimes it is off.
  • sweetkeys
    sweetkeys Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    cool - didn't realize that was what it was.....duh!!!!! sure will make things easier!!!! thanks for point out this feature!
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    i use it,so much easier.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Packages scare me.

Packaged usually = processed
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I use it all the time!
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    There are some things that will not come up.

I find it faster to scan many things than search for them. Sometimes it brings up a similar product from the same manufacturer so you should double check just in case.

Not EVERYTHING that comes in a bag or box is processed junk (I scan milk, eggs, frozen vegetables, cheese, yogurt, whole grain pasta, etc.) - though I am certainly not a poster child clean eater!

I still weigh or measure my portions, but it helps to speed up the logging.
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I just got an Android phone a week ago and I LOVE the scan feature. I don't use it a lot, but it's nice to have for when I do eat something that has the packaging.
  • Roboartist
    Options
    I love and use the scanner often. I scanned a Trader Joe Pumpkin Waffle/pancake mix the other day that popped up as something else so be warned to pay attention to what it finds, if a store reuses an expired barcode for a newer product it won't show up right. Not the fault of the app or scanner.

Thanks MFP for making it so easy.
  • Nana920
    Nana920 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    MFP app on ipad also has this capability. I use it all the time...but agree with others. double check...sometimes the scan reads something entirely different! :tongue: