Kind (?) neighbor

Options
I feel a bit guilty complaining about this because I've seen other threads about mean neighbors, but on some Saturdays, I run at the same time a neighbor is walking her baby. Every time I pass her (we both go in a loop but from opposite directions), she gives me a thumbs up and says "good job." I recognize that she's trying to be nice, but it just makes me feel that I must look like a chubby person struggling to run and that I'm in need of encouragement. Am I being unfair? It's getting to a point where I'm thinking of new routes on Saturdays or random times.

Replies

• pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    She's probably just friendly and likes to see people exercise, don't let yourself feel insecure about it! =)
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Your neighbor sounds quite nice. She's encouraging your dedication. Any negative connotation is coming from you. Let it go, smile at her and enjoy the compliment. :wink:
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I doubt she would say anything unless she was trying to relate to you. she is probably feeling the same way (or assuming what you feel) in the battle to get healthy.

If it was me giving the thumbs up, I would probably be doing it for the soul purpose of hoping you would want to work out with me some time :]
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    That's just your own insecurities. She has her own too, being a mom. Just smile and say it back to her. It is a good job. Hell, I can't do it! Well, i could, but I'm not. LOL!
  • Christieson
    Christieson Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think you should take her encouragement and enjoy it for what it is...encouragement. I read a post the other day from someone whose neighbors yelled abuse at her every time she ran. You are getting the better deal by a long shot. Take it and enjoy it.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but you asked. Yes, you are being unfair. Count your blessing that somebody is giving you thumbs up and motivation instead of criticizing you, like so many people post in this site.

Next time that she says that, say "Thank you for your support," and hit the pavement harder and with all your heart.

Good luck!
  • mychirona
    mychirona Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Funny thing is, whenever I see someone doing something awesome, I want to just cheer them on since I know I can't help but smile when someone unabashedly roots for me, as a stranger or not... but I'm afraid people will think I'm heckling, so I never do. :(
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I doubt she means anything bad by it. You're running, she's walking, it doesn't make sense that she would be doing it in a patronising kind of way. Unless you have previous negative history with her, I'd just take it as friendly encouragement. Maybe she wishes she could do that too.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    You're projecting because that's how you feel about yourself! She's just being a nice person.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    she's doing what we do here...encouraging. Its just a hang-up of yours. we all have them. :)
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    You're being unfair to yourself. She's giving encouragment not negativity. Keep on doing what your're doing. Smile, Thank her and don't change your route.

Keep up the good work!
  • buckeye86
    buckeye86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what you look like- anyone exercising regularly is doing a "good job." Maybe she looks at you and thinks, "I'm just walking, maybe I should be running like she is. I admire her dedication." Regardless of how she meant it, all that matters is how exercise is making you feel, not what other people may or may not be thinking.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Only on MFP could someone misconstrue a thumbs-up and a "good job" as somehow insulting.
  • elijhasmomma
    elijhasmomma Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I used to run before my i had my son..daily...1-2 hours at a time. (well of course there was walking involved LOL) but there was always one neighbor guy that you could tell he wasn't creepy or anything, i never got any negative vibes from him. But everytime he would see me he would be like hey keep up the good work. or great job, or would wave when i passed or honked when he passed me, just acknowledging me and letting me know he supported my dedication (even though it was completely un-needed). I would quite often get ppl who saw me developing a routine that would wave or smile or say looking great after they realized i was jogging for health and not running from a stray dog or something LOL. I guess it's so rare around our area to see ppl just out exercising for their own benefit that they were just happy FOR me. Not being judgemental.
    Once I had my son I of course stopped jogging. I ran into said neighbor guy and he was like hey! I said hey he asked if i still jogged and i said no i wasnt since i had my son and he encouraged me to stick with it. telling me hey thats alright you can always get back into the swing of things. And before I knew it, I was back out there jogging, this time with my son. I just view the encouragement as motivation. Next time you're out and you see her, stop for a second and thank her for motivating you. Let her know you recognize the hard work she is putting into as well. You never know, you may end up with a new workout buddy.

Edited to fix spelling errors :bigsmile:
  • jocybee83
    jocybee83 Posts: 155 Member
    Options

If it was me giving the thumbs up, I would probably be doing it for the soul purpose of hoping you would want to work out with me some time :]

This!

She's being encouraging. Take it and feel good and finish your run. :)
  • htreat1
    Options
    Ok thanks everyone! I won't let it bother me anymore.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I would take it as a camaradier (sp?) saying thumbs up to us were doing great we walk/run everyday at the same time. Glad youre not going to let it bother you. Take all the "atta girls" you can get.
  • htreat1
    Options
    And just to clarify, I never thought she was insulting me. I just was not familiar with this and it made me uneasy. I was being unfair though and I'll take her encouragement in the future. I was just wondering if other people had felt this.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I would take it as a complement. The mere fact that your out there doing something is speaking volumes about your determination to better your own personal health. I say" Well done".:flowerforyou:
  • wick09
    wick09 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't think she is mean or anything. Looks like she is trying to encourage you like people on here do.