Exercising before going to sleep

LostTeen
LostTeen Posts: 110
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Is it bad to exercise before going to sleep?

Replies

• dinoguns
    dinoguns Posts: 4
    Only in that it will make it difficult to get to sleep, give yourself about an hour at least. I always like to exercise first thing in the morning, I feel more energetic throughout the day.
  • FitChickBritt
    FitChickBritt Posts: 161 Member
    To me, exercise is exercise. If thats the only time of day you have to do it then I say go for it. The only reason I'd say its "bad" is b/c it can keep you from being able to get to sleep sometimes.
  • I am with the others on this one. It really depends on whether or not it effects you being able to get a restful nights sleep. Sleep is very important to weight loss and health also. Other than that I don't see why it would be a bad thing.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    For me, it doesn't make much difference. I used to have soccer games from 11-midnight on Sunday evenings. As soon as I got home, I would shower and hop in bed and pass out immediately. It's really how your body reacts to the endorphins. Most people have to stop exercising 2 hours before bed, but it really depends on the individual person. I say give it a go and see how it goes!
  • It really depends on the person and how hard you exercise. I hit the treadmill the other night at 11:30pm because I realized I over ate and needed to burn 300 calories. I slept like a baby.

I generally hit the gym at about 7pm because I am not a morning person and the exercise truly exhausts me and helps remove the stress of the day. This allows me to relax and sleep better as well. The real key is no carbs at least 3-4 hours before you plan to go to bed so that your body has already processed it.
  • Nicmc8
    Nicmc8 Posts: 178 Member
    I usually work out at night... sometimes I am at the gym from 10pm-Midnight. I joined a 24hr gym, so that I could no longer use the excuse that I "did not have time to exercise". I believe that as long as you are moving, it is good!
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    I never had a problem with it. Maybe I'm just a good sleeper. I'll work out, shower, and bed immediately after. I like to exercise at night because I have an evil neighbor below me and would like to think I cause her some sort of discomfort every night before bed. But I doubt it, our walls and floors are super insulated and think.
  • DaveyGravy
    DaveyGravy Posts: 283 Member
    Most of my exercise is done at night time, it never makes it difficult for me to sleep at all. I much prefer working out at night because if I do it in the morning, i'm exhausted for the rest of the day which is no good in my job.
  • Honey7o2
    Honey7o2 Posts: 31
    My bestfriend is a personal trainer and he's always telling me 'it doesn't matter WHEN you exercise, it matters THAT you exercise".
  • amy_marie
    amy_marie Posts: 130 Member
    Trainers have told me that it is good to exercise before you go to sleep because you can rest your muscles. It lets them heal before your next workout.
This discussion has been closed.