Tree removable...

Options
So, I helped to get rid of the giant tree on my house today (Fell over in Sandy), I was moving, and lifting stuff and pulling logs. What should I log this as in my exercise diary? How many calories do you think I would have burned? I know this is a broad question, I would just like a rough estimate. I was working for about 2 hours.

Replies

• Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Extra info. I am 18, 5'7" female, 129 pounds.
  • gerripho
    gerripho Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the tree. I hope you didn't suffer too much more from Sandy. For the calories burned, why not just record two hours of strength training. It's lifting and pulling and pushing, just with a tree instead of free weights or resistance machines. Similar, no?
  • Pandasarecool
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the tree. I hope you didn't suffer too much more from Sandy. For the calories burned, why not just record two hours of strength training. It's lifting and pulling and pushing, just with a tree instead of free weights or resistance machines. Similar, no?

Good idea! Thanks! Either that, or just estimate it to about 300 calories burned, does that sound about right?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    For things like this, I usually log 100 calories an hour. I am a 6'3" 222lb male, so adjust accordingly.
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Calories burned with Carrying

Loading or Stacking Wood, Loading/unloading or Carrying Lumber

340 calories per hour

Assuming a body weight of: 150 lbs

So at 129 pounds, it would be 292.4 cal. per hour

This info came from caloriecount.about.com
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    You could also log it as "Yardwork." Up to you how you do it, but these are all good suggestions! Sorry to hear about the damage from Sandy. At least YOU are ok. Everything else can be replaced.
  • Pandasarecool
    Options
    You could also log it as "Yardwork." Up to you how you do it, but these are all good suggestions! Sorry to hear about the damage from Sandy. At least YOU are ok. Everything else can be replaced.

Yup, God sure takes care of His children! I was in the shower when it happened, and it fell through the bathroom wall! I nearly had a heart attack! :noway:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    For things like this, I usually log 100 calories an hour. I am a 6'3" 222lb male, so adjust accordingly.

I'd do this as a top end limit. There's no reason to risk going over calories. Generally I don't log activities like this at all. If you list as yard work its going to be ridiculously high
  • Pandasarecool
    Options

I'd do this as a top end limit. There's no reason to risk going over calories. Generally I don't log activities like this at all. If you list as yard work its going to be ridiculously high

But the thing is, it is way more than what I normally do and I am exhausted.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

But the thing is, it is way more than what I normally do and I am exhausted.

I didn't say I wouldn't eat more, I just said I wouldn't log the activity.

Exhausted means rest. Famished means eat. If you are starving after all that activity, by all means eat more. A lot more, if need be. You won't gain weight because your numbers are in the red. Let your body decide what and when to eat, not some random choice from the cardio exercise group.