and half cup rice or a cup with my lunch
my dh told me since my blood type o i should cut carb
wheat and grain coz thats what make us fat i mean only. ppl with blood type o
is that true anyone blood type o and eats carb and still loseing weight

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    If you eat less than you burn, you'll lose weight. Your blood type doesn't matter.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Why the blood type diet is stupid, exhaustive version: http://www.owenfoundation.com/Health_Science/Blood_Type_Diet_FAQ.html
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    i been trying to lose 20 pounds
    i love carb i have to have one toast whole wheat with my omlette

You should stop listening to diet advice from the person who told you this.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My blood type is O. I have never had a problem losing weight while eating carbs.

That blood type diet is BS just like most other ridiculous fad diets are BS.
  • martintanz
    Options
    Agreed. My wife buys into that blood type bs, I don't. IMO, it is the dietary equivalent of astrology.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    im blood type o.. and i thrive on carbs.
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I do the low carb diet and it works well for me. I know it is not for everyone but it us easy for me to stick with and I've lost 61 pounds since February. I have never heard of this blood type stuff but I think I should add that my type is O. I just don't see the connection!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I do the low carb diet and it works well for me. I know it is not for everyone but it us easy for me to stick with and I've lost 61 pounds since February. I have never heard of this blood type stuff but I think I should add that my type is O. I just don't see the connection!

There's a "diet" that claims your blood type dictates what kind of food you should eat for health and weight loss. Type Os are supposed to eat a lot of meat and go very low-carb.

I was thin most of my life, but when I did gain weight, it was while eating practically nothing but meat. Just too much and not enough exercise. I went vegetarian and THEN went on a diet and lost weight quite quickly and easily eating no meat at all and lots of carbs.

There are two things that have made it difficult or impossible for me to lose weight over the years:

1. Eating too much and not moving enough and
    2. A poor choice in birth control that did not work well with my body.
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    My blood type is O, and I don't eat simple carbs. But to be honest it's not from this study or any diet phase. I literally can't digest gluten, so that is the only reason I cut those. I do have my moments, like almond crackers, but I have to eat a bunch of fruit to be sure to give my body the complex carbs it needs.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    i been trying to lose 20 pounds
    i love carb i have to have one toast whole wheat with my omlette
    Wow...just...I thought just...I came in here and...this could have been....*facepalm*.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    okkkkkk then.
    :huh:
  • ausf
    ausf Posts: 51
    Options
    just saying :/
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    My blood type is O, and I don't eat simple carbs. But to be honest it's not from this study or any diet phase. I literally can't digest gluten, so that is the only reason I cut those. I do have my moments, like almond crackers, but I have to eat a bunch of fruit to be sure to give my body the complex carbs it needs.

Just so you know... You've got it backwards. You cut the complex carbs, fruits are the simple ones.
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    i completely agree. the idea that blood type should dictate diet is in no way validated via empirical evidence or research.
    Agreed. My wife buys into that blood type bs, I don't. IMO, it is the dietary equivalent of astrology.
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options

Just so you know... You've got it backwards. You cut the complex carbs, fruits are the simple ones.

My bad, lol. But either way the point stands. No harm in cutting down on bread and pasta, but the body still needs some carbs. I have read the same study being discussed, but my fiance wasn't too keen on it. Some of the foods it said are "harder" for my body do digest have always made my stomach hurt, but I stopped eating them long before because of this.

Ausf, do as you please, just be sure it's still healthy for your body. Not too much meat, nor breads and such. Best of luck =]
  • Timehope
    Timehope Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Can't help "weigh" in here...

The blood type diet is promoted by Dr. Peter D'Adamo (and a number of naturopath followers) after what he says was extensive research with thousands of clients. The idea is that O is the original blood type of our African hunter ancestors, and thus O persons are adapted by evolution for meat-centric diets and heavy exercise. Pretty much the Paleo Diet, in other words. (But D'Adamo takes it further and divides foods into helpful or not helpful to the O person -- for example cheddar cheese is not helpful but parmesan is.)

On the other hand, he says, a blood type like AB, for example, developed later and occurs in people whose ancestors had lived more of the agricultural lifestyle, and for such people, a vegetable-based diet is preferable, with more moderate levels of exercise.

Personally I think it is all hoo-hah.

But evidence is piling in that people do differ in metabolism types. For some the standard low-fat, low-cal method works best. For others, carbs are not tolerated well (although enjoyed thoroughly) and their metabolisms are distressed by the glucose that carbohydrates produce, and the accompanying insulin spikes. For them a proportion of blood glucose gets shoveled into fat cells before the body gets a chance to burn it. They get fat much more easily on the same number of calories.

As NY Times author Gary Taubes has pointed out, for a large subset of people, there are good calories -- and there are bad calories.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to determine which metabolism type you are. This post will self-destruct after you read it....
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    If you eat less than you burn, you'll lose weight. Your blood type doesn't matter.

This. I am O+, eat carbs, drink wine, and lose weight. Blood type diet...don't need to GOogle that to thinkis sounds like a dumd @ss idea. :noway:
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I cannot fathom what your blood type has to do with your ability to comsume carbohydrates. Ask for an explanation or get a second opinion.
  • TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I am O and I eat carbs and have lost 76lb so far. I try to eat mostly healthy and eat wholegrain (bread/rice) more often than not, don't like pasta so rarely eat it, lots of (white) potatoes, plenty of of fruit and veg.

You can look at my diary but I haven't tracked for the last week as on holiday with no internet connection (plus was testing myself at the not tracking plus holiday food, eating out & booze to see how well I would do).
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    :yawn: Every diet out there, I'm sure, works. Follow whatever the plan, and you'll lose weight. Can you stick w/it for the rest of your life in order to maintain your goal? That's what matters most to me.

I want my weight loss to be permanent. Therefore, whatever behavior I change to lose weight, I must be able to sustain. So, for me, it is calories-in, calories-out. Sprinkle in trying to make most of those calories nutritional ones, and THIS I can sustain.:bigsmile: