Spooked by weight loss?

Options
Hi My Fitness Pals - good to meet you. I'm not sure whether I have been inspired by Hallowe'en but I've been thinking a lot this week about why I have sturggled to lose weight all my life. Apart from once in my adult life - I lost 5 stone (about 70 lbs for my American friends) about 15 years ago - I have been over 20 stone (280 lbs) since I was in my late teens. I'm now about 23 stone (322 lbs) and have fluctuated from 20 stone - 23 stone for the last ten years or so.

Like may of you I'm sure I have tried every diet going. Although in my case, things may be a little different. Actually, I don't think I have really tried them at all. Yes, I'm good for the first few days but then a little tweak here and excuse there and in no time at all I'm back to my old ways of eating and out of control.

Over the years I have blamed the plan, the group, the group leader, my metabolism, my genetic heritage - you name it - but still I have maintained this weight. I think there are two reasons and I'd love to know about the experience of others - is it the same for you?

Reason one, for me, is that I am frightened of losing weight. It is what I want more dearly than anything in the world yet it fills me with fear and dread. My mind, therefore, actively works against me as I spend the day in internal conflict in the cycle of eat - repent - repeat getting larger all the time.

And the second, I'm am completely confused about the right way to go about weight loss. This may sound odd as I have been on one diet or another for more than 30 years but have lost - not to put too fine a point on it - diddley squat. Quite the reverse in fact. Each diet leaves me heavier than the last. Every Monday (and sometimes several times throughout the week) I read of a new miracle cure, another foolproof plan and decide that is the plan for me. Low carb, Slimming World, Mediterranean, Low fat I could go on for pages.

I think what I need is some sound advice, not from the spooks of Hallowe'en but from the Saints of MFP. If you're like me, or you've been like me - what would you do? How did you slay the demons that keep you fat?

If you can share your experience, that would be the answer to my prayers.

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    step 1. lose the drama of it. Weight loss from a practical viewpoint is very strait forward. You need to take in less calories than you require.

step 2. start tracking every single thing you swallow including water. Dont change anything yet. Just make yourself log every single thing you eat and drink.

step 3. determine your TDEE. check out scooby website or any TDEE calculator. At this point, a rough estimate is all you need.

step 4.after one week, review your log to see where you can cut back.

step 5. research basic nutirtion.

take small steps. dont expect rapid results.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    step 1. lose the drama of it. Weight loss from a practical viewpoint is very strait forward. You need to take in less calories than you require.

step 2. start tracking every single thing you swallow including water. Dont change anything yet. Just make yourself log every single thing you eat and drink.

step 3. determine your TDEE. check out scooby website or any TDEE calculator. At this point, a rough estimate is all you need.

step 4.after one week, review your log to see where you can cut back.

step 5. research basic nutirtion.

take small steps. dont expect rapid results.

Exactly this... a series of small changes that you can maintain will be the most effective way to lose weight and keep it off.
  • phatgirl4
    Options
    stay on this mfp and track everything on here be honest. it works I am new but I eat and its simple ,you can eat pretty much what you want and not feel hungry. I pretty much eat something small every 2 or 3 hrs for i wont feel hungry. You have to set your mind . everytime you go to the frdge to eat say to your self I can do this and I am going to do this. I try to eat as healthy as I can lots of vegetables and a small piece of meat. you can do this . fell free to message me any time. also fine a goal mabe a vacation and say I want to feel and look like this by this time . you can do this one day at time. phatgirl4
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I cant say that Ive slain my demons yet but they are definitely taking a kicking right now. Ive 'maintained, at around 12 to 13 stone for the last 8 years trying every different eating plan and diet there is out there, although Im not sure if I really 'tried' or I just 'thought' I did you know? No matter what I did Id lose some weight but then it would come back with company!

In the 40 odd days Ive been back here Ive dropped 9lbs worth of demon and gained a whole new outlook on this diet lark. I know where I keep going wrong and I know that one bad day wont derail me completely. A bad day for me now is having a packet of crisps or reaching for the chocolate... back then it would have been a multi-pack and a slab.

I have a friend who is a psychologist and one day without me realising she was doing it, she analysed me! She told me that I eat to fill a void in my life and that I self sabotaged because I didnt think I deserved to look good.. I kinda knew what she was on about. I wont bore you to tears with the details but I pretty much changed my habits there and then.

I knew that eating when I was sad would make me feel great... for about 10 minutes, but then Id STILL be sad but feel angry with myself to boot. I stopped reaching for the cookie jar when I needed the extra strength to deal with my autistic son, cookies were not going to help me deal with him now were they?

I think the biggest thing that happened was accepting that this time Im not on a 'diet'. This does not have a quit date, this does not have that big fat marshmallow and cream covered mug of hot chocolate at the end of it. This is a lifestyle change that will make and keep me healthy, I will pass it down to my kids, they will pass it to theirs and so on. You have to realise that you are only human, no one is perfect. Look in the mirror and learn to appreciate the person you see. Stop seeing yourself as a mere number on a scale or a dress size. Liking and understanding who you are now will give you the motivation to get to who you want to be :flowerforyou:

I am accountable for what goes into my mouth and the results that come, I dont have dodgy genes, crap classes, broken scales or a ridiculously slow metabolism... its all on me
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Your story is similar to mine, except, I mostly just thought about trying to lose weight, not really doing much about following through, until 3/12/12, when I got serious and really started to change my life. I am coming up on my 8th month anniversary on MFP.
    What has helped me most is coming to this site. Logging everything I eat, every day. I am only walking for my exercise, but so far, it is working for me. When I feel most like over indulging or eating, I come here and read the success stories and advice from others here. It really helps me stay focused.
    This is a personal journey, but you will find that there are others who have similar issues, temptations, failures as well as victories and triumphs along the way.
    The very best of luck to you! You can do this! One step at a time.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I think you have to make up your mind to quit trying anf just do it. No excuses. Log your calories. Start moving more even if it means standing up for five minutes every hour. start a new habit as your changes start to become routine.

We all learned to brush our teeth and bathe regularly. We can all learn to eat. Right and get the right amount of activity .

When i feel the urge to "graze or eat mindlessly" I come and read the forums
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    The psychology of temporary dieting means any attempt is doomed to fail. It's an insidious torture that puts people off the effort, and often means they gain weight - more than before. And it costs them years.

Until I found myself in the right place just over two years ago, and encountered the correct information, I'd never survived more than three hours on any of the kinds of diets you describe.

It's very simple, once you're able to accept a few things. It really is going to be a lifestyle change. For life. It will make your life better. It does involve reeducation and change in habit, as someone said, one step at a time.

Calorie counting, and switching to the right diet - whole grains, veg/fruit, lean protein is all you need to do, nutritionally. You learn how YOU do this slowly. It means learning how to measure foods, exploring new flavours and cooking methods, finding out what works for you. I learn new things all the time, and I've been at it for a few years (not on this site).

It helps to approach this learning with a bit of enthusiasm. I get why you're not feeling like that now, of course. But if you start to think of what you're ADDING to your life (vs what's being subtracted, deprivation), it can help build a bit of excitement, even.

Taking pleasure in learning how to cook helps a lot. Being in the moment - present and appreciative of the process itself - helps a *lot*. Admittedly, this gets easier after the first few weeks, which are uncomfortable. It's uncomfortable to do things you haven't done before, maybe to have pain (from eg new exercise) or frustration (how the crap do you poach fish? NB, I've yet to do that right).

In those moments, push through. Keep your goal in mind, all the time. Become obsessed. Use anything you can to reinforce your motivation, to overcome tiredness and discouragement. My motivation had to do with loss and fear. (I'd moved after ending a relationship, and found myself with lots of other things ahead of me, and time wasting.) These sorts of changes, lots of times, are what prompt the decision that makes the difference.) Some people have positive motivations, like seeing themselves crossing a finish line, or participating in a marathon. I guess fear might be important for you now. Use it.

After a few weeks of getting oxygen into your blood by walking, and nutrients to your body from good, healthy food, I guarantee you will feel better. You'll move, think, breathe, sleep, feel better. You will probably have lost some pounds, as well. That's a great feeling too, of course :)

After a month or so, the exercise will feel like a habit, and you will want to continue. You'll get used to new foods. Eventually, many of the things you currently like may put you off, that's how much you'll have changed.

Some things will make it easier. As above, introducing things bit by bit helps. Week one: introduce 1 new vegetable every day, and walk for 20 minutes. Week two: Exchange soda for lovely clean water. Log calories. Maybe, learn a recipe. Etc.

(As you get further along, and start to trade your old foods for new ones, make things easy for yourself. Don't test your willpower by keeping stuff in the house. Most would struggle in that situation. Make it not an issue - no temptations. So much harder that way.)

Best of luck. You can do this!
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    Just a few points: most of the healthy food lists are the same (leaving the gimmicks - 'don't eat this for two weeks!' to one side).

Most of your diet should consist of: Lean protein (poultry, fish, lean cuts of red meat, pork, shellfish; beans & legumes - with some kind of rice, tofu; low-fat dairy (greek yogurt especially, cottage cheese, milk); fibre - whole grains, water, healthy oils (olive, avocados, fish oil); dark leafy green, cruciferous, and multi-coloured vegetables; fruits. Any diet that promotes those foods should be fine. Lots of support on here. Precision Nutrition (http://precisionnutrition.com) has five free lessons, and you don't really need to go further (I think they sell stuff after that). 'Low glycemic index' foods generally indicate useful nutrition (though the contribution of the GI part is disputed, those are the foods you want, for maximum nutrition and minimum calories.

Invest in measuring tools - food scale, cups, spoons. Essential, to learn portion sizes.

'Macronutrients' are carbs, proteins, fats - ideally, these are in a ratio that'll support fat loss. Fibre's good to have as well - it helps keep you full. 1 g of protein per lb; 30% diet from fat; 20-25 g fibre; carbs from fibre, & what's left.

Until you are much nearer to your ideal weight, stick to walking for exercise. too much impact on joints, otherwise. Definitely do not try to run until much later.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    I have to disagree and say it doesn't matter what you eat, it matters how much you eat. Eat less calories and eat a nice % of protein. Other than that, enjoy the food you like.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I have to disagree and say it doesn't matter what you eat, it matters how much you eat. Eat less calories and eat a nice % of protein. Other than that, enjoy the food you like.

that is true for weight loss. But if you care about your energy level and your complexion and skin tone and over all health, then it does matter what you eat.
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    I'd say, it's much easier to be full on those foods, and meet macros within the calorie limit that guarantees weight loss. (Which, OP, should be 10-30% less than the calories required to maintain your current weight. Here's a(nother) calculator:
    http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced )

And there's less temptation. If I had to worry about restricting myself to, e.g., half a pancake and just a teaspoon of maple syrup and 1/2 a pat of butter, every day, it would be a test of will I couldn't win. I can very easily enjoy 2 eggs, whole wheat toast, and a tomato, and feel more full, for longer, without losing my mind. But different strokes for different folks, obviously! Above is what's worked for me.
  • dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    Options
    I won't sit here and say it is easy, because basically it is a lifestyle change, and it is a way of life, I hate the word DIET. The one thing for sure is it doesn't happen overnight but with consistency and diligence you will make it and be healthier for it. I always say people think too much. Don't over think just do it if you really want it. Only you know this. Godspeed and we are all here to help and support you!
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    My penny's worth would be to change the word diet to healthy living. Since being on this journey I no longer look at it a weightloss I see it as fat loss. My aim is to lose inches and tone up. I love food and have made healthier choices and still have one day a week where I consume what I want then go back to what is now normal to me. If a healthier lifestyle is to be had a healthier mindset is paramount. You will get that from MFP. Add me if you wish.
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I had the same demons about losing wt. although I didn't feel like I was worth losing the wt. I'd been obese all my life and saw myself as the fat girl in the room. I was self-conscious and didn't want to be seen out in public and never took responsibility for my wt. I had a very low self-esteem and just hated myself. But 1 1/2 yrs. ago my doctor was straight with me and told me that I was going to die if I didn't lose wt. It took another several months of self-analyzing who I was and what I had to live for. I have an awesome, loving husband and family and I found that have to live to be there for them. Since then I've lost my wt. I still have another 50 lbs. to lose, but I will take it one day at a time and continue losing.

You need to make changes slowly. Make the changes that you can live with...nothing drastic. I eat every 3 hrs. per my doctor's advice and I found that keeps me from getting hungry and I eat smaller portions. Also, using a smaller plate helps trick the brain into thinking that you are eating more than you really are taking in. Drink plenty of water or other caffeine free fluids so you hydrate your body. You are made up mostly of water and every cell in your body needs water to operate/function properly.

Log everything you eat and really look at the calories, etc. You will learn where you need to make changes. This site will let you know how many calories you need everyday, so that is helpful. Just stay at that level or below. Eat plenty of fruits and veggies, lean protein, and avoid white bread, white rice, etc. Choose the healthier whole grain bread and brown rice. I also use artificial sweetener in my tea, etc. I buy fat-free, sugar-free choices when available.

You can do this and I truly believe that you can. Just take it slowly and you'll be able to do this. Feel free to add me for support and encouragement. I will be there for you along your journey. Kimberlee
  • KathleenC12
    KathleenC12 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You've got some great advice here, starting with Dave198 (that's just what I'd say, too)!

Hope you can sense my good will in these words: we all get attached to our drama, our fears and our past failures. But that's an old story, and if we live that way we're prisoners. Your new story is here, with MFP's straightforward method and plenty of supportive people who have their own great qualities and flaws.

We still have to cope with life, but life is easier without hauling around the equivalent of another person- or at least a good-sized dog :)

Also, you will find the appeal of certain foods and your desire for the overall amount of food will change. It's always a conscious choice but it gets easier.
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    You've got some great advice here, starting with Dave198 (that's just what I'd say, too)!

Hope you can sense my good will in these words: we all get attached to our drama, our fears and our past failures. But that's an old story, and if we live that way we're prisoners. Your new story is here, with MFP's straightforward method and plenty of supportive people who have their own great qualities and flaws.

We still have to cope with life, but life is easier without hauling around the equivalent of another person- or at least a good-sized dog :)

Also, you will find the appeal of certain foods and your desire for the overall amount of food will change. It's always a conscious choice but it gets easier.

So good, absolutely right.

I think that's maybe what worked for me, finally. Instead of thinking about it in terms of the story of my life*, I made it about habit and behaviour, using simple rules that didn't brook argument. E.g. "no matter what happens, I will get 30 minutes of some kind of exercise today" (every day).

*other than using it in a *focused* way to fuel motivation when things got tough.
  • mandersatx
    Options
    The only thing I can add to the above advise is this: The word "diet" implies you are temporarily changing your eating habits to hit some number, at which point you'll go back to eating "normally." What you've been eating "normally" is what caused the weight gain in the first place. By focusing on becoming healthier instead of dieting, the changes you're making will be easier to maintain. Get a food scale so you can measure what a true serving size is - restaurant portions have gotten so out of hand that we don't know what an individual serving is supposed to be. Losing weight is the benefit of becoming healthier, not the aim. Change your mindset is the best advice I can give you. I, too, have cycled up and down. I made a concious decision not to do that anymore. Embracing a healthier lifestyle - exercise (both aerobic & weight training), whole foods, reasonable portions, and going to the doctor to have a complete workup to have a true picture of my overall wellness - is making me happy. Slowly but surely, these changes will become your new normal. Good luck on your journey. Add me if you'd like. :D