Do you keep fat clothes?

Options
I have just moved down a jeans size (found a sale - yay!) My plan is to store the too-big-but-still-good-pants on the thoroughly rational principle that as long as they are there I won't need them but the second i take them to the Salvation Army I'll gain all the weight back. This worked previously as a method of birth-control. As soon as we decided we were done, and gave away car seat, baby bath etc etc etc I got pregnant. We were delighted to have the extra unexpected baby, but I would not be so eager to welcome back my 20+ lbs.

Of course I'm kidding, but I actually am slightly, and stupidly, superstitious about this. Just wondering what other people do with clothes they have "ingrown" if that's the opposite of outgrown. Keep them in case? Give them away. Burn them ceremonially and do a victory dance around the ashes?

Replies

• futurestarz
    Options
    There was just an episode of Modern Family about this on Wednesday. Honestly, I got rid of all my fat jeans the second I bought the smaller ones. i was just too excited. I did keep one pair just in case though...
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Nope. As soon as clothes become too big, they are automatically purged.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I say "burn them ceremonially and do a victory dance around the ashes" :laugh: I haven't lost enough to need to move pant sizes yet, but when I do, I will NOT be keeping my fat jeans!
  • Robot1976
    Robot1976 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've been giving my "every-day" clothes to Goodwill on a regular basis and altering the things that can be altered (mostly dressy-uppy things or things I love too much to give away). But just today, I was kind of wishing I'd kept a pair of jeans from before I started, just to see how my body has changed.

I have to say...being healthy (etc...) is really great, but at the end, if anyone asks me why I lost the weight, I'm gonna say "For the SHOPPING!"
  • MandaLee8908
    MandaLee8908 Posts: 1,353 Member
    Options
    OP: Think if I get rid of all my too-small clothes that I will suddenly lose weight? If so, I may chuck them LOL!
  • ddipert
    ddipert Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I was the opposite. I'd been keeping all my favorite clothes from back when I wore smaller sizes up in the attic. I took bags and bags of clothes to Goodwill when I cleaned the attic out last November, December. Since then, I've lost 25 pounds and I could have actually worn some of the dresses now. When I get to my goal weight (another 35 pounds or so) I'm going to treat myself with a new outfit from a high end store. Till then, I'll stick with stuff from Goodwill.
  • Rowan813
    Rowan813 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I would keep one item. It will shock you to try them on later. When I went to WW I wore the same pair of shorts every week until they wouldn't stay up any longer. It is niec to have a tangible measure of your weightloss.
  • mcsnoogins
    mcsnoogins Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Remove them from your house immediately!!! :) I do so i know i can't put weight on again without wasting money :)
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I only lost 8 lbs (not planning to lose more) so my "fat pants" are only one size bigger. Yes, I'm keeping them because I know I will need them. I've never had children and one day I will. I will need them again one day, I'm just being realistic.

But if I were overweight and lost a lot of weight - I'd throw them all away, no hesitations.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I give mine to Goodwill. If my current jeans start getting tight, it forces me to buckle down instead of just grabbing a bigger pair.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Ive been getting rid of lots of pants lately.. Why to keep them in my closet if im not gonna use them ever again??. Better use the space in clothes Ive been buying =)

I love these capris Ive had for a few years now, always use them with sandals.. I wasnt able to wear them for a long time, didnt fit!, I used them the other day, ran up the stairs and they fell down (thank god i was wearing underwear lol) hahaha funny yet awesome!!. And even tho I love them, I think its time to get rid of them :smile:
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Nope - they are too big they go - everyday clothes to goodwill and dress clothes to Dress for Success.
    If you gain weight, and your clothes get too tight it is the perfect sign you need to get rid of the weight (not buy new clothes)....

I have had "that feeling" a few times in the last year, and then just jump back into being ultra good and vigilant with my eating - and a few more sessions in the gym, and viola - all of a sudden the clothes start getting looser again!!
  • chicco57
    chicco57 Posts: 298
    Options
    when I've attempted to loose weight before I always kept them just incase, and guess what my weight slowly went back on! However this time I decided that I would throw them away, which I have done and guess what ? I'm still loosing weight, maybe it's all in the mindset at the time! Who klnows but I know I'm not going back only forwards!
  • ls_66
    ls_66 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    wife has sold most of my fat clothes and racked in almost $300 !!!
  • Coming4U
    Coming4U Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I say get rid of them. Don't plan on "just in case" because we are not going to let that happen!
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I kept my favorite jeans and a fav pair of capris. Not because "I might need them" but because I wanted to remember where I was an to never go back.
    I have a friend that I had inspired to lose weight and have her a lot of my fat clothes. Other stuff I found a consignment store, they sold them for me and I was able to use that money to buy clothes that fit!

Girls please don't keep them "just in case" that's an easy out for giving up! It's an excuse to go back and just not an acceptable way to live! You worked to hard to let a cute pair of pants control your life, well unless they are a size smaller. :)
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I have kept my clothes before when I lost weight but not this time. Once I hit goal, everything that doesn't fit perfectly is gone. And everything I own with elastic in it is gone, too, except maybe for work out clothes. A good snug pair of jeans turning into a muffin-top nightmare is a great way to know if you're eating too much again.
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I got rid of all of mine. No sense in keeping them. Also, it's a good push when none of your clothes fit if you gain a bit of weight.
  • annemw82
    annemw82 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    So far I have only kept 2 things. The biggest pair of pants I have ever bought (Size 24W and they were tight) and a very fitted pinstriped vest from lane bryant that's a size 22 and at one point I was unable to button it. They remind me of the place I never want to be again. And someday I will totally take one of those pictures with me and another person fitting inside those pants!
  • rydersgrammy1
    Options
    Toss them & fast...... :smokin: