Pregnant at 44?

Options
13»

Replies

• schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    My mom had me when she was 45. Everything went well during the pregnancy and the birth, so yes, it is possible.

But... the huge generation gap between us when I was growing up was not good for either of us. I was teased mercilessly at school for having an old mother who looked more like a grandmother. She was too old to understand me during my teenage years and it was an unbearable time for both of us. She couldn't be a 'fun' grandmother for my first child as she was too frail by then and she never got to know my second child as she had Alzheimer's by then...

So... think about it carefully, from the child's perspective

I have mixed emotions about this post. From the flip side, I had my first child at 39 - my mother's health, regardless of her age, has been touch and go. She has severe health issues, which have impacted her ability to be involved in my Daughters life. She IS involved, and more so than probably some parents, but her physical capabilities are very limited) There have been times it has made me sad, and I have thought "if she had monitored her diabetes better.. then... " fill in the blank. But the truth of the matter is, Even though there is that issue, and I can see your point, I don't think I can agree with this. In my case, it was more my husbands and My fault for waiting as long as we did to have kids, until my mom's health was less than optimal for her to be more of a participant in her life (and she IS involved, just not to the level of some younger, healthier parents).

My point is, She's NOT that old - she's in her 60's. Age isn't the only factor - health is also a point. But in the above scenario, the other option is to not be born at all. i.e., if your mother hadn't decided to have you, you wouldn't be here today. You wouldn't have your children, and the blessings that they are. Of course I have concerns, but this isn't just for me. Actually while I would LOVE a second child, the concerns do make me worried, so I waiver a bit. My Husband and My daughter - both would love another child. I have mixed emotions, but, I would like for my daughter to have a sibling to grow up with and confide in. someone who can be with her after I and my husband are gone.

I'm sorry - something in your post makes me very sad. It feels like you have some bitterness toward your mother, and maybe it's because she is sick now (my dad has Alzheimers, so I can relate), and the lack of her healthy presence is probably weighing on you.

Lastly, I was teased in school as well - but you know what? I really think having an older parent was probably not the cause of the teasing. Kids look for a reason to pick on other kids. I don't care what it is. Having an older parent may have made an easy target, but, just because that was part of your childhood, does not mean that kids could not have found another reason to pick on you - i.e., I could go down a laundry list of bullying scenarios that I was a victim of, and let me assure you, kids don't need to pick an obvious reason. They will find something - even if it's to MAKE something up. The kids that get bullied are generally easy targets for some reason - self esteem being one, so I really do believe that while this happened, it was not the sole cause of it.

Anyhow, I feel your pain. I can relate on much of what you have said, if for not the exact same reasons, I just try not to blame my parents for it. Though by reading your post, it has helped me recognize that I have done that to some degree, and I am a bit ashamed of it. My parents were wonderful, loving, and supportive. They did their best, many times not knowing how to do anything better, and I will love them regardless. I no longer have self esteem issues - and am a respected professional in my field. Yes there are reasons to not do this - and I respect them whole-heartedly, but I do not think the generation gap will be an issue - and maybe I am Naive about that. It's too early for me to know with my daughter, but if what you say is true, she's a lost cause, at 4 yrs old, as I am already 'grandmother' age to her.

That being said - I am getting healthier FOR her. My main reason for losing weight, getting in shape, is for her. I now chase her around the house, or her I, we run, jump rope, play hop scotch, you name it. I am not at an ideal weight yet, or health, but, just being in my 40's or 50's does not mean I won't be able to be active with her. If I take good care of myself now, even into my 60s or 70s I could be in good health, and an active participant in my child(ren)s lives. I have no intent of having another child without continuing my journey towards health and a hopefully a long active life with my children.

Good luck to you, and God Bless:flowerforyou:
  • Litlbeast
    Litlbeast Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    It's weird to me how there's a lot of negativity about this thread elsewhere on MFP, despite the thread itself containing a lot of well-expressed posts and a ton of first-hand accounts. I don't get it. Kind of bugs me more than the obvious all-out trolling you find in other threads.

I had my youngest child at 38. The pregnancy was hard on my body and joints but he was a healthy guy just like his brothers. I'm 42 now and in a relationship with a 27 year old. Neither of us think it's likely we'll have a child together, mostly because we're not doing well enough financially and because there are already three kids in the house. That's a handful every day, and tough to finance too.

But I guess if by some miraculous turn one or both of us did much better financially, and my health continued to be excellent and we could afford the best care, it might be a consideration, since he has no children. We're definitely taking precautions against any "surprises" though - a decision like that would be a very different one from when I had my first child.
  • schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    It's weird to me how there's a lot of negativity about this thread elsewhere on MFP, despite the thread itself containing a lot of well-expressed posts and a ton of first-hand accounts. I don't get it. Kind of bugs me more than the obvious all-out trolling you find in other threads.

Oh really? Do tell :) Are you referring to THIS specific thread??
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I think if you're fit and healthy and it's absolutely what you want, then go for it. Obviously get checked out first.

My grandma had a child in her mid 40s (she didn't think she could get pregnant again - she already had given birth 5 times, 1 to a stillborn, and thought she'd been through the menopause) and unfortunately this one had downs. Back then of course they didn't have ultrasound scans and things.

My grandma looked after my aunt until she was in her early 40s (she now lives in sheltered accommodation) and had plenty of energy to do so. Sadly she died in 2010 aged 86, but she was always on the go when she was alive, and I think having so many kids, and one to look after later in life actually made her seem a lot younger.

I'm just 35 and have 2 kids and would love to try for another soon, which, if all goes to plan, would be born when i'm 36 and a bit. I don't feel old, and I'm fit and healthy. I like to think there wouldn't be a huge generational gap.....I'm a teacher anyway, and teaching teenagers keeps me young! My parents are 58 and 60, and they're pretty cool!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Not impossible, but less likely to happen naturally with very high risk for health to mom and baby and higher chances for disabilities and also multiples. Talk to your doctor and know what you're facing.

I knew a woman who accidentally got pregnant after her doctor assured her she was past menopause. The baby seemed fine, but as the child got older, a lot of problems presented, specifically due to the mom's age.
  • rst12267
    rst12267 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    They say your fertility declines dramatically after 35, but as you know all it takes is one strong sperm and one sound egg. I have 4 kids: My first 2 I had at 30 and 31 and my second 2 at 41 and 44. Yes, there were all very healthy and yes, all the diagnostic tests they make you take after 35 scared me into thinking they were not. Realistically the odds of having a chromosomal problem increases with the older eggs that is sure, but if you know that going in and it is a risk you are willing to take, then by all means go ahead.

Although my kids were all healthy, I myself had complications namely preeclampsia and gestational diabetes but I think that was more my personal makeup rather that directly caused by age. (Odds of maternal complications rise as your age increases though ) I find that I am in better shape today than I was before the younger 2 were born so I know I have enough energy for them. It is not as easy as when you're younger and your body takes a bit longer to bounce back, but for me it has been all worth it. I'm not crazy, the last 2 were not intentional but just evidence that sometimes a sliver of fertility is all you need. Good luck!