Calories up; fat & carbs down

Options
I calculated my BMR on here and did further research. I discovered that I should be taking in about 1800 - 1900 calories a day to correctly lose weight. I've also just started an exercise routine which should burn off about 390 additional calories every day - which will increase the amount of calories I'll need.

My concern is, how can I safely increase calories without increasing fat and carbs? Any and all ideas will be welcome.

Replies

• mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    RJ, You still need the same ratios of carbs:protein:fat. When you add your exercise MFP will add the # of cals with the correct ratio of macronutrients you need.
  • RJursik
    RJursik Posts: 13
    Options
    I'm sorry, I should have been clearer. I forgot to mention that I'm currently doing a diet of around 1000 calories and need to increase from THAT to 1800 - 1900. MFP is already figuring for my exercise. I need to find a safe way to add 800-900 calories but still avoid high fat/high carb foods.

Thanks for your help.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i'm sorry. it's still not clear to me. you can customize how many calories you eat and mfp will break down your protein/carbs/fats ratio. or are you looking for recipes?
  • RJursik
    RJursik Posts: 13
    Options
    Recipes, please. Thanks very much.
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be aiming to avoid fat or carbs - both are essential. When I first came to MFP I learned a lot through reading about nutrition and health. There're a few sticky threads in the "Food and Nutrition" section of the community message boards. I strongly recommend reading them. Plus, anything written by SHBoss is pretty much golden.

Spark People also have a few good articles that're easy to read and understand. I don't know what the US equivalent is, but the Australian Institute of Sport has some excellent material on nutrition and health (you don't have to be an athlete to follow their advice, trust me).

Some palces you definitely shouldn't get advice from include infomertials, day time TV, or celebrity magazines, or the "1 Tip for Weight Loss" adds all over the internet.

It takes a few days, but you'll learn a lot and eventually start thinking about food in a completely new way.