Olive oil?

Options
I have the biggest loser cook books . and healthier recepies call for using olive oil in a sparay bottle. Now i look at the back of the olive oil and 1 tabelspoon
has 120 calories and 120 are from fat?
14 grams of fat

Nothing else. i understand thats good but calorie wise to cook with 1 table spoon adds on 120 calories reallllly?
Is there diff types of olive oil or one that healthier?

Replies

• Josephina57
    Josephina57 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    all fats have the same amount of calories. Olive oil is a good fat. If you use a mister to spray the olive oil you will use only a fraction of that tablespoon.
  • FearlessRobb
    FearlessRobb Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    all fats have the same amount of calories. Olive oil is a good fat. If you use a mister to spray the olive oil you will use only a fraction of that tablespoon.

ill have to buy a sprayer then just wish i could measure the amount it sprays. i guess use my food scale spray in a cup to see how much is in each spray
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    A mister will use MUCH less olive oil.
    You'll probably not even use a Teaspoon.
  • sophrosyne_
    sophrosyne_ Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    they sell olive oil pam in stores, that might be easier solution.
  • FearlessRobb
    FearlessRobb Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    they sell olive oil pam in stores, that might be easier solution.

some recepies say do not use comressed sprayer lol
  • bilberryjam
    bilberryjam Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    How many people are the recipes for? If it's 4 then the 120 calories in a tablespoon of olive oil will work out at 30 each, which is nothing.

If you're cooking for one it's more difficult. I'm precious about my pans so I don't like cooking with 1/4 tablespoon. It's just not enough, even if I'm only cooking 1/4 of everything else. So I (reluctantly) take the 120 hit.

Personally, I find misters sticky and messy, but they work for some people. Maybe they'll work for you. Depends what I'm cooking, but sometimes I even pour out 1/4 tablespoon and brush it on the pan.

ETA: to answer your question, yes, there are different types of olive oil - that is to say, different grades. Extra virgin olive oil is the best and tastiest (and most expensive) and is good for salads and dipping, things where the taste really comes though. For general cooking, you could use a less fancy olive oil. But the grades have to do with purity and production, nothing to do with fat. Fat is not inherently unhealthy. In fact, our bodies NEED fat - for energy, absorbing vitamins, producing hormones, etc. Fat also makes you feel fuller longer. And olive oil is a very healthy source of fat.

TL;DR version: Don't be afraid of fat.
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I live in Spain and here we live on a mediterranean diet, which usually consists in using almost exclusively olive oil as fat source for cooking or in raw recipes. My nutritionist told me to use just one tablespoon of olive oil for cooking per meal. That would be two tablespoons per day. If you're happy with your progress you can use one tablespoon for cooking and an extra one for added flavour per meal (say, extra oil on your salad). For grilled stuff you can pour a tiny bit on a pan or grill and then use a napkin to remove the excess oil (or use a refillable mister bottle, of course).
    I've cooked this way for more than a year and I have lost a lot of weight.
    Olive oil is needed for absorbing certain vitamins and nutrients, don't be afraid to use it. If you ever fry something and use olive oil instead of other kinds of oils, you'll be making a healthier choice.
    If you use a non stick pan it will get evenbetter, but you still need those good fats. So don't get over obsessed and too strict, , because it won't necessarily make you thinner.
  • cthon98
    Options
    Oil is pretty much pure fat, in a liquid form. ANY oil is this way, it just depends on where you get it from. Olive oil, canola oil, coconut oil, it's all a lipid, just from different sources and thus different quality.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is generally your healthiest option in terms of oils and fats. Remember, calories are not the end all be all of a food nutritional value. Your body NEEDS fat to function, and olive oil is a healthy fat. Just like nuts, avocado....
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I refuse to give up my olive oil. I prefer this type of fat to the fat from butter or the bacon craze.
  • PearonaPair
    Options
    I use a Misto to spray my olive oil. I pumped it all the way and then sprayed into a spoon until it finished. It came out to 1 tablespoon :wink: