My case for weighing yourself every day.

Options

Replies

• cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    It would drive me crazy to weigh daily. I prefer once a week personally because I'm just not that worried about what the scale says. For me it's one way of measuring my efforts, but not the only way. In fact, for me it's not even the most important way. Ultimately, my goal is to look and feel better, regardless of what the scale says.

For my wife however, I believe she weighs daily and tracks it, but only logs the results here weekly. I'm honestly not sure why she weighs daily, but I believe she just needs the extra reassurance this provides her.

One final comment: According to data from The National Weight Control Registry , 75% of participants weigh themselves at least once a week. If you are not familiar with The National Weight Control Registry, this is a list of people that have lost at least 30 pounds, and maintained that loss for at least 1 year. In other words, a majority of people that lose weight and successfully keep it off weigh themselves at least weekly. This seems to me like strong evidence that we should all be doing the same. That said, who am I to judge? If weighing once a month or even less works for someone, they should keep doing what works.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I have often heard that you shouldn't weigh yourself every day because your weight will fluctuate and you may be discouraged. Well if you weigh in once a week and that happens to be the day you fluctuate up, tell me that is not discouraging having no weight loss in a week.

Ok getting to my point, I weigh in every day and today just happened to be a new low and that is encouraging. If I am up a pound tomorrow big whoop, I am fluctuating but if I reach another new low in a few days or a week from now, hey that shows real progress and makes me want to hit another new low. Maybe it's a case of "whatever works for you" but to me it just makes more sense of tracking real progress.

Thx,
    Marty

I do exactly the same and agree.
  • Jeffeweizen
    Options
    I don’t weigh myself everyday because to be honest, reaching a specific number on the scale is not my goal. My goal is to lose fat, and a body weight scale won’t accurately tell you if what you are losing is fat, muscle, water, bodily waste, or heck you can go cut off an arm and you will technically weigh less. In my mind I have a goal physique that I would like to have, and I don’t care if I weigh 200lbs or 186.3lbs when I get there. I feel that the body weight scale is the least effective tool a person trying to lose weight can use, and the real scale everyone should be using belongs in the kitchen, used to weigh food. This is why I only weigh myself once a week and I track my progress through pictures and taking regular measurements. If weighing yourself everyday keeps you on track that’s awesome. One way isn’t better than the other. Do what works best for you :smile: .
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    At first, I weighed every day. Then twice a day. Then I found myself hopping on the scale every chance I got. Surely, losing weight would not work like watching a pot of hot water just about to boil, right?! It'd just magically come off, right?!

Now, I drove myself crazy. I knew I didn't want to do a weekly weigh in (I tried to wait a day and couldn't even get that far), but for me, I decided that *once* was just fine. Once a day. First thing in the morning.

At first, before I got my FitBit Aria scale that told me the fat %, I was aiming just for a number. Now, though, weighing every day gives me so much data. And there's nothing I like more than pretty charts full of numbers that I can calculate into a programmable display. (Little too much of my software engineering comes to play here... >.>)

1) It shows me how what I ate the night before has affected my body.
    2) It shows me a way more accurate way to predict when my monthly cycle is about to come. (which, until now, has been largely based on just time).
    3) It shows me that over time, my weight is trending down, as is my body fat. That my lean muscle tends to stay about even with a slight loss.
    4) It also allows me to "guestimate" about when I might start shedding pounds. Because when I stay steady at X% body fat, and then suddenly shoot up, I know that likely as I've lost the fat, I've retained some water. And sure enough, a few days later, I'll have dropped two or so pounds.

(Boy would I LOVE it if my body actually just magically dropped two pounds each week like MFP and FitBit tells me I should be! Instead, it's an overall average, and having historical data also tells me about when I'll be losing the weight -- though it's not entirely predictable, obviously, as the body is about as predictable as the weather.)

Now, weighing every day is not for everyone. A friend weighs once a week, but I'd die if I weighed on the day that I had that 2-3 pound water weight increase, thinking I was not moving at all. So, each person needs to choose what's best for them.

So long as it's going in the right direction, that's what matters!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I knew it was a sin by buying a scale and that thing is so darn hard to stay away from. I fricken hate when you weigh in the am and four hours later, the scale tells me I gained 4 pounds. Scales suck....
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I weigh around twice a week. When I know I didn't have a ton of sodium the day before and after I've went to the bathroom. I don't have a bowel movement every day in the morning so I weigh myself on days I do in the morning...
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Twice a day works for me, otherwise too much weigh fluctuation and accountability is lost for me. IScale is my tool to guide me towards bikini world!:flowerforyou:
  • kmuree
    kmuree Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I find that whenever I weigh myself more than once a week, I'm obsessing.

Just saying. :flowerforyou: My personal take.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I do not weigh daily because I find that seeking validation from the scale can obscure the point of all of this.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I completely agree. I also think it's important to record your weight. If you record it and graph it you will see that even though your weight goes up and down all the time, the trend will be obvious whether you are losing/gaining/maintaining. If everyone did it this way it might cut down on a lot of the "I lost/gained blank pounds in 1 week/day/night" posts too.

I weigh in everyday too. I'm a numbers junkie. I graph my weight on hackersdietonline.
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I dont like to weigh every day because PMS bloat puts a good 3-4 lbs on me, which always comes off. So I weigh myself at a certain part of my cycle when I know I will not have that bloat.
  • lorettaasmith
    lorettaasmith Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    If I don't weigh every day its because I've slacked off on eating, logging and exercising and I don't want to hear what the scale has to say. Otherwise, I weigh daily, first thing in the morning, nekkid! That really is the best way for me to stay accountable.
  • jcs94553
    Options
    I weigh myself every day, at the same time of day. I lost 7 pounds in the last 10 days, and haven't lost any for the last 2 days. I feel discouraged because I haven't changed my caloric intake (only1200/day). But I believe weighing in every day makes sense.
  • transvenouspacer
    transvenouspacer Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I like weighing every day because I think it desensitizes me to the million little weight fluctuations you can have. This actually helps to keep me from freaking out about a weight gain and helps me recognize trends.

For instance, right now the scale shows that I've gained 3 pounds. Is that actual 3 pounds of fat or something else? Well I've been working out really hard for the last week plus I'm not getting enough sleep and just got through some really stressful shifts at work. I'm pretty sure it's just a result of being stressed, tired, and water weight. If I just weighed in once a week or less, I'd be more upset about the weight gain. However, since I weigh in daily I'm not too worried about it right now and will continue on my journey. :smile:
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day and log it weekly, along with waist, hip and thigh measurements.
    I love rountine so I hop on the scale daily to keep an eye on what's happening with the bod - I find although my weight fluctuates by about 400-600g day to day, the weekly trend helps me determine when a new low is actually a new low.

My weight loss goes something like this: new low, up 400g stay at that for 2-3 days, back down to new low, stay at new low. It's almost as regular as clockwork. So on the confirmation of the new low I log it.

It has also helped me to pinpoint if I have gone a little overboard on sodium the day before.

I have also found, via my scales, not to check in the day after I eat pasta or a rice dish at dinner because I haven't finished digesting them yet :laugh: so definitely no pasta or rice the night BEFORE a big night out!! :drinker:
  • smbakk
    smbakk Posts: 15
    Options
    I weigh myself every day or at least every other day, but I only record it here if I dropped at least 1 lb. I would be so disappointed if I waited all week, working hard to not go over my calories, thinking I was doing really good and anxious to see my reward of the scale number registering lower than it was, only to find out that I had not budged or even gained. That could possibly destroy my motivation to even try, so weighing daily or every other day works best for me.
  • gmansmom2
    gmansmom2 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I weigh in everyday and keep it in an excel spreadsheet!! Total nerd, I know. :smile:
  • harrip99
    harrip99 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I try not to weigh in daily, preferring weekly. Daily fluctuates too much and, whilst initially weight loss was my goal, my goal now is changing to be the size of my waist. For this, which hole I'm using in my belt is a fantastic measure!
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a month... I used to do it every day at first, then once a week, till I decided once a month was enough, the stress of the fluctuations was driving me crazy. Doesnt happen when you do it once a month =)
  • HopetoFaith
    Options
    I'm same like most of you, I weight in first thing in the morning and before bed, so far I have lost 5 kg in 45+ days on mfp, and I'm gona keep doing what I do now, even some people think its unhealthy to be upsets with scale but I don't care it works for me.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!