1200 calorie diet and maintaining weight!?!

Options
I had my first child in March and weighed in at 265 at my last prenatal appointment, a 100lb weight gain. 40 pounds came off within the first two months (from the baby and swelling) I am now down to 179 with diet and exercise. I have been on a 1200 calorie diet for a few months now and am no longer losing weight and no longer have energy to workout. I am constantly hungry and am normally eating most of the calories at night time.
I am really needing help! any suggestions/tips or answers on what I am doing wrong? Why am I not losing any weight while only eating 1,200 calories a day?

Replies

• shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough calories, You eat at night. Breakfast is the most importand meal. Your meals should look like an upside down pyramid. Most food at the beining of the day. Do you dring the daily recommended water? Do you exercise at least
    30 minutes a day? There are lots of things. I suggest looking at archived articles and you will see over and over the same advice.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your new baby! It's possible you are eating too few calories. Perhaps up them by a couple of hundred
    or so for a week and see what happens. It always sounds counterproductive but so often works for a lot of people.
    Maybe take a look at your diary and check the quality of your choices. That can be an issue as well.
    If you're always hungry and tired something isn't quite right. Spreading your calories over the day may help
    curb hunger.
    Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • chelseaautumn
    chelseaautumn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    A couple of questions....

Does myfitnesspal have you at 1200 or is this your goal? I am at 155lb. and myfitnesspal has my calorie intake at 1250 and I am not active AT ALL!! You may not be getting enough calories to let your body lose, particularly in you are exercising alot.

Are you nursing? This is NOT enough calories to nurse and be healthy.

You may have hit a plateau... is your diary open to view? Others may be able to help guide you in the TYPE of foods you are eating. For myself, when I hit a plateau I often have to go on a very low carb diet for a couple weeks to "startle" my body.... then I reintroduce the fruits and good grains.

Are you drinking enough water? You may be retaining water due to lack of hydration.

Anyhow, hopes this helps!!

Good luck on the journey!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I hope the link above will be helpful.

1200 calories may not be right for you. No way to know that without knowing a whole lot of other information about you, your height/weight stats, your goals, etc.

If you do some research and find that 1200 is the right calorie amount for you, then you may need to re-consider the types of food you are eating, and what type/how much exercise you are doing. Those will factor into whether you can make it work.