Heart Rate Monitor on a Budget; any suggestions?

Options
I've been stalling out recently on my weight loss and I'm thinking that it may be because the readings on the treadmill are overestimating the calories I've burned despite putting my age and weight in there. So, I'm thinking of investing in a heart rate monitor to get a better idea.

I'm currently on a limited budget and the most I'd be willing to spend on one is $100. Is there a particular brand anyone would recommend? Or, conversely, any brands to avoid? I'd prefer a soft strap, if possible.

Replies

• PaprikaPrincess
    PaprikaPrincess Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Did you try ebay? I bought a polar ft40 for $60 that was opened but new.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Or quit eating back exercise calories, or only eat 1/2 what you get back. Even having a HRM isn't going to guarantee weight loss if you eat it all back.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    i love my new polar ft4. less than 100, but it was a gift, so not exactly sure how much. comfy strap.
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I also got reimbursed for my Polar FT4 from my flex spending account. If you have that, its an option.
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I got a sport line at walmart for $30, shows HR , calories burned, exercise timer etc
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Look for sales on Polar units online.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I try to go with how I feel. A good rule of thumb is to gage by your breathing; if you are able to hold a conversation, you are not burning fat. If you can talk breathlessly, but with some difficulty, you are burning fat, and need to sustain that level through the majority of you cardio workout. If you are sucking wind and can't talk at all, you are working too hard and need to back off a bit or limit those moments to less than a minute.

For MFP calorie counting purposes, this would be listed as light, moderate and vigous activities. I've found the MFP estimates work well with this kind of scale, and is much more affordable than buying another piece of equipment.
  • Just_do_it_xo
    Just_do_it_xo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Did you try ebay? I bought a polar ft40 for $60 that was opened but new.

Agree I bought my HRM FT40 polar from amazon and I believe it was 100$+tax. Always check amazon and ebay and see.
  • mgnmsn
    mgnmsn Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I would save up for a nicer one to be honest.

I bought a cheap one from Walmart. It was 30 bucks down the drain.

Two months after, it stopped working. I ended up buying a Polar HRM for like 60 and it works well.

Should have just done that from the get go!
  • running_shoe
    running_shoe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Just get a polar if you want one that works. Look around at different stores and online. Prices vary considerably for the same unit.

I found the Polar read me higher than the gym machines or MFP, so I usually end up just going with the gym machines or MFP anyway.
  • dutchesse
    Options
    Or quit eating back exercise calories, or only eat 1/2 what you get back. Even having a HRM isn't going to guarantee weight loss if you eat it all back.

This is not an issue. I already do this. Thanks for completely irrelevant advice.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

This is not an issue. I already do this. Thanks for completely irrelevant advice.

You're welcome. If you already do this then why are you worried about being exact and how will being exact aid your weight loss?