oatmeal! grains!

Options
i am simply in love with oatmeal! i make savoury oats that are so good i have searved them at dinner parties as rosotto and gotten away with it no questions ask!! ( those are the real skills you get as a student!!)

i have gone grain free and found it fine and am not missing anything except oatmeal!!!!!
:( anyone have a suggestion to replace my old friend!! or just stick it out! :)(

cheers

Replies

• Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    i am simply in love with oatmeal! i make savoury oats that are so good i have searved them at dinner parties as rosotto and gotten away with it no questions ask!! ( those are the real skills you get as a student!!)

i have gone grain free and found it fine and am not missing anything except oatmeal!!!!!
    :( anyone have a suggestion to replace my old friend!! or just stick it out! :)(

cheers

Any particular reason you're going grain free? Oatmeal is one of the best foods you can eat, not exactly sure why you'd want to cut it out if you love it that much?
  • ediths6
    Options
    grains being inflammatory and raising insulin and all that i guess :(
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is one of the best foods you can eat, not exactly sure why you'd want to cut it out if you love it that much?

what makes you think oatmeal is so great?

there is nothing wrong with it but it is probably one of the most over rated foods on the planet.

our bodies don't even require the nutrients in oats (carbs)

I am not bashing oats they are way over hyped as a "health" food
  • spisea
    spisea Posts: 41 Member
    Options

No, and no.

I don't even think oatmeal is a grain. is it?

Oatmeal is a grain. But it is not inflammatory and it actually does a lot to normalize insulin responses. What IS unhealthy is what we often to do oats. Loading them with sugar and butter is unhealthy and can lead to sugar spikes/crashes.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    [
    Oatmeal is a grain. But it is not inflammatory and it actually does a lot to normalize insulin responses. What IS unhealthy is what we often to do oats. Loading them with sugar and butter is unhealthy and can lead to sugar spikes/crashes.

nothing wrong with real butter
  • spisea
    Options

OK, this is going to sound snarky, and I apologize in advance.... But have you considered keeping your wonderful grains and abstaining from fad diets instead? Because the fad diets will make you fat a lot quicker than an old fashion regimen of healthy whole foods. Fad diets let you loose weight quickly and easily, but they won't keep most people healthy and fit for long. They'll be gone before you know it and replaced with another fad.
  • spisea
    Options
    Oatmeal is one of the best foods you can eat, not exactly sure why you'd want to cut it out if you love it that much?

what makes you think oatmeal is so great?

there is nothing wrong with it but it is probably one of the most over rated foods on the planet.

our bodies don't even require the nutrients in oats (carbs)

I am not bashing oats they are way over hyped as a "health" food

Our bodies do require carbs. Whole grains are healthy for most people. The idea that we don't is another fad. It will be gone in a few years and in about 20 years, it will come back... again. The fad is fueled by the quick and easy weight loss at first, as well as a new generation who didn't try it 20 years ago only to discover that it doesn't work long term (for most people. We are all individuals.)
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options

cheers

Oh so sad... grain free... sounds miserable to me. :(

I'm not sure why you are doing that but here is what happened to me with all the various diets:

Diets like those are not sustainable and I found they hurt me in the long run, delayed my success.

These were the diets I tried and failed and did the diet yo-yo with for 15 years:

Low fat high carb, Slim-Fast, Weight Watchers, Atkins, Organic, Weston Price Diet, The Schwarzbein Principle, Eat Fat Lose Fat, The Ultimate PH Solution, The Makers Diet, A friends diet from a personal trainer/dietician

I finally just got sick of it all and made up my own diet with healthy foods I enjoy and smaller portions. I ate my meals from small desert plates and bowls. I stopped eating in the evenings (not that when you eat matters.) I started calling what I did mini-meals and mini-fasts and I lost 40 lbs. Then I found Eat Stop Eat and learned why it worked and everything took off for me at that point.

Eat what you want, eat what you like, mostly healthy. Don’t deprive yourself of foods you love unless there is a serious health risk. Depriving yourself of food you love and creating extensive good food and bad food lists at some point borders on a mental disorder. It will drive you insane.

Good luck to you. Does not sound like much fun, I've been there and done that. Never again.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I have the response to grains. Oatmeal is fine with me. Wheat is the worse. I use nuts & seeds in place of most grains.
  • freckles_cmj
    freckles_cmj Posts: 205 Member
    Options

No, and no.

I don't even think oatmeal is a grain. is it?

Not to mention is is loaded with fiber, which aids in digestion and weight loss, and is a good plant based source of protein.
    I never understood the hatred of carbs...plant based foods are carbs and are the most nutrient dense yet low calorie foods on the planet. If those protein based diets are so fantastic why are the authors all overweight (the paleo guy) or dead of heart disease and overweight (atkins)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=95fpzu38r44

not trying to push buttons but just a little food for thought ;)
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

Our bodies do require carbs.

seriously, our body does not need carbs. we must have protein and fat.

I am not saying cut all carbs. I eat carbs every day. And they supply fuel when we arent burning fat. But of the three macros, we can live without carbs
  • socomary
    Options
    Ever tried quinoa or amaranth? Those words are often followed by the word "grain", but they are not grains in the sense that oat, wheat, barley, and rye are. Oats, wheat, barley, and rye are grasses. Quinoa and amaranth are seeds of broadleaved plants - quinoa is in the Chenopodiacea family (related to spinach), and the weedy version of amaranth is referred to as "pigweed", and is in the Amaranthaceae family. Science aside, they are both quite tasty!
  • ediths6
    Options
    Well im not overweight im heavier than i was after medical treatment with steriods and mostly for my self esteem and what was original for me im losing weight back to where i was before i got sick- i never left the "healthy" bmi range. Im not fad dieting to lose weight quickly.

My medical issues resulted in gut issues and digestive problems i got put on a low FODMAP diet and felt alot better but still ill after certain foods and then i discovered that Paleo is often sucessfull for people with gut issues and i began to illiminate things as i found them problematic and realized most grains cause me issues including buckwheat and millet.

I havent noticed pain after oatmeal- i am assuming that it DOES have the same health issues as other grains becuase i dont understand why it would be different, that is why im thinking i should give it up.

if someone knows why its not inflamatory id love to know

i was thinking it must be the same as other grains and i havent noticed because though i eat it often i eat about a 1/3rd cup and eat with eggs and spinach and meat so maybe im not noticing pain due to how i eat it not that its a magical exception to not digesting grains correctly.
  • ediths6
    Options
    I have thank you for the suggestion! thats very sweet i have tried quinoa it didnt cause me pain i did get some bloat though i think soaking it more would be a potential way to improve that and it was MUCH MUCH better than wheat or something for my symptoms :)
    Ever tried quinoa or amaranth? Those words are often followed by the word "grain", but they are not grains in the sense that oat, wheat, barley, and rye are. Oats, wheat, barley, and rye are grasses. Quinoa and amaranth are seeds of broadleaved plants - quinoa is in the Chenopodiacea family (related to spinach), and the weedy version of amaranth is referred to as "pigweed", and is in the Amaranthaceae family. Science aside, they are both quite tasty!
  • cchhome
    cchhome Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If you have pain after eating wheat, barley, rye, etc, PLEASE go to a doctor and ask them to run a blood test for Celiac Sprue or Celiac disease. You also will have a biopsy if the blood test comes back positive. My mother and I both have it, and my mom almost died because of it, she was starving to death, despite eating mounds of food daily, and the doctors almost didn't figure it out. The solution is simple, gluten free diet. If this does not apply to you please disreguard.
    Celiac causes your intestine wall to react to the gluten in wheat, etc, and you will not beable to absorb the nutrients from the food you eat properly. Anemia is also a problem, and many other things too. For the test you will have to eat gluten containing grains for a time prior to testing or it will not give a proper test result, but if you can get an answer of yes, you have it, then you know that you need to avoid gluten for a medical reason, it makes it a little easier mentally than just feeling like you are depriving yourself of it. Oats are naturally gluten free, however, they are generally processed in the same mills of factory as gluten containing grains, so you have to look for gluten free brands. Also, pain after eating gluten is not a guarantee syptom. I have asymtomatic Celiac, which means I can eat the gluten and not feel bad, but I have had the testing done, and it seems to explain my anemia.
    Good luck with your food adventures!
  • socomary
    Options
    I have thank you for the suggestion! thats very sweet i have tried quinoa it didnt cause me pain i did get some bloat though i think soaking it more would be a potential way to improve that and it was MUCH MUCH better than wheat or something for my symptoms :)

For either, I usually toast it a bit in a hot pan (be careful not to burn) or saute/toast it in some fat (usually olive oil) before cooking it with liquids and the rest of the ingredients. Run a web search for recipes for either - you'll probably find that many recipes call for toasting them first before finalizing the cooking.
  • TeriLynnSpano
    TeriLynnSpano Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • TeriLynnSpano
    TeriLynnSpano Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have been anemic my whole life even though I take iron suppliments..............:huh: