I herniated a disk in my neck!! How do I stop myself from ge

Options
I've been casually using MFP for a couple months, but my life recently took a turn for the sedentary. I herniated a disk in my neck (super, super fun!) and my neurologist is forbidding me from lifting more than 12 pounds. I previously (though unfortunately about 18 months ago) was always at the gym, and maintained my weight easily. Now I don't know how to burn any calories aside from the exercise bike which does basically nothing!

Help guys.

Replies

• asheldon2010
    Options
    Walking is great exercise either on the treadmill or outside. I would like that better than the bike.
  • clothestoburn
    clothestoburn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with the same thing about a week ago. I have an appointment with the neurosurgern on the 15th. I'm very hardheaded and decided to just stick with my regular routine. (no one has told me not to yet) Your post really has me worried. Are you having surgery? Are you in therapy? How long until you can lift again.
  • Beastmilk
    Beastmilk Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was very scared to at first. You will definitely increase any pain that you have if you continue to lift weights, especially doing any types of rows where you are kneeling on a bench with your head facing the floor. I would stick to a bike until you meet with your neurosurgeon, as jogging a lot of times jostles things in your head and neck.

Don't worry, everyone is different. I agrivated my disk by years and years of being in the service industry, and not taking care of my body. I'm just having physical therapy, and if you can still exercise--I'm sure you're fine.
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    What other restrictions do you have? I find the elliptical really helps me burn calories fast; so does swimming.

Hope you'll get better! :flowerforyou: