Water or Coke

Options
benw
benw Posts: 211 Member
1. In many states (in the USA) the highway patrol carries two gallons of coke in the truck to remove blood from the highway after a car accident. (Unproven, however, it is reasonable to assume that it's true since phosphoric acid can dissolve rust and grease and was used by the steel industry to clean products.)
2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of Coke and it will be gone in two days. (Unproven, but fun to consider.)
3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and let the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush clean. (Source: www.howtocleananything.com, the popular household hint guru Mary Ellen says some coke in the toilet for an hour can do the trick.)
4. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous China. (Source: Columnist Heloise)
5. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola. (Source: According to Joey Greene's )
6. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion. (This is true of a lot of carbonated beverages.)
7. To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes. (Source:www.howtocleananything.com, the popular household hint guru Mary Ellen)
8. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy.
9. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains. (Source: www.howtocleananything.com, the popular household hint guru Mary Ellen)
10. Coke will also clean road haze from your windshield. (Unproven, however, it is reasonable to assume that it's true since phosphoric acid can dissolve rust and grease and was used by the steel industry to clean products.)
11. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. Its pH is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about 4 days (Unproven). Phosphoric acid also leaches calcium from bones and is a major contributor to the rising increase in osteoporosis (Source: UC Davis Health System).
12. To carry Coca-Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial truck must use the Hazardous material place cards reserved for Highly corrosive materials. (Source: Truth or Fiction web site - "My husband and I drive the big rigs and often carried Pepsi products...and it is true of all soda in the concentrated form...YES we did have to put the hazardous placards up for the load. Also the driver has to have passed the hazardous material test and have that on his CDL's (Commercial Driver's License)"
13. The distributors of Coke have been using it to clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years! (Unproven, but according to the Science is Fun site sponsored by the University of Wisconsin-Madison, Chemistry Professor, Bassam Z. Shakhashiri, the steel industry has used phosphoric acid to clean and rust-proof products.)

Now the question is, would you like a coke or a glass of water?

I pick water

Replies

• redbat
    redbat Posts: 9
    Options
    Now this seriously makes me glad i don't drink coke. That is disgusting, i hate to think what it does to your body. Really good post, very persuasive.
  • TwentyTen
    TwentyTen Posts: 585
    Options
    Fun facts there! Yikes.
  • queensara2478
    Options
    Any soda and alot of our snack foods has hazardous materials in it. How many people eat "bleached flour" UGH!! Think about it. I've learned so much about food and crap that is passed as food in our country to be DISGUSTED! I read EVERYTHING that I buy and stick to as many natural unproccessed foods as I can.
  • mudgemoe
    mudgemoe Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I never did like Coke - I'll take the water - thank you! I heard about Coke taking care of the corrosion on the car battery years ago! YUCK!!! Imagine what it is doing to our stomaches!
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Yumm I still love Coke...regular non diet coke..yumm. However its been YEARS but I do drink Diet. We soaked teeth in sodas and Mt Dew dissolved the teeth the fastest.
    You can actually clean and dissolve alot of things with Orange Juice too. and its "healthy"
  • my3lovebugs
    Options
    I do like me some Coke Lite BUT perhaps I should cut back. I would like to keep my bones healthy for as long as possible and not to mention the mental imagines in that post make me cringe. Thanks for the info.
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be a killjoy, but...
    http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/acid.asp

1. Removing blood with coke is a big time no-no. It's a hazardous material and must be disposed of with special chemical absorbants.
    2. You could put the steak in a bowl of coke, but I don't know how it works as a marinade. Carbonic acid is gone as soon a the bubbles are gone.
    3. Most sodas will remove stains
    4. Most sodas will remove stains.
    5. Rust should react to any soda and aluminum foil, but steel wool would be better than aluminum.
    6. Use any soda to remove rust from battery terminals
    7. Use any soda to remove rust from metal.
    8. Don't know how coke tastes as a marinade...
    9. Anything carbonated helps remove stains-selter water for white carpet...
    10. Not likely-you'd have to have something that can etch glass.
    11. The pH of coke is NOT 2.8 and the stomach is much more acidic than coke.
    12. Any material that if it were to get out of it's container would cause damage to the environment must be placarded over a certain amount.
    13. Don't know about this one. Seems like an expensive waste....
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Yumm I still love Coke...regular non diet coke..yumm. However its been YEARS but I do drink Diet. We soaked teeth in sodas and Mt Dew dissolved the teeth the fastest.
    You can actually clean and dissolve alot of things with Orange Juice too. and its "healthy"

you are sooo right, same with vinegar, baking soda, apple juice, lemon juice, peanut butter....they can all be used to either clean, disinfect, neutralize, or all of the above, and then think of all the crap in commercial cakes, cookies, granola bars....it's everywhere not just in coke, my family doc told me that drinking water from bottled water companies, such as nestle or evian and drinking tap water are some of the worst health risks, they contain ridiculous amounts of health hazards, the only way that we should drink water is from a purified source, and a brita water type filter system is not included as purified...go figure, my own bottle of water can cause me health problems
  • Sweetie_Pie92
    Sweetie_Pie92 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I got lucky on the ever-popular soda issue. Can't stand it in any form, mostly because of the carbonation (the horrible taste take a back seat). When I was two, my uncle gave me sip and I spat it all over the car....and the rest is history.....
  • deedeehawaii
    deedeehawaii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be a killjoy, but...
    http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/acid.asp
    Thank you, you saved me the time in looking it up myself to post here. Hey everyone, by the way, speaking of Snopes.com, it is a great resource for checking about urban legands. Before you forward that email you just got with a wild story or supposed facts, check it out first at Snopes to see is it is just a fake (rumor/legend). Your email friends will thank you for doing so.

Meanwhile, I agree that the choice between water or coke = water. :happy:
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I choose...... BOTH!!!! BAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA!