5k and reasonable time goal?

Options
Need some input. I run a 5k (treadmill) three days a week after completing the c25k program a little while back. I'm 36 years old and consider myself a beginner, possibly moderate runner. Still trying to lose more weight (about 25 more pounds so I'm not exactly light on my feet or fast) but I honestly love the runner's high. What is a respectable time for someone at my age and skill level to finish 3.1 miles? Ran my PB today at 36:35. Trying to nail down a goal. Thoughts?

Replies

• ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I know you are looking for a specific number, but really, honestly it's all relative to where you start.

The world record for women is 14 minutes, 11 seconds.
    Most courses have either a 60- or 90-minute cutoff.
    So, somewhere between 14 and 60 minutes. :)

As you lose weight, the speed will get easier (rule of thumb is 2 seconds per mile per pound, so if you lose 25 pounds, that alone should take 2-3 minutes off your time). If you increase your mileage beyond the 5Kx3 per week, you will also get faster. You can keep adding in little bits, just like you did with the c25k, working up to as much as you have time for. How much time and effort you are willing to put in to this will dictate how much you can improve. If you keep doing what you are doing, you will likely keep getting faster, bit by bit; if you are willing to add some significant mileage, you will improve more quickly.
  • mhoward685
    mhoward685 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I think that is awesome. Since we started using timing chips I am not as up on age brackets/times as I use to be. I think that is a great time. Completing a 5k in less than 45 minutes is great. The fastest runner at our 5k last weekend finished in 21 minutes and was early 20's.
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I gave myself a 30 min target.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I ran my first in a little more than 43 minutes. I was more concerned about finishing and being able to run the entire time than I was speed.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a time goal for my first one as I had no idea how everything was supposed to go. After that one I had a benchmark and have adjusted my time goal based on past performances for every race since.

Basically I don't have an ultimate goal. I just try to go faster than I did last time.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    for more specific numbers to compare, you can also look up results from local 5Ks and filter by age/gender so you see what people in your age group are running.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    My fastest time was 38.40 on a downhill course 2 years ago. The fastest time I've seen is just under 14 mins (same course)
  • Sassybecky
    Options
    I just ran my first 5k last weekend at 37:11. I ran the whole thing and that was my goal. Keep in mind when you're running a race - if it was crowded like mine - you will also be dealing with crowding issues and won't be able to go as fast as you would running solo because of slow people walking/running in front of you on the course. Good luck!
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I'm 30 and my PR is 28:11 and I'm about 15 lbs from my weight goal. I'm going to aim for a 26 next year. My first one this year about 2 months before that was 43:12. The key to increasing my speed was to add in speed training and weight lifting to my weekly routine. I think just keep setting faster and faster goals.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I do 5km in 25 mins.... but that's just me. There is no reasonable time for it, don't push yourself to get it done faster. I did that once to beat my PB in 10km ...did it but it was a once off cause I was wrecked from pushing harder than I should have.
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Run your first race to finish. Compete with yourself. I'm 42 my first was 45 minutes my best was 34.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Just sign up for the race and run the best you can. Whatever time you achieve will be a new personal best. Sign up for your next one and try to beat the previous time by 2-5 mins.
  • dela1000
    Options
    Like they said above, its all relative so race yourself. So your time is 36:35, next time try to go for 33:30. It seems like very little, but an 3 minute decrease means you lower your mile pace by a whole minute! Then try to break 30.

Keep pushing and keep doing great!
  • selig0730
    selig0730 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    i just try the best i can and everytime i run i try to beat my personal best so this way im not competing vs other people just myself
  • mlwatts2
    mlwatts2 Posts: 247
    Options
    Also remember running on a treadmill is very different from an actual road or trail course. Just do it and enjoy it!
  • mecaseyrn
    mecaseyrn Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am a newbieish runner and I have run in 3 5k races, the first one was 39minutes, the second was 37minutes and the last one was 36:30. I am 5'4'' and 182lbs. The fastest I expect to run is around 33minutes...
    Don't push yourself. It will come with time. Sometimes distance is better than speed. I run 5 miles in almost exactly an hour.
    Good luck!
  • roro1925
    roro1925 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My personal goal was to run an entire 5k by December for my 30th and I actually did it last weekend at my second 5k ever!! I walked my first one and finished in 49 minutes. I ran last weeks cross country 5k in 32 minutes. So my next goal is to beat my time. I agree with what some people are saying....it should be a personal goal. Do your thing at your own pace and don't worry about being faster than others and just enjoy the run. Good luck!
  • afaruqi
    afaruqi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My first ever 5K run was about 14 months ago and on a tredmil done in 38mins when I used to weigh at about 202 ilbs. Now my best time for a 5K run in 26min outdoors and I weigh about 180 pounds.
    Running is a true passion for me... I love it....
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Keep running, focus on endurance first and your times will improve (to a degree ) as your overall fitness improves. You will, at some point his a speed "plateau" that will only improve if you actually do some speed work but that is another issue.

If you're thinking of entering a race (they're a lot of fun) I would highly recommend adding outdoor running sessions to your training. Running outdoors is very different from a treadmill. I trained almost exclusively on a treadmill for my first 5K and my shins were complaining vociferously by about the 3rd km. (I ran that one in just under 40 min in Sep 2009, I ran the same race this past September in 26:07 and am in training for my 1st marathon next May)
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing well! Keep running and enjoying your "high" - I have yet to find it, ha! Maybe there is someone you can partner with to run outside and pace together? The company and the competition will be an inspiration.