Considering my first 5k

Options
I exercise 5 days a week 30 minutes on the elliptical at about 4mph for 2 miles and 30 minutes of strength training. I can do 60 minutes on the elliptical 4mph for 4 miles. I don't have anything other than this to judge if I can complete a 5k at all let alone in a decent amount of time.

I have artificial hips which is why I use the elliptical and not a treadmill, it's lower impact.

Thoughts?

Replies

• BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    It's worth a try! They usually give you an hour or more to run/walk the 5k. Never done one myself, but working towards it now. I've talked to people who have and they are in love. It's a very non-competitive, fun atmosphere
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are in fine shape to finish as long as it doesn't cause hip pain.
  • imakimm
    imakimm Posts: 839
    Options
    You might want to ask your doctor about it, if you have doubts, so you don't hurt yourself. Don't worry about time! Especially, since it's your first time doing a 5k! They are fun and have a relaxed atmosphere. If you are worried about how long it will take you to finish you can sign up for the earliest wave so you have until all the waves are called to finish. If you are planning on running you can do walking and running intervals to lessen the impact. Don't worry about the time, just have fun!! :-)
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to your doc about jogging?

http://freew67.blogspot.com/
  • mhoward685
    mhoward685 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement. I wouldn't jog, I would have to walk it as I am too heavy to jog.
  • kmoore02
    kmoore02 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I did my first 5k at 300lbs. I walked and ran and finished in 40 minutes. It was a tough one because it had a lot of steep hills. You should be fine but survey the landscape before you sign up!