Counting calories??

Options
Ok, first let me start out by saying I LOVE THIS SITE!! I have tried to lose weight before and succeed and it always seems to come back. I am now at my heaviest 240..YIKES and I want to lose it for good this time... So heres my question to allthose fabulous inspiring people on here that I am so excited to become friends with....

I put myself on a 1000 calorie diet and its been working out thus far... however I have read many posts on here w people saying that they went into "starvation mode" and had to increase there calorie intake to continue with there weight loss goals.. Im confused. Should I stay w my 1000 calorie plan or will it come back to haunt me??...

Replies

• becky23
    becky23 Posts: 60
    Options
    Don't do it!! If I could go back to the start and change how I lost this weight (eating 1000cals) I would! Eat AT LEAST 1200cals and anytime you workout, eat those calories you burned.

I'm stuck at 160, for the past 2 months I haven't lost anything. My body is hanging onto everything and won't budge.

Don't starve yourself like I did.
  • evilras
    evilras Posts: 42
    Options
    you can last for about 4-6 weeks eating 1200 calories and banking the calories burned at the gym. But then you have to eat to lose weight! Your body has to feel its not being starved! so 2000 calories eaten and 800 burned at the gym makes the body feel it is working correctly, and doesnt notice you're stealing the calories!

Remember, losing weight safely and healthily means a long slow road. And anything under 800 calories makes you officially anorexic. just think, you're merely a bowl of cereal away from an eating disorder. And no-one wants that!

Good luck!
  • ♥seoid♥
    ♥seoid♥ Posts: 476
    Options
    hi and welcome! you need to eat more than 1000 calores! listen to the peeps on this board, they know what they are talking about. i'm fairly new and still learning. i'm actually having a hard time eating all my calories because i haven't been hungry. good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • nirvanadaze
    Options
    a
  • whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    As evilras mentioned, the losing weight party will come to an end after an amazing month of losing weight like u wouldn't believe it. Then you may have anywhere between 3-6 months of no weight loss as a result of your body's "freak out" over the dramatic change. I'm in that period right now and as I see it if I want the scale to go down any further I'm gonna have to eat more.

Don't cut your diet in half, take it slow, I know that's hard to do, but that's the natural process.
  • flbeachbuddy
    flbeachbuddy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have found links in this posting very helpful - on includes eating your calories and metabolism.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I got stuck at 6 pounds from my goal couple of weeks ago. I changed my weight loss goal to 1/2 a pound per week (which increased my cals to 1430) and began exercising a little more. Now I only have 3 pounds to go. I would say start out eating more and slowly decrease if you don't lose 1/2 a pound to 2 pounds a week.
  • bebhinn
    bebhinn Posts: 198
    Options
    Its so true. Hell just the other day I broke a plateau by increasing my calories from 1500 to 2000 for four days.... you have to keep your body properly fed, and keep it guessing! (And for the record, I tried to keep it fed full of good things, not McD's!)

I always eat at least HALF my workout calories too!! Trust me, it works.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode aside, At your weight and what you want to lose...you will lose weight at 1000 calories a day.

However, I'm betting you can't keep that up long enough to even get to starvation mode. You'll feel deprived and frustrated and eventually fall off the wagon like you have before. And you know I'm right.

Try a different approach this time...and it's going to take some time, but you'll feel better faster and be encouraged to press on. First off log your food, even if it's not healthy. This will give a good idea of what you are doing to yourself. Then pick one food that's bad for you and eliminate/greatly reduce you consumption of it. While you're getting comfortable with that change..be researching healthy foods to replace it. Once you're comfortable with that, move on to something else. And after a few weeks you'll be eating a lot better than you were befere, you'll feel better, and the weight will take care of itself.

That's how I've done it. Good Luck