how would you react if you got paid less than another....

Options
delete

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    For the most part I think wages are negotiated going in. If you go in accepting whatever is offered, you may be paid less than the guy who goes in and is more demanding. There's a risk to negotiating a higher wage to start - you have to be willing to walk away from the job offer. But it can be well worth your while if you are convincing.
  • DaphneAtx
    Options
    First off, it's probably against company policy to discuss your compensation with other employees (or it should be), so be prepared to hear that. Do you know these other people's background? Maybe they have training, schooling or certifications you don't. Or else maybe they just negotiated a better rate when they were hired and you didn't. Usually, the 'it's not fair' complaint at work doesn't go very far with HR, so don't be surprised if it doesn't get you anywhere.
  • Michaelsdin
    Options
    well thats the problem with security they never asked for it because for the most part guards in general dont ask for a certain pay because most security firms go by site pay you get paid what the site pays nothing more obviousely something less tho lol
  • Michaelsdin
    Options
    they dont have training schooling or certifications, I on the other hand do have all of that only 1 other guard here has any training and it has to do with water treatment, there is no negotiating with this company for pay as i stated.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    So I started my job about 3 1/2 months ago and I am very thankful I have a job that gives me full time hours. But how would you feel if you made 1 dollar less than the person beside you doing the EXACT same thing and them saying they never "received a raise" I currently work for security and am doing truck logisitics (checking in/out trucks verifying paperwork, breaking seals, printing BOLs, putting seals on trucks....so on so forth something shipping clerk gets paid 15-18dollars an hr where i live. Now another person who has been here for only 2months more than i have (at this site not with the company, with company 2 1/2 years) gets paid 11dollars an hr, along with another guard here who has been here 1 year and i believe 1 1/2 with company. They both make 11 an hr, now another new guard just got here has worked for the company for 10months and after his training he was told he would make 11an hr. The way security works is you get paid by the "site wage" all three of these gentleman said they have never received a raise and they have all been told the site minimum is 11 an hr so they were TOLD. I am going into a meeting with my HR manager on monday to talk about this because I don't think it is right. I could understand if they all had different pays around the 11 dollar range then a raise would of been awarded but this cant be the case because their length of employment all differ so much....whats your insight on it?

I make approx THREE TIMES LESS than the person who does * exactly *the same job as me ( and I make a 'corporate salary'), at my same grade , same level of responsibility and of the same age as me in our US office. our taxes are much higher and our cost of living is WAY higher. go figure.
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are supposed to discuss wages between co workers so I would be careful. I could lose my job if I did.
  • Rita_Rocker
    Rita_Rocker Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    OMG please DON"T DO IT!!! For your own sake, just let it go for now and take some time to show this company what kind of awesome worker you are. Pick a job that nobody wants to do...do it really well with a smile, that kind of thing. I feel really bad for you that you are in this position. I could tell you stories about my own situation but that would take time and can't post on here. I am in HR, I have been underpaid, I have been given bad reviews that were lies, men are paid way more than me....etc...etc...etc... I totally understand about things not being fair!

Think of how your conversation Monday with HR is going to go...play it in your head. Are you going to say so-and-so told me their wages? They will not be there in that HR office by your side. Sounds like you all sit around with nothing to do but chit chat, or it might sound like that to your employer, even if it is not true. They are going to say to you "I can't discuss others wages with you"...or other conditions of employment. You really should consider the BIG picture of your life. You have a full time job!! Amen!!

In this hard job market employers can take advantage and do (and pay) what they want. Not fair. It sucks. We only pay $9.50/$10.00 for that type of job at my work! Nobody can take care of their family on those wages. I fear that you will walk out of HR office feeling like no resolve. Then you could be labelled as a trouble maker and they will find another way to get rid of you.
    If you are willing to risk that, than go ahead. There are 500 others that would like to have your job. Just sayin.

I placed a job opening ad on Monster.com in August and got 550 resumes in 2 weeks! I know it is unfair, I know you are mad.
    I know you want to defend yourself because you are worth more. This is why chatting about wages or bonuses is so dangerous! There is always someone making more than you. What is your spiritual faith? Do you KNOW that God already has a plan for your life and He has it all under control?? Maybe this is a test of your attitude so God can move you up. This is a trial...what do we do in a trial...stay strong and focused and keep smiling....until. That's it!

Obsticles are put in between you and your goal to see if you really wanted it, or just thought you did.

Good luck, Rita
  • Kearsed
    Kearsed Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I work for one of the biggest unions in the world and I pretty much start out making half of what employees make doing the same exact job. It takes 7.5 years to catch up to them in the pay scale

If you are not happy with that, you can always quit your job and someone else will surely take it.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    First off, it's probably against company policy to discuss your compensation with other employees (or it should be), so be prepared to hear that.

I don't understand this (and it has happened in my work place). I think if everyone is comfortable, it is good to discuss those things, so you can find out if you're getting screwed. Happened to my sister. Working there for 3 years, made .50 cents less an hour than a newbie. The only way they found out was because they talked about it...
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    In my experience, discussing wages with co-workers is a recipe for trouble. It often leads to frustration, resentment, & anger. Striving to do the best at your job will pay off more in the long term than stewing over what someone else makes.

And on a somewhat lighter note....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tJH5MVRe2U