I have hit a plateau and NEED HELP!!!

Options
Hello there fellow friends! I will try to sum up for you all shortly what has been going on the last 4 weeks. I have had pretty steady weight loss over the last 5 months. I hit my goal of 150 pounds after 28 pounds of weight loss the first week of October (2.4 pounds lost that week) Since then, I have had NO WEIGHT LOSS. I haven't gained, thank the Lord, but my loss had halted totally. Take a look at my food diaries..... I eat healthy grains, fruits and veggies almost everyday and I work out 5-6 times a week at an hour minimum. I am just wondering if I am eating too few calories and my body is holding onto weight or if I am not pushing hard enough? I am really confused. I just recently purchased Insanity and plan on starting that monday, but I am not totally sure what it is I should be doing as far as diet.... ANY IMPUT is appreciated and feel free to tell me like it is. Also what is everyone's thoughts on net calories vs. food calories. THANKS SO MUCH!

Replies

• minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Your BMR lowers as you lose body weight.

Instead of using MFP's 1200 calorie value as your base, try calculating your BMR using the Mifflin St. Jeor formula or Katch McArdle formula. Calculate your TDEE from your BMR. Then input your custom TDEE - your deficit into MFP.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Hello there fellow friends! I will try to sum up for you all shortly what has been going on the last 4 weeks. I have had pretty steady weight loss over the last 5 months. I hit my goal of 150 pounds after 28 pounds of weight loss the first week of October (2.4 pounds lost that week) Since then, I have had NO WEIGHT LOSS. I haven't gained, thank the Lord, but my loss had halted totally. Take a look at my food diaries..... I eat healthy grains, fruits and veggies almost everyday and I work out 5-6 times a week at an hour minimum. I am just wondering if I am eating too few calories and my body is holding onto weight or if I am not pushing hard enough? I am really confused. I just recently purchased Insanity and plan on starting that monday, but I am not totally sure what it is I should be doing as far as diet.... ANY IMPUT is appreciated and feel free to tell me like it is. Also what is everyone's thoughts on net calories vs. food calories. THANKS SO MUCH!

You can be losing fat weight and gaining LBM weight (not muscle, just other stuff).

Hence the need to have measurements, about 8 different spots to compare.

If those haven't moved in 3 weeks along with weight, then you are currently eating at TDEE or maintenance level right now.

If this was sudden, did you start exercising more, drop calories more?

Have you read Insanity's info as to how much you should eat?

Do it and you'll likely see results. Stay at your same low level and you won't get nearly the results from the effort you are putting into it, if much of anything.

And yes, you are eating way too little for that level of exercise. Might as well not even waste time doing it since you can't get the full benefit from it.

Once your exercise takes some of those calories off the top of what you eat just to burn for energy, and your basic metabolism (BMR) takes the rest, what exactly is left for the body to work with to actually improve things?

You might benefit getting a handle on what you should be eating for a healthy loss, and getting real benefit from those workouts.

Use this, and read the stickies on the group.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717858-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-and-deficit-calcs-macros-hrm
  • phyllio77
    phyllio77 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I am sorry you are not seeing any more results with your weight loss. I did not see the scale more in over 13 days. I actually gained 0.3lbs...but when I did my measurements I lost inches...LOTS of inches. Remember muscle weights more then fat to. I would maybe check your MFP goal settings and alter them to be more strict? I would also suggest to eat as close to your calories as possible. Especially if you are doing intence cardio....your muscles need this. Good for you for losing nearly 30lbs...that is amazing. Happy weight loss journey:)
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I peeped your diary. You're making good food choices, just don't eat back exercise calories. MFP tells you you burned way more than you're actually burning.
  • blwalton70
    blwalton70 Posts: 71 Member
    Options

Instead of using MFP's 1200 calorie value as your base, try calculating your BMR using the Mifflin St. Jeor formula or Katch McArdle formula. Calculate your TDEE from your BMR. Then input your custom TDEE - your deficit into MFP.

What is TDEE???
  • blwalton70
    Options
    I peeped your diary. You're making good food choices, just don't eat back exercise calories. MFP tells you you burned way more than you're actually burning.

would you suggest that I not use any of my work out cals? I was wondering about that..... people are frecking out that I am eat =ing too few cals now though.... SO CONFUSING!
  • blwalton70
    Options
    I am sorry you are not seeing any more results with your weight loss. I did not see the scale more in over 13 days. I actually gained 0.3lbs...but when I did my measurements I lost inches...LOTS of inches. Remember muscle weights more then fat to. I would maybe check your MFP goal settings and alter them to be more strict? I would also suggest to eat as close to your calories as possible. Especially if you are doing intence cardio....your muscles need this. Good for you for losing nearly 30lbs...that is amazing. Happy weight loss journey:)

I haven't been measuring myself, but I guess it's something I should start doing... I have been lifting and running more, so perhaps I am building muscle! Thanks for the encouraging words!
  • blwalton70
    Options

You can be losing fat weight and gaining LBM weight (not muscle, just other stuff).

Hence the need to have measurements, about 8 different spots to compare.

If those haven't moved in 3 weeks along with weight, then you are currently eating at TDEE or maintenance level right now.

If this was sudden, did you start exercising more, drop calories more?

Have you read Insanity's info as to how much you should eat?

Do it and you'll likely see results. Stay at your same low level and you won't get nearly the results from the effort you are putting into it, if much of anything.

And yes, you are eating way too little for that level of exercise. Might as well not even waste time doing it since you can't get the full benefit from it.

Once your exercise takes some of those calories off the top of what you eat just to burn for energy, and your basic metabolism (BMR) takes the rest, what exactly is left for the body to work with to actually improve things?

You might benefit getting a handle on what you should be eating for a healthy loss, and getting real benefit from those workouts.

Use this, and read the stickies on the group.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717858-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-and-deficit-calcs-macros-hrm

WOW! You know your stuff! It's hard because what I have been doing the last 5 months has been working and to see the results stop makes me frustrated. I did take a look at some other calculaters and it said I should be eating more.... I will give it a try. Plus, with the Insanity workouts, they say you should eat more to give your body the "fuel" it needs. THanks for taking the time to write me back and help me figure things out. I was the weight in high school and was this weight most of my life, it's no suprise to me that this last 15 pounds is gonna be hell to get off!
  • jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    hi ... i am also sailing in the same boat ... my weight has reached a plateau too .. for almost 6 months.... since i was consuming 800-900 calories for 1 year and past 2 months i have increased it too1300 calories and now i am going to increase my calories to 2300 gradually...
    y dont u join the EM2WL group on mfp .. it is helping me out.... since this being my first week for resetting my metabolism cannot say much about tht change but will wait to see the result
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I am sorry you are not seeing any more results with your weight loss. I did not see the scale more in over 13 days. I actually gained 0.3lbs...but when I did my measurements I lost inches...LOTS of inches. Remember muscle weights more then fat to. I would maybe check your MFP goal settings and alter them to be more strict? I would also suggest to eat as close to your calories as possible. Especially if you are doing intense cardio....your muscles need this. Good for you for losing nearly 30lbs...that is amazing. Happy weight loss journey:)

I don't know why people say this. Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. 1 pound = 1 pound. However, muscle does take up more room than fat which is why you could be losing inches and not weight. But, you're absolutely not going to be gaining even a pound of muscle in that short amount of time. Muscle takes a long time to build unless you are lifting heavy and eating quite a bit more.

You may want to invest in a heart rate monitor because MFP greatly overestimates the number of calories burned. I second the idea of not eating your exercise calories back or not eating all of them unless you have a really big burn. Try this for a few weeks and see what happens.
  • steph5471
    steph5471 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi BLWalton70, you definately hit a plateau. Sometimes to break a plateau you need to change up your exercise and decrease your calories for a week and then switch it up. Often times if you are eating the same foods and doing the same type of exercise and level of exercise your body get's used to it and will not lose anymore. You said you just got Insanity if that work out is different from what your used to then that will be perfect. Are you working with a coach from Beachbody?
  • steph5471
    Options
  • appleseeds
    appleseeds Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    this was happening to me for 6 weeks (I weight the same as you) and then in the ladt 2 days I dropped 1.5kg.
    I dont know if i was tracking in accurately. My deficits some days were very high (like 1000cal or more) but there were also several days in a row where I ate too much because it was making me depressed.

All I can say is for the most part I stuck with it for the 6 weeks (aside from 1 bad week)
    In the last 3 days I had a 500 cal deficit so MAYBE its because i upps my cals slightly - but even though there was a week at maintenance there was no change following that.

All I can say in my experience is make she you are logging accurately, and be patient.

I was stuck floating between 77.1kg - 78.5kg for 6 weeks.

then

Friday - 77.3kg
    Saturday - 66.8kg
    today - 65.6kg

go figure
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If you have been at a calorie deficit for a while you may need to take a diet break to get your hormones in whack. Dieting and exercising are hard on the body and can throw them off.

Assuming that you are eating at what should be a calorie deficit for your size/age etc, I would suggest looking at this article:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html
  • jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    bump
  • steph5471
    Options
    Hi BWalton70 check out this article I found on Breaking a Plateau: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weight-loss-plateau/MY01152
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I haven't been measuring myself, but I guess it's something I should start doing... I have been lifting and running more, so perhaps I am building muscle! Thanks for the encouraging words!

On a deficit you will not be building muscle with the exception of a pound or two of what is known as 'newbie gains'. What will happen is that you will be retaining more water in the muscles as they repair themselves. Now, that is not to say what you are doing is not beneficial - it is. You will be getting stronger, both physically and cardiovascularly (I don't think that's an actual word btw) from the lifting and running. Plus you will experience neuromuscular adaptation which is basically 'waking up' your muscles.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

What is TDEE???

Total Daily Energy Expenditure - its basically what you burn in a day (aka maintenance).
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Being that you presently weigh 152 and have a goal of 135, a deficit between 10-15% below actual TDEE would be more ideal. As fat mass decreases, you need to decrease your deficit. Aside from the endocrine alterations people above have mentioned that result naturally from calorie restriction, gradually reducing the deficit is needed for a few reasons.

First, the psychological adaptations can be quite stressful. If you consider two deficits, one about 15% below maintenance and the other being 35% below, which would likely cause more paranoia when thinking of returning back to maintenance? Obviously, the 35% cut since it would lead to a larger difference between present and adjusted maintenance calories. Thus, you want to gradually decrease the deficit the closer you get to your goal so the psychological effect of dieting is minimized.

Secondly, the amount of fat oxidation that takes place depends on how much fat mass you have. The more fat mass one has, the larger the deficit they can assume. In contrast, as fat mass decreases, a smaller deficit is needed because any extra work will be unnecessary and will lead to excessive loss in lean body mass as well as accelerating decline in RMR and leptin as well as potential increase in cortisol.

A side note on cortisol - excessive calorie restriction and exercise can lead to a stress too great for your body to adapt to. Once you set parameters to extremes - such as too much exercise and not enough calories - cortisol levels skyrocket. One of the effects of elevated cortisol is water retention - a lot of it. This can mask actual evidence of fat loss. To remedy this, you simply reduce the deficit by: upping calories, reducing exercise or both.
  • blwalton70
    Options
    Being that you presently weigh 152 and have a goal of 135, a deficit between 10-15% below actual TDEE would be more ideal. As fat mass decreases, you need to decrease your deficit. Aside from the endocrine alterations people above have mentioned that result naturally from calorie restriction, gradually reducing the deficit is needed for a few reasons.

First, the psychological adaptations can be quite stressful. If you consider two deficits, one about 15% below maintenance and the other being 35% below, which would likely cause more paranoia when thinking of returning back to maintenance? Obviously, the 35% cut since it would lead to a larger difference between present and adjusted maintenance calories. Thus, you want to gradually decrease the deficit the closer you get to your goal so the psychological effect of dieting is minimized.

Secondly, the amount of fat oxidation that takes place depends on how much fat mass you have. The more fat mass one has, the larger the deficit they can assume. In contrast, as fat mass decreases, a smaller deficit is needed because any extra work will be unnecessary and will lead to excessive loss in lean body mass as well as accelerating decline in RMR and leptin as well as potential increase in cortisol.

A side note on cortisol - excessive calorie restriction and exercise can lead to a stress too great for your body to adapt to. Once you set parameters to extremes - such as too much exercise and not enough calories - cortisol levels skyrocket. One of the effects of elevated cortisol is water retention - a lot of it. This can mask actual evidence of fat loss. To remedy this, you simply reduce the deficit by: upping calories, reducing exercise or both.

I am not sure what my body fat % is.... I should probably look into that. I just want to clear this up, so you are saying I should up my calories? I have no problem doing that. Would you say a 100-200 cal deficit at the end of each day is appropriate? Hate to bother you, just wondering what you think I should do. I have had several people tell me I am eating too much of my work out calories back. THis is all so confusing! Sounds like I need to change up my diet and work out routine.