Anorexic/Bulimic/EDONS Ladies

Options
I've been using mfp for a few months now, but i'm new to the community section. Looking for new friends- anorexic, bulimic, EDNOS people add please as I know trying to get healthy and lose weight in a healthy way with people who can relate to you is a huge help for me since we tend to have more of the same thoughts/ problems!

AND FOR ALL THE HALL MONITOR NAZIS OUT THERE:
I am not promoting an eatingdisorder or trying to have one. I already have one- im trying to get better and lose weight in a healthy way by eating 1,200 calories/day so please dont bother replying if you're going to criticize someone for having a disorder.

Replies

• I would never criticize you. I will, however, tell you that a very very small percentage of people should be eating 1200 calories to properly and healthily lose weight. If you would give me some stats, such as your height and weight and whatever else you have, I can check and see if that is enough calories for you. Sounds like you could use all the best information and support you can get, and I can help if you like. :flowerforyou:
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Well if you have an eating disorder I think addressing those issues require a break from your weight loss goal. Id recommend proceeding with recovery before you go down this path at all.
  • tinyplease123
    Options
    Thanks! but 1,200/day is what MFP and my doctor told me is ok if I want to lose weight. I'm a pretty small person. When I work out I try to eat more on those days, but otherwise I have a really inactive job.
  • Freidon
    Freidon Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of people who argue back and forth on this site whether 1200 is just right or not enough. Either way, walk before you can run. 1200 calories sounds like a good place to start, just make sure you log your exercise deficits. (Although MFP's calculators tend to overestimate burned calories. ) I'm glad your on your way to recovery! I have a close friend that suffered from bulimia. Eating disorders are tough, and I'm sorry you had to go through that. When I was trying to find a site where I could count calories. MFP was the first that promoted it in a healthy way.

I haven't seen many people on the boards talk about their personal experiences with eating disorders here, but I'm sure there are many out there. I suggest trying tomorrow at a busier time. A lot of people might be offline or asleep. Good luck!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I was Ed-NOS and changed to Ana b/p and have been within normal weight range for about 8 years since hopsitalization/treatment and refeeding. I'm trying to lose weight the right way but it's so hard not to fall back into old habits
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I wish you luck, having suffered eating disorders on and off for over 2 decades, with some longish periods of remission, but your profile image is enough to put me off adding you, It is not suggestive of someone who is striving for health and recovery, as opposed to being thin.
  • MiCool90
    MiCool90 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I've been using mfp for a few months now, but i'm new to the community section. Looking for new friends- anorexic, bulimic, EDNOS people add please as I know trying to get healthy and lose weight in a healthy way with people who can relate to you is a huge help for me since we tend to have more of the same thoughts/ problems!

I am not promoting an eatingdisorder or trying to have one. I already have one- im trying to get better and lose weight in a healthy way by eating 1,200 calories/day so please dont bother replying if you're going to criticize someone for having a disorder.

I would actually suggest not adding any members with recovering eating disorders... I have witnessed how other members relapses could cause you to as well... surround yourself with others that eat correctly and are not recovering ED's
  • PaperThinLips
    PaperThinLips Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    recovering from an ED.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

I would actually suggest not adding any members with recovering eating disorders... I have witnessed how other members relapses could cause you to as well... surround yourself with others that eat correctly and are not recovering ED's

^ This! If you want to learn the healthy way to eat surround yourself with healthy people. Makes sense.
  • ElizabethMKE
    ElizabethMKE Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I too am in recovery for bulimia/anorexia/compulsive overeating, and from all my meds/refeeding/not purging have gained quite a bit of weight. I'm also trying to loose weight, for the first time in my life, in healthy way. My dietitian has me on a 2,200 a day caloric intake, but this includes 3-4 fruits (180-400 calories) and 4-6 veggies (65-300 calories). Keep in mind these are good/water-like calories. So I don't sweat those. It's the grains I have problems with. I just try to stick with my meal plan and not overdue my exercise and I know I can stay compliant. Easier said than done, I know. I'm 33 and have had an eating disorder since I was 11. Also, I'd ditch the scale right now, depending on where you are in recovery. It's not helpful and will just trigger you. I'll put mine away for the month of November if you will!!! <3 Elizabeth
  • ElizabethMKE
    ElizabethMKE Posts: 16 Member
    Options

^ This! If you want to learn the healthy way to eat surround yourself with healthy people. Makes sense.

GREAT ADVICE!!! Thank you!
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Well if you have an eating disorder I think addressing those issues require a break from your weight loss goal. Id recommend proceeding with recovery before you go down this path at all.

this!! Forget about losing weight for now..try and develop a normal relationship with food for starters where you are not binging/restricting.If you can continue this for 5-6 months..maybe then you can shift your focus on losing weight the healthy way :)
  • tinyplease123
    Options
    Its nice that strangers are trying to look out for someone they don't even know! :) But I've been told by doctors and health professionals that just because you have struggled with an ED doesn't mean you cant try to lose weight, you just have to be careful doing it, which I am. And I dont think other people with eating disorders being my friend triggers me, it helps me because I can relate to them. I have a lot of weird issues with food that most normal people, who are overweight and just want to lose some weight, think are nuts and have no idea what im talking about or where this anxiety is coming from, so for me, its just helpful to be friends with people who understand something like me having a panic attack walking into a mcdonalds, then eating a carton of icecream two days later. most non-ed people would just think im absolutely nuts.
  • spikefoot
    Options
    So we don't add friends who are/were obese cause they will cause us "overeaters" to relapse then? 1200 cals a day is pretty easy to do and feel good if you make healthy choices and aren't very active. All the best with your search tinyplease... :)

1500 and more activity was the sweet spot for me but I have done the 1200 thing with good results.
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I wish you the best in your recovery and I hope this site helps you to do so.

Just eat clean, exercise and be happy with who you are.

That is the most important thing.... self-acceptance.

There are a lot of great people here... just make sure to mix up what you eat so you are getting the nutrients you need to keep your engine going.

And if people mistreat you on the board for trying to recover from this, just report them and block them so you don't have to see their words. You don't need negativity to launch you back to where you were before.

Good luck..... :)
  • amandajam2012
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I'm pretty sure I used to have an EDNos although back then I really didnt know there was a term for it. I used to be super thin (I was 5'7" and I only weighed 118) and I thought I was fat. I would go days at time not eating or eating very little and I feared getting fat. I started college and over the past 5 years have gained quite a bit of weight. So now I'm trying to loose weight with a healthy goal. I look back at my old pictures now and realized that I did not look good back then bc I was so thin. I'm hoping to find a happy medium.
  • tinyplease123
    Options
    I just realized I may have sounded like something I didnt mean...
    I dont mean I want to ONLY be friends with people who are struggling with eating disorders or recovery, I just wanted to find some people like me. But I want to be friends with anyone actively participating in the site so by all means feel free to add!

And good luck Amanda. Congratulations on trying to do it the healthy way :)
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I struggled with eating disorders for around 5 years when I was in the throes of everything. That's the time I distinctly remember everyone being concerned about me and I was aloof about the whole thing. Fast forward 4 years and I'm not in that zone anymore but trying to lose weight the healthy way, like yourself. 1200 sounds do-able to me to start with, you can adjust things as you see fit and feels right. I refuse to own a set of weighing scales as I know I'd get obsessive about it again, so for me that's a big no-no. I use my clothes and how I feel as a comparison!

Good on you for making this effort and being open and honest about things - a lot of people don't or try to cover things up. Feel free to friend me :)

Heather