Is anyone else tired after exercise?

Options
So maybe this is just me or my lack of knowledge, but I am always tired after I exercise.

I always would hear people say how much energy they had after exercising and how great they felt, but I don't feel that way. Don't get me wrong mentally I feel proud of myself that I did it (I am not a particular fan of exercise but I know I have to do it) but I am always tired and don't feel like I have much energy.

I have been exercising 6 days a week doing either the elliptical or speed walking for the past 2-3 months.

Is there something I am missing?

Replies

• athryn
    athryn Posts: 59
    Options
    It depends on the exercise for me. When I go walking in the mornings, it wakes me up, but when I first was doing it it would tire me out. Elliptical tires me but also wakes me up, and hiking can totally exhaust me. Sometimes it has to do with how hard you're pushing yourself. It also could depend on when you last ate, if you're exercising heavily without adding a little trickle back of energy, it can sap your resources and tire you out.
  • NewMnky1
    NewMnky1 Posts: 264
    Options
    Ok, so at least I am not crazy. LOL.
    During the week days I work out as soon as I get home from work, so probably running low on energy (food), but on the weekends I always have my morning shake first and still feel tired.
    I am on a very low calorie diet right now (monitored by my Dr) so perhaps this will change once the low calorie diet is completed by the end of Nov.
    Thanks.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Me. I have to push myself through any form of exercise but this has only been in the last couple of years. I have underlying health problems that cause this state for me.
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    It's ok. It's normal and shows you're working hard. Especially as you're on such a low energy diet! You're doing very well. For me, sometimes exercise makes me feel energised sometimes i'm just tired after.
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I was actually just googling this the other day, after my work out it's every thing I have not to pass out on the couch. I'm not sure if this will change with time or not, but from my searches it seems like it varies more with different people more than diet.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I find that Having protien after a workout really helps. You can either do a shake, bar, or some protien packed foods. I wasn't good for Nything the rest of the day when I worked out before u had protien shakes after. Now that really helps my body recover and I feel like my normal self after a workout.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The low calories (and presumably low carb) diet is the most likely culprit. Just like your car exercise takes fuel, if your glycogen stores (the primary source of fuel for cardio) are low you'll feel it.