fell down the stairs yesterday holding my toddler

Options
Luckily she is completely unhurt. I was carrying her down our front steps and my feet slipped out from under me at the top, I landed at the bottom, about 8 steps down. I guess mother instincts kicked in because I managed to take all the impact to my back and had her land on me. I spent the day in the emergency room, had numerous xrays and luckily I just have soft tissue damage. My back and butt are black and blue!
I'm frustrated that I can't work out for a few weeks, and I can barely move right now. I was seeing really good results with walk/running on the treadmill and doing the 30 day shred. I hope I can stay motivated

Replies

• HealthylivingTIG
    HealthylivingTIG Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    OMG. I am so sorry to hear this BUT very thankful your baby is unharmed. The bruises will heal over time, and you will be just fine. Give your body time to heal...DO NOT over do it as this will delay the healing process. Take care of yourself.
  • schell81
    schell81 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say that it was one of the scariest moments of my life
  • tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    OMG that must have been awful, glad the wee one is ok, hope your bruises mend soon!
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I fell with my toddler one time, outside on the concrete. And just like you, maternal instincts, I in no way shape or form let go of him to try and brace myself, so my body took the entire impact. I was bruised and sore for a couple of weeks, baby was thank fully ok though! Just watch what you eat, especially since you won't be moving around much, and don't get back to working out too quickly! Hope you feel better soon.
  • lynnw24
    lynnw24 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Isn't it amazing how a mother's instinct works? I fell with a baby I was caring for years ago. I think I was like 13 years old and I had those instincts then. I tripped on the sidewalk holding a 6 month old and when I landed, somehow I lifted her in the air. She didn't even touch the ground!! I am soo glad you are going to be okay and happy your child wasn't injured!! Your journey of exercise is on hold for right now but you'll be back in no time. Just take it easy! Sending positive healing thoughts your way!!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    That's some scary stuff!

Just focus on hitting your nutrition goals this week and give yourself time to heal.
  • prairiedawg2014
    Options
    omg! iam so sorry for you! you are also very lucky baby was unhurt and that you didn't break anything.
    i'd say ur guardian angel helped out on that one. just take it slow and easy til you are healed.
    take care!
  • SofaKingRad_
    Options
    CPS notified.

(kidding).
  • Thank God your baby is OK. How horrible for you, though.
  • prairiedawg2014
    Options
    PS. ur baby is absolutely gorgeous!!
  • rbjd2004
    Options
    Agh!! That must have been so scary. I'm glad the baby is okay and that you didn't suffer anything more serious. Treat yourself well during the healing process!
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    You are so lucky! Both of you are! Take it slow when the doctor says that you can start exercising again. You may want to look at swimming until you are fully healed. The water is a great way to take the pressure off of your joints and muscles.
  • jencyjoan
    Options
    She is so beautiful!! That should be all the motivation you will need to get back on track. A healthy life for you that she can emulate as she grows older. Thank heavens she wasn't harmed and you will heal in time!:smile:
  • berry83sweet
    berry83sweet Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hold the railing. I never did until I fell on top of my pom. He yelped and yelped. I felt sooooo bad. It was just a freak thing. Luckily he wasn't hurt, just scared. I didn't land directly on him. I always use railings now lol
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    that is scary thank goodness you both are safe. some bumps and brusis will heal fine in a few days. just be thank full for not breaking anything
  • AmiC0717
    AmiC0717 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Honestly I know it's happend to me and to my friends as well. Don't be hard on yourself these things do happen and now you are going to be even more careful :) Take time to heal and spend some extra quality time with your family. HUGS!
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I can only imagine your fear here. Thankfully she wasn't injured and you are dealing with just bruises. Mind you bruises hurt, and your gonna be sore for several days. Advice from a medical person, the more you move around the quicker the soreness will disappear. It's hard and it hurts, but in the long run it helps. Feel better soon,,,
  • AyaKara
    AyaKara Posts: 220
    Options
    You can stay motivated! Use that experience as inspiration for you & your daughter's lives. You guys are both unscathed (for the most part). Start off gently with walking & contracting different muscles (while stationary), & once you're healed, make your way back into it. You can do the 30 DS again, don't fret! :)
  • linzisparkles
    linzisparkles Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    How scary! Hopefully you can be back on you feet again soon but don't be in a rush to get back in the gym!
  • sumer_13
    sumer_13 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Glad your baby is ok! You have a beautiful baby..