lifting heavy question

Options
How do I know that I am lifting heavy enough ? Should I be sweating while lifting ? should I be sore the next day ? Thanks

Replies

• BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    Usually as long as it's still relatively hard to finish out your last set and reps, and you are moderately sore the next day you're doing ok. If you aren't sore I would add some more weight. Sweating isn't necessarily a sign. Sometimes I don't sweat at the gym because they keep it so cold and have such huge fans it's impossible!
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Usually for me, I know I'm lifting heavy enough when my last rep or two are extremely difficult, and soreness the next day is a good indicator, though not always present.
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    How do I know that I am lifting heavy enough ? Should I be sweating while lifting ? should I be sore the next day ? Thanks

'heavy' is traditionally defined as 80% of your one rep max. This is approximately the weight you can lift no more than 6 to 8 reps before failure. If you are lifting, say, 12 to 15 reps, then you are not training heavy. Example: lifting 3 sets of 5 reps at your 5 rep max.

Don't rely on soreness or sweating as indicators. You will get used to the work and stop being sore. You won't always sweat.
  • Sick_Beard
    Sick_Beard Posts: 407 Member
    Options

'heavy' is traditionally defined as 80% of your one rep max. This is approximately the weight you can lift no more than 6 to 8 reps before failure. If you are lifting, say, 12 to 15 reps, then you are not training heavy. Example: lifting 3 sets of 5 reps at your 5 rep max.

Don't rely on soreness or sweating as indicators. You will get used to the work and stop being sore. You won't always sweat.

Legit advice right there^ OP
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    By the last rep on the last set, I'm swearing under my breath like a drunken sailor. Sometimes I'm swearing on top of my breath, too.

Sometimes I'm sore the next day, sometimes I'm not.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

What I was going to say.
    Well done.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    That's interesting.. When I just started lifting I was unbelievably sore for the first two-three weeks, but since then I haven't been sore at all, though I lift heavier than before. I thought your muscles were supposed to "adjust" and not be sore after several weeks regardless?
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    That's interesting.. When I just started lifting I was unbelievably sore for the first two-three weeks, but since then I haven't been sore at all, though I lift heavier than before. I thought your muscles were supposed to "adjust" and not be sore after several weeks regardless?

I definitely have noticed diminished soreness in general with exercise, but every time I bump up the weights, it comes back to an extent too! I think it depends a lot on our bodies though - I think some people are more likely / experience more of that residual muscle soreness than others.
  • astheygrowup
    astheygrowup Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I agree. If I can easily get through say 8 reps and feel I could keep going then I know I'm not lifting heavy enough. Soreness I wouldn't rely on that. once I get used to a specific exercise or movement the soreness isn't always there. It's when I mix it up that the soreness comes back.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    If rep 4-5 is difficult.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    You'll know. If you lift a weight and think : Was this heavy?
    No.

IF you lift a weight, and bile creeps up the back of your throat while the cappilaries in your eyes start breaking. You won't have to ask.
  • gredavis
    Options
    LMAO!!!!!!
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    You'll know. If you lift a weight and think : Was this heavy?
    No.

IF you lift a weight, and bile creeps up the back of your throat while the cappilaries in your eyes start breaking. You won't have to ask.

Friday doing deadlifts I saw veins in my neck i had never seen
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    when you can only do 5 reps (or less) of a certain weight, you are lifting heavy.
  • holeshottdr
    holeshottdr Posts: 364 Member
    Options

^^ 100% this^^