How to get over shyness?

Options
Hey all..so Monday im starting a job where im going to be out in the public..dealing with people all day...I was a shy child..im 22 now && im still shy but not that bad but i need to suck it up and make small talk with strangers and its kinda hard for me..what do you even say?? lol..but im not as bad as i used to be..so im wondering does anyone have some tips or advice of getting over being shy?

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Fake it 'til you make it.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    just smile when somebody makes eye contact. it's the universal sign for "i'm not a shark, i'm not going to bite you if you try to talk to me". if you do that, they'll be the ones who initiate the small talk... but a smile always works. even if you don't talk, they'll still leave with a good first impression of you.
  • miketheman79
    Options
    We all want people To like us, so we tend to hold back our true self. All I can say is be yourself! Have a good attitude and be above people and problems.
  • Peezy4President
    Peezy4President Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I was kinda shy, then i got a job as a car salesman, so i had to walk up to strangers and try to talk them into buying a car. I just smiled and made jokes, after you get a person laughing or in a light hearted mood they are easier to talk to. Just think to yourself "**** it" and just walk up and chat. I worst the can say is no.
  • starrisonmclennon
    starrisonmclennon Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    just think I have to talk to people, what am I afraid of? and eventually you'll get used to it
  • diligentjosh
    Options
    Hey all..so Monday im starting a job where im going to be out in the public..dealing with people all day...I was a shy child..im 22 now && im still shy but not that bad but i need to suck it up and make small talk with strangers and its kinda hard for me..what do you even say?? lol..but im not as bad as i used to be..so im wondering does anyone have some tips or advice of getting over being shy?

What is this job? Salesman? Surveyer? As for myself, I will never sell anything. Ever again. I suck as a salesman. I cannot whip up a conversation outta thin air. I do not have that charisma. They say that sales is not about the product, it is about selling yourself and striking a chord with the buyer so that it creates rapport and trust between you. Once you have that, the rest is history. Go buy a car, and see what they talk about first, the car or the family?

Of course, it should be noted that you will be whoever you need to in order for them to trust you. If you have to be a family man, you have a wallet picture with 6 kids. If you have to be a playboy, you have a picture in there with your buds out on the town in Vegas. Just know your ABCs, is what I was told.
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options

I am a very shy person too, but when in work mode, I just take a deep breath and go for it ..
    look at these "Strangers" as friends you haven't seen in a while ...

I joke with my customers .. I am a walmart cashier and let me tell you, it is better when you get the customers laughing, cuz most of them come to the registers mad at us for 1. long lines (call management cuz they aren't scheduling enough cashiers, 2. items are mispriced or not stocked (I don't stock nor price) .. but since I try to make them laugh, they leave in a lot better mood, and I noticed I have return customers who come to my line and even when just seeing me in the store (even in my casual clothes) they speak to me ..
  • xoAmyxo
    xoAmyxo Posts: 110
    Options
    thanks all..this is good advice..i hope i can do it..I KNOW i can.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options

Haven't read all the other posts, this is what I was going to write!

I was a shy child and shy into my mid teens, til it dawned on me that I was missing out! So I pretended I wasn't shy & learned not to be. Life's much better in all sorts of ways if you can just think "I'll go for it & so what if anyone looks at me". Smile & start the conversation, speak up, make the move, whatever is required.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I used to be shy....I mean literally to a point where I would look at the floor rather then talking to people :grumble: . But once I became a sports correspondent and had to start going up to people and interviewing them, it was like "Come on Angie, you can do this!" Almost 2 years later of taking the job, I no have no problem talking to people. Its the weirdest thing.

What helped me the most was saying to myself "You can do this, you can do this, just believe". :bigsmile:
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Tips -
    Smile
    Be interested in the other person
    There's always something you can say - "Hello" or "hi" is a good start :-)
    Practice makes it easier
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    take a breath.Grow some ladyballs and just do it..
    people arnt scary! well, this is coming from someone who loves to talk...lol

[sidenote] It might be easier if at your job, you know what your talking about,learn ALL aspects of your job so you can pretty much help everyone! [working at a golf proshop and knowing NOTHING about golf has tought me alot..i now know golf,to bad i suck at playing.]
  • Crookey21
    Crookey21 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    be the first to greet and same something about what your doing. its easier when you talk about what you know.
  • Bdmiller42
    Options
    just smile and be polite try not to worry about it