I eat even when I'm full? How can I control my appetite??

Options
So basically I eat when I'm hungry. And I also eat when I'm not hungry. So I'm constantly eating. My appetite is HUGE, like just now I had breakfast and an hour later I was still full. But I ate a rice cake, cup of soymilk, half a banana, cup of that metamucil stuff, some grapes, a teaspoon of chocolate hazelnut butter, and a sesame cookie. Oh my gosh. And now I feel bloated and gross D: How can I keep myself from doing this?? Negative comments aren't helpful, I'm just asking for advice here. Thanks :)

Replies

• JohnnyKitty
    JohnnyKitty Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Not to mention I had some Greek yogurt with wheat germ as well!
  • michelle_w_04
    michelle_w_04 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    In these instances I find something to do. Go for a walk, do laundry, clean, etc. Anything that can keep me busy for awhile. This usually helps because when I eat and I'm not hungry it's usually from boredom.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    In these instances I find something to do. Go for a walk, do laundry, clean, etc. Anything that can keep me busy for awhile. This usually helps because when I eat and I'm not hungry it's usually from boredom.

I second this!
  • JohnnyKitty
    Options

Awesome, thanks! I notice that usually helps me. I just have to find the willpower to get out of the kitchen and do something hahaha
  • bedoozled
    bedoozled Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Finding something to do is great, or sometimes I just make tea (or whatever suits your fancy) - just a low to zero calorie alternative that lets me feel like I'm getting something! Drinking lots of water can really help to curb appetite in general, but sometimes I find that it's not enough to curb the mental appetite, so something like tea can help with that :) But also, based on your pictures where you look plenty slim, and considering the things you're eating are pretty healthy sounding, I wouldn't worry too much!
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    So basically I eat when I'm hungry. And I also eat when I'm not hungry. So I'm constantly eating. My appetite is HUGE, like just now I had breakfast and an hour later I was still full. But I ate a rice cake, cup of soymilk, half a banana, cup of that metamucil stuff, some grapes, a teaspoon of chocolate hazelnut butter, and a sesame cookie. Oh my gosh. And now I feel bloated and gross D: How can I keep myself from doing this?? Negative comments aren't helpful, I'm just asking for advice here. Thanks :)

1. You're only 18 years old. It's possible that you need more food because your lifestyle is more active.

2. Your profile says you are a competitive athlete and you work out twice a day. If you are an athlete, you need more fuel than those of us who are not.

3. You may be eating the wrong types of food. Eat foods with a higher fiber and protein content, complex carbs, etc.

My view is that you are not eating enough for your age, level of activity and the foods you eat are not the kind that fill you up and provide sustained energy.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've been there. The only thing that works for me, is finding a distraction, preferably something that gets me far from the kitchen and keeps my hands busy
  • LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    You might be addicted to chewing, try chewing gum and drinking water and I agree do activities away from food sources. Its not your appetite that is out of control its just lack of self control. It can be worked on and reversed.
  • gothicfires
    gothicfires Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I find that timing my meals helps me. If i get the urge to eat and I know its only an hour before my next meal time then it is easier to wait it out. I also spread my calories out over 5 little meals. So I eat about every 3 hours.

edited to add: I agree with the chewing gum too. I am always in a constant supply. I found it also kills the desire for desert after meals because it allows me the different flavor my mouth is searching for.
  • JohnnyKitty
    Options
    Finding something to do is great, or sometimes I just make tea (or whatever suits your fancy) - just a low to zero calorie alternative that lets me feel like I'm getting something! Drinking lots of water can really help to curb appetite in general, but sometimes I find that it's not enough to curb the mental appetite, so something like tea can help with that :) But also, based on your pictures where you look plenty slim, and considering the things you're eating are pretty healthy sounding, I wouldn't worry too much!

I'll try making tea, that usually curbs my appetite :) and thanks!
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I can tell you why you're hungry - you're starving yourself. YOUR DAILY GOAL IS 600 CALORIES.

You're not doing yourself any favors eating that little.
  • JohnnyKitty
    Options
    I can tell you why you're hungry - you're starving yourself. YOUR DAILY GOAL IS 600 CALORIES.

You're not doing yourself any favors eating that little.

But I'm never hungry when I eat that much.
    Like I said earlier, I'm not hungry, I'm actually full, and I still continue to eat!
  • freeasharold
    freeasharold Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Just took a glance at your profile, have you talked to anyone about your negative feelings about your body? You are very slim and look beautiful! Especially if you are an athlete who works out twice a day, you should be eating something like 2,000 calories, not 900! You are also still young, and your brain is still developing. You need to fuel your body. Good luck.
  • 34000volts
    34000volts Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If I am active for several days above normal and I don't eat back any calories I tend to feel weak. My normal meal times and amounts may fill me but I still desire food and have a hard time controlling my apitite. Generally I wish I would not have given in and eaten more but I normally feel better body wise. My advise is to try to stay closer to your daily calorie goals including the extra eat back calories. ( maybe just some of them). Eating extra by planning to is better than fighting urges from your body then feeling guilty from the idea of binge eating. If your calorie deficit is more than 500-1,000 calories daily you can have a full stomach and still feel like eating. It's normal!
  • JohnnyKitty
    Options
    If I am active for several days above normal and I don't eat back any calories I tend to feel weak. My normal meal times and amounts may fill me but I still desire food and have a hard time controlling my apitite. Generally I wish I would not have given in and eaten more but I normally feel better body wise. My advise is to try to stay closer to your daily calorie goals including the extra eat back calories. ( maybe just some of them). Eating extra by planning to is better than fighting urges from your body then feeling guilty from the idea of binge eating. If your calorie deficit is more than 500-1,000 calories daily you can have a full stomach and still feel like eating. It's normal!

I guess it's good knowing it's normal that I may feel like eating even if I'm not hungry xD haha thanks :)
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Honey, you are not eating enough, this is why you're eating. It really is that simple. Your mind may be able to tell you that you're not hungry or you think you're full but your body is crying out for food. You need more protein, especially if you're working out. Your body is already very slim going off the pics, so I would guess that all you need really is to tone a bit. Please eat more food.
  • helloburger
    helloburger Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    when you say that you continue to eat when you are full... i think what really is happening your are trying to convince yourself in your head that you are full, when infact you are not
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Honey, you are not eating enough, this is why you're eating. It really is that simple. Your mind may be able to tell you that you're not hungry or you think you're full but your body is crying out for food. You need more protein, especially if you're working out. Your body is already very slim going off the pics, so I would guess that all you need really is to tone a bit. Please eat more food.

Second this. Your goal is only 600 calories a day. That is not enough food for anyone. Eat more protien, fruits and vegies. You will feel better, perform better, and be healthier.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I do intermittent fasting so I'm completely turned off by food before my feeding time now that I'm used to it. I cook all the time for other people during the day, but I have zero interest in eating it. I start to get hungry around 6pm and I eat from 7pm-11pm. You might want to try some sort of IF. It prevents overeating because you only have a set window of time when you can eat. Added bonus, fasted work outs are the best. I can get my heart rate up so much quicker.
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    This is actually worrying, you're tiny, your intake is so low and you believe you need to lose weight. I'm not a doctor, but I have anorexia and I was you once a upon a time, have you spoken to anyone about this? Do you have 'safe' foods and 'unsafe' foods? When you eat, do you feel guilty for eating? Like I said, I'm not trained in this area but I have experience with anorexia and I wouldn't want to see someone going down this path, it can be stopped before it gets alot worse xxx