Should you exercise when you have a cold?

leedazzer
leedazzer Posts: 2
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I have a cold and don't feel like exercising, which I feel guilty about. I'm still managing to track my calories but the achiness, sore throat etc are making me feel lousy.

Should I push myself to exercise, or not?

Replies

• gfcyclistjogger
    gfcyclistjogger Posts: 5 Member
    Non-doctor opinion. No medical training beyond having my mother yell at me to drink my fluids while ill:

Your body is working overtime fighting illness through your immune system. You should rest so your body can focus on it's number one priority.
  • Thanks so much for that. You reminded me of my Mum always saying, "plenty of hot drinks" when I have a cold. It's just I'm so wrapped up in this weight loss thing I lost sight of reality for a mo!

By the way, I'm not "leedazzer", I'm "lotter", didn't realise my hubby was still logged on when I switched on first thing.

Off to pick my son and his friend up from nursery now, they'll provide all the exercise I need for today. :laugh:
  • MissMouse85
    MissMouse85 Posts: 38 Member
    Here's what my Doctor always told me:

If it's above the chest (sore throat, stuffy nose, sneezing, etc.) than you are safe to workout... and it may even help you feel better!

If it's IN your chest (coughing, wheezing, mucous, etc.) then you should take it easy until you are able to breathe well again. Rest, or just go for a stroll.

Just my two cents, and either way-- I hope you feel better soon!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    I had bronchities a couple of weeks ago. I took off exercise while it was still in my chest but resumed it slowly about 3-4 days later. The first time I did it, I had a coughing fit or two but I made it through. I boiled water on the stove to make the room humid and drank lots of water. If you feel terrible, don't exercise. When you start to feel a little better, just start slowly and stop if it gives you trouble.
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Skinny is right...collar bone test...above your collar bone, go right ahead...below the collar bone, get back in bed.
This discussion has been closed.