Splurge Day?

Options
So my boyfriend and I walk two miles to church om sundays. We stop for breakfast, and then in the afternoon usually pal around town on foot before heading two miles home again.

Because of this, Sunday is usually my splurge day. I have a breakfast sandwich with extra bacon and coffee. The extra walking and activity usually keeps me under my calorie limit for the day, but I still consume far more calories on this day of the week - 1200 to 1600 on weekdays as compared to 2200 on Sundays.

Does this kind of splurge mess up my metabolism, even if I stay under my calorie limit? Will it prevent me from consistent weight loss?

Does anyone else have a splurge day? How often?

Replies

• kayesmom
    Options
    I have a splurge day (saturday) where, while I dont eat EVERYTHING in sight, i definitely dont eat like the rest of the week.
    There are those that say that a splurge day (if controlled) is a good thing.
    I need it for my mental health.
    I say dont worry about it with all the extra activity that you have.
  • diligentjosh
    Options
    What is life without splurge days? Take two steps forward, and then purposely take one step back. This saves personal sanity and the sanctity of life itself, in my opinion. The best tasting food in the world is also often the most unhealthy. If we take our minds back to eat on a rewards system, like we were trained on as kids ("you wont have any cake until all them green beans are gone!"), then we can eat better and see the benefit. But in my mind. I think it is okay to lose some weight, and then gain some back, in about a 4:1 ratio. If you lose 8 lbs, it should be perfectly okay to gain back 2 on a weekend. Thats what I did!

I think after I hit my goal(s) for November, I will dive into some Panda Express for some orange chicken!

yesterday was popcorn, soda and movie day. My reward for not smoking!
  • gothicfires
    gothicfires Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I don't think a splurge day is a good idea. Perhaps a splurge meal or taking a reasonable day off every once in a while as a relief is ok. I had one yesterday. But I didn't do it as a reward. While you might not screw up your metabolism eating a little more one day a week. It makes it easier down the road to justify eating a little more here 'because I did this'. Being healthier should be the reward.

If it seems too taxing the other 6 days to eat as little as you are. Eat a little more on those days but exercise a little more on those days so that You don't feel the need to reward yourself by eating.
  • kaylad8528
    kaylad8528 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I don't really like the idea of taking a step back, lol, but I totally understand the feeling. I feel fine splurging as long as I know I'm not really taking a step back (for example, if it were ruining my metabolism).

That being said, the reward for me isn't really in getting to eat crap one day of the week. I really love my progresso soup and my cream cheese bagel, those are good for me and also fun to eat. It doesn't feel taxing to eat well when I eat healthy things I like. Made some great sate chicken yesterday.. So, it's really more like... Splurge day is the day I don't have to police myself. Like I can relax.

Does that make sense? Haha..

I'm just worried relaxing might also be defeating me. :(
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I don't consider what you describe a splurge day. It sounds more like eating your exercise calories. If you don't usually walk and then you walk 4 miles, you are going to burn more calories. I eat more on exercise days, but I don't consider it a splurge.

I do think it's fine to have a splurge day or whatever you want to call it. I have a non-logging day every week or so. I quick add my calories and then eat whatever I want. I might not even eat over my calories on that day; it's more just nice to take a day off from thinking about every little thing I eat.

The healthiest people I know (not skinniest, but healthiest) aren't people who constantly deprive themselves. They aren't the people who won't eat Thanksgiving dinner or a slice of birthday cake. They are people who eat healthy meals 80-90% of the time and whatever else they want 10-20% of the time. Those are the people I wish to emulate -- people who have a healthy relationship with food on both a nutrition and a social level.
  • gothicfires
    gothicfires Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    It might not be defeating you, but it is definitely slowing you down. As long as you are happy then it's all good. Slow and steady will still get you where you want to go. It's not a race right? :)
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I don't consider what you describe a splurge day. It sounds more like eating your exercise calories. If you don't usually walk and then you walk 4 miles, you are going to burn more calories. I eat more on exercise days, but I don't consider it a splurge.

I do think it's fine to have a splurge day or whatever you want to call it. I have a non-logging day every week or so. I quick add my calories and then eat whatever I want. I might not even eat over my calories on that day; it's more just nice to take a day off from thinking about every little thing I eat.

The healthiest people I know (not skinniest, but healthiest) aren't people who constantly deprive themselves. They aren't the people who won't eat Thanksgiving dinner or a slice of birthday cake. They are people who eat healthy meals 80-90% of the time and whatever else they want 10-20% of the time. Those are the people I wish to emulate -- people who have a healthy relationship with food on both a nutrition and a social level.

THIS!
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I have splurge days either Fridays or Saturdays, and it seems to work well. This coincides usually with date night with my husband or parties with friends.

I also believe it gives your metabolism a jump start. However, regardless of going over my calorie limit, I make sure to get good food in me 7 days a week / 365 days a year, and this includes several servings of unprocessed veggies and fruits.

I don't think it wrecks your progress at all, and has many benefits, including allowing you to not feel deprived, making it easier to stick with in the long term.