Admit It: We Are All Crazy!!

Options
I wanted to start this thread by saying I have a mental illness. I have Borderline Personality Disorder and suffer from severe depression. I also have bulimia and warped self-image. What do you have? Are you ashamed of living with a mental illness or eating disorder? If so, you shouldn't be!! We are not alone, and it's time to stand up and say, "YES! WE ARE WORTH IT!!" Just because we have these obstacles to overcome, doesn't mean we don't deserve it just as much as people who do not suffer from mental health problems. Let's admit what we have and join together to make our bodies and our lives healthy! Living in denial is a thing of the past! Who's with me?:drinker:

Replies

• savingkadee
    Options
    I too have mental illnesses, bipolar disorder, ptsd, and bulimia, the highs and lows of bipolar is a nightmare, but I'm not ashamed that I have these illnesses. They only make me a stronger person! We are deifinitely worth it, and recovery is worth it. I'm with you chickadee!
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    my heros i'm with yeah both
  • tdp575
    tdp575 Posts: 55
    Options
    I have Borderline personality disorder, Bipolar disorder, Obsessive compulsive disorder, and compulsive overeating. I'm not ashamed of them. We can have happy and healthy lives. The road to recovery may be far away and difficult to get to, but I'm more than willing to travel down that road and make it to the end....We will succeed =] .
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Humanity in general is nuts. I hope we remain confined to our planet/solar system just in case there is sane intelligent life out there. Wouldn't want us rampaging through the galaxy!
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I am perimenopausal. Any questions?
  • amylovescupcakes
    amylovescupcakes Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I am just a B word.
  • jessicayoung82
    jessicayoung82 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Ending one of the worst years of my life due to family issues with my mom. I probably should have sought out professional help, but instead I dove farther into diet and exercise and I am ending this year in the best shape of my adult life and somehow happier than ever. I know if I would have gone for help in March they would have put me on some sort of meds, and I didn't want that. Yes, I maybe crazy, but I have found my balance and I am thriving, not just surviving like I had been. Life can be good, you just have to work at it and find your stride. Everyone, stay happy and healthy!
  • LeighAnna115
    Options
    Haha I love this! I joke with my family all the time about what I call the "little miss sunshine effect". (Movie that came out in 2006 with steve carrell...) I'm the only diagnosed "crazy" person in the house yet I am by far the sanest. Funny enough is they all agree with this!

In my mind everyone is crazy, just not everyone has figured out what type of crazy they are yet... Or haven't admitted it :tongue:
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    OCD.

My other problems are in remission. I was anorexic, bulimic, foodaholic.

Right now, more then a little off my nut....OK, so I am perimenopausal. Ain't life Grand!?
  • Sarahcuda
    Options
    I have major depressive disorder and was, at one point, incorrectly diagnosed bi-polar.
    I also have dealt with an unhealthy relationship with food (haven't we all). I used food to gain weight to push people away... afterall who really wants to date the fat chick, or who wants to talk to or be friends with the fat girl. My layers of protection worked for a while until I realized that I wasn't living my life I was wasting it. I still have a long way to go, but I have made positive choices in my life and am happy to say that I haven't had a major depressive episode in months!
    I will find a way to be healthy and I will find a way to be HAPPY!
  • Sarahcuda
    Options
    Oh...I'm a middle school teacher.... crazy by default!

But honestly what is the alternative? Normal??? F%&$ that! Normal is boring! Plus crazy usually gets better drugs (just kidding! I am thankful to finally be off all anit-depresents and only on anti-anxiety once in a blue moon!)
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Anxiety & OCD. :drinker:
  • hypocritelecter
    hypocritelecter Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Haha I'll jump on the BPD train. I'm also diagnosed with EDNOS and anxiety (social and otherwise).
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Past bouts of major depression and compulsive overeater/binge eater. The incipient *****itude is on purpose. :laugh:
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Currently getting a degree in psychology and you are all job security.I'm not trying to make light of your situations though.
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I suffer from chronic depression. It took me years to accept that I had an illness and wasn't just lazy and/or melodramatic. I wish I had been able to accept it earlier; it would have saved me a lot of pain.

One thing I hate on MFP is when someone suggests that someone seek counseling and then someone else tells that person that they are "mean" for making that recommendation, or that they are being "extreme" for suggesting it. I wish we could think about mental illness in the same way as we think about physical illness -- as a medical problem, not a character flaw. I think we are closer to that then we once were, but we still have a ways to go.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I'm not crazy and the note (despite being written in red crayon) from my doctor proves it.

I have depression and am perimenopauseal.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I have Asperger's Syndrome and fought depression for a very long time. However, I am not insane. I've been tested multiple times. :P
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Edited because the quote I was responding to was deleted while I was posting.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different.
    If you distilled the 'average' person I certainly wouldn't like to be like them.

Definitely got an eating disorder, thus being on here, though not nearly as bad as some.

A bit further along the asperger's spectrum than some.