Eating during runs?

So, yesterday was my first double-digit training run ever - 10 miles~! I'm wondering, when do you start eating during runs? I definitely was crashing towards the end - I have a 10 mile race next week and I would really rather not bottom out again, but I've never eaten or drunk anything during training runs so I'm not sure how to go about it.

Replies

• Look out for running gels n ur local runnin shop. Id would defo recommend a running water bottle and fill it with water to see how u go. if u think u need something more then try some sports drinks in it too
  • If you didn't need it today you probably wont. However, you might pack some jelly beans as a just in case. If your speed or energy levels plummet then pop a few. Cheaper and tastier than gels.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    When I was half marathon training, I started training myself to eat while running whenever I planned to do over about 75 minutes. It's not that I need the nutrition for under 75 minutes, but learning to eat and digest while running is part of racing imo. I'd start 30 minutes in with 1 chew (I like honey stingers) every 10 minutes or so. After about 90 minutes it might be 2 at a time if I need it. I'd max out one package for 2 hours (10 chews). You have to consume the chews, gels etc. with water though... or you can choose to use electrolyte drinks instead and ditch the chews/gels.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    I don't eat or drink during runs but I've never done more then 10 miles, so perhaps if I were running more I would need to. Honestly i don't feel the least bit hungry when I run since my body is focused on metabolic processes or whatever (It's been too long since I took Anatomy lol) but I don't really know that you need to eat during a run unless you're doing something like a Marathon which will take a few hours.

Maybe eat something with slow burning carbs like pasta or my personal favorite is a cliff bar several hours before I go running. I find cliff bars give me a lot of energy but they're carb heavy and not all that healthy.

I guess if you absolutely need something you could do a banana but I'd assume something too heavy would cause stomach problems...honestly I don't think most people, even those who run longer distances eat during their run, maybe a good meal before and a nice big one after but during I think would personally slow me down but probably other people too.

And I think 10 miles while it IS a lot only really takes like an hour or maybe a little more depending on your speed so there's really no need to eat during a 10 mile run,, if you're feeling hungry maybe just try and make sure your body has enough fuel BEFORE you go out.

Congrnats on the 10 miles btw!
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    It is recommended that you consume 100 calories after the first 45 min, then 100 calories every hour after that. Look into Shock Blocks made by Clif, I prefer them more than the gels. I ran my half marathon just packing two packs of Shock Blocks along (only ended up eating 1-1.5 of them) and then drinking at every station, usually 2 miles apart. If anything I would say my hydration was a bigger issue than energy. I also don't think I drank enough the morning of the race before I ran or the night before. Its usually a good idea to run your last long training run how you would run your race, including the fueling and hydration.
  • BrookeBQ
    BrookeBQ Posts: 163 Member
    When I ran half marathons, I would bring 4 gels with me. My dad would run a whole marathon with 4 gels, but he was in better shape. We used runner's waist-band things that let you hold little bottles of water and running gels. Taking too many would make me feel sick, but I took at least 2, at strategic times. I didn't eat anything else. Before the run we had a banana and fruit juice, the night before we had a huge bowl of pasta, and at the end of the run I have chocolate milk and my dad always has a coca cola. But I never really eat throughout, otherwise... makes me feel sick.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    I don't eat or drink during runs but I've never done more then 10 miles, so perhaps if I were running more I would need to. Honestly i don't feel the least bit hungry when I run since my body is focused on metabolic processes or whatever (It's been too long since I took Anatomy lol) but I don't really know that you need to eat during a run unless you're doing something like a Marathon which will take a few hours.

Maybe eat something with slow burning carbs like pasta or my personal favorite is a cliff bar several hours before I go running. I find cliff bars give me a lot of energy but they're carb heavy and not all that healthy.

I guess if you absolutely need something you could do a banana but I'd assume something too heavy would cause stomach problems...honestly I don't think most people, even those who run longer distances eat during their run, maybe a good meal before and a nice big one after but during I think would personally slow me down but probably other people too.

And I think 10 miles while it IS a lot only really takes like an hour or maybe a little more depending on your speed so there's really no need to eat during a 10 mile run,, if you're feeling hungry maybe just try and make sure your body has enough fuel BEFORE you go out.

Congrnats on the 10 miles btw!

My 10 mile was a chunk over 2 hours lol, I'm a slow runner :) But thank you, I'm still super proud!

Thank you all for the input! I think maybe the jelly beans or something similar is a good way to go - something tiny so it's not going to mess with my stomach but with some sugar for an energy pop. I'll have to look into the gels, I can't use them for this upcoming race since I haven't eaten them before but I will definitely look into them going forward.

Hydration isn't an issue for me - I really can't drink during runs, but I drink 8-12 glasses of water a day plus the occasional protein shake and/or glass of tea, so I depend on hydration outside the run. My stomach just feels super off with liquid during a run.
  • wicklc
    wicklc Posts: 70 Member
    When I was training for my marathon and got into higher miles I did- but I am type 1 diabetic so I kept a couple granola bars with me to keep my blood glucose levels up.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    So, yesterday was my first double-digit training run ever - 10 miles~! I'm wondering, when do you start eating during runs? I definitely was crashing towards the end - I have a 10 mile race next week and I would really rather not bottom out again, but I've never eaten or drunk anything during training runs so I'm not sure how to go about it.

Everyone is different. I didn't start needing to eat until I did ultra running. I don't need to eat during a marathon but a sports gel the last 6 miles with some caffeine in it works for me. I might try something like that halfway through the half marathon next time I do it.

Actually I ran 10 miles last week and didn't eat anything and felt great, so everyone is different. I think it might be more of just your body adjusting to the longer endurance and feeling weak from pushing yourself, and when you do that it always feels better to eat afterwards. Just do what works for you, experiment, try some things. I think those honey sticks sound good and I might try some.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Bump. Not even close yet to 10 miles, but this is good information.
  • rebeccap13
    Btw... sports gels ARE basically a form of eating. You're consuming calories. Gels are convenient because you don't have to chew really, blocks/chews are nice because they have a little bit more substance to them and sometimes are easier on an empty stomach. It doesn't really matter what form, that's personal preference, but I would recommend consuming some form of calories, probably carbs, during longer runs.
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    I've trained my body to eat while running for exactly the reason you posted. I preferred the gels cause they were quick and easy... I did the jelly beans - only problem when it's cold outside and you have to chew a lot, it will take longer than your walk break to get them down, plus you have to drink with the JB. BUT they are tasty! In my opinion, if you haven't needed or trained your body to ingest nutrition during your run, I wouldn't do it during a race as you're not sure how your stomach will react... If you're thinking about training and eating at the same time - I agree with the post where you need to eat at 40min... and then every hour after that... Waiting to "feel your energy peter out" is too late to ingest something...
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    I tend to stay away from the gels, they spike my blood sugar. For runs longer than 2 hours I will run with a bottle of low GI sports drink to keep the blood sugar stable. For runs further than 20 miles I will add a scoop of protein powder. You will have to experiment what works for you.
  • wow I did not know that you needed to do any of this!?! Im only up to 4 miles at a time now but am wanting to do a half marathon so I am going to start the research on this for sure and follow this post. thanks to those that posted your experiences for the rest of us!
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    I was wondering the same thing the other day. I saw that someone said you should eat 100 cals after 45 minutes - but what if the run is only going to be between 50 and 60 minutes?
  • rebeccap13
    You're probably going to be okay up to an hour or so. If you're running longer than an hour and you're feeling really beat down and worn out during the run, the next time you run bring along a little snack. Its not a science just listen to your body.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    I was wondering the same thing the other day. I saw that someone said you should eat 100 cals after 45 minutes - but what if the run is only going to be between 50 and 60 minutes?

I don't need any nutrition to run up to 90 minutes or so, but I can feel the sluggishness after that... especially if I've been eating at a deficit. But when I am planning to run 90 minutes or more (I did 3 events this summer that took 2-3 hours) I will start taking in calories around 30 minutes in. I also eat at TDEE for at least a week before an endurance event like that. Proper carb loading goes a long way towards keeping up your energy right through to the end too. I negative split my half marathon and got a new 10k PR for the first 10k and then beat it again in the 2nd 10k.