couch to 5k

Options
who has done it?
i can walk for hrs i even go for 6 hr tramps but this running thing is hard work.
Im starting today
any tips

Replies

• iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    done it, liked it :)

get good running shoes, and keep going no matter what.. it will get easier with time :)
  • meaustin1
    meaustin1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Just started it yesterday.
  • pinkgumdrop123
    pinkgumdrop123 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    im on W5 D2.

my advice would be to just stick with it :)

It has been a lot of fun and I am enjoying running :)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I've just finished week 6. I never thought I could run, but I did 26 non-stop minutes today! My tips would be:

-get fitted for proper running shoes that suit you
    -go slow, really slow... even slower than you think you should be going. Speed will come later, but to start with, it's all about endurance
    -try and learn to breathe properly early on. I was ready to give up right at the beginning, just because I couldn't sort my breathing out
    -don't let your brain convince you that you can't do it. Pace yourself, and pay attention to any potential injury, but often, when you just don't feel like it, you just need to push yourself to start and then you're fine
    -don't be discouraged if you have to alter the programme slightly to suit you, or if you have to repeat days. I've had to repeat a few days because I just wasn't ready, but amazingly, the days I thought I'd never be able to complete were so much easier than I expected
    -don't worry if you feel really unfit in the first couple of weeks; that should improve very quickly

There's a dedicated group forum here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

Enjoy! :)
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I've just finished week 6. I never thought I could run, but I did 26 non-stop minutes today! My tips would be:

-get fitted for proper running shoes that suit you
    -go slow, really slow... even slower than you think you should be going. Speed will come later, but to start with, it's all about endurance
    -try and learn to breathe properly early on. I was ready to give up right at the beginning, just because I couldn't sort my breathing out
    -don't let your brain convince you that you can't do it. Pace yourself, and pay attention to any potential injury, but often, when you just don't feel like it, you just need to push yourself to start and then you're fine
    -don't be discouraged if you have to alter the programme slightly to suit you, or if you have to repeat days. I've had to repeat a few days because I just wasn't ready, but amazingly, the days I thought I'd never be able to complete were so much easier than I expected
    -don't worry if you feel really unfit in the first couple of weeks; that should improve very quickly

There's a dedicated group forum here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

Enjoy! :)

I sooooo agree with OP.....I just finished my first 5k and as it coincides with week 6 day 2 I am counting it as such (even though I ran an extra 12 minutes and had an extra few minutes walk - I still did my C25K routine first during the run...LOL) Run slow, speed and longer stride will come later. Repeat a day or two or a whole week if you have to but it really helps to do the steps of the program as it conditions you. I have asthma and I am 51, always hated running when I was a teen and never thought I could run (and to enjoy it, or the way I feel after). Keep going, you will get there
  • nyjints
    Options
    I'm in the early stages (Week 2) of doing it.
  • Michaelsdin
    Options
    once i get a decent pair of running shoes to fit my body type i will be starting this trend, i walk everyday and have for the past month and a half but running just doesnt seem to want to come along. My legs become inflamed after about 30seconds of jogging, but I have a lot of weight on my legs....344lbs minus my leg weight itself lol.
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    hi did it beginning of the year, just getting over an op and going to do it again, I loved it. As everyone says good shoes, and stretching and take it easy, you'll get there in the end. Goodluck and remember its great feeling at the end so just do it :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Liked it so much, I did it twice! :laugh:

Once to learn how to run, and once to rehab myself back into running after a fractured fibula.
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Do it, love it, keep running. Sign up for a race so you have a goal. I agree with the whole running slowly thing. It'll change your life!
  • jesslynnstaggs
    Options
    Starting Couch to 5k!!
  • klyssamoore
    klyssamoore Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I finished it two weeks ago and signed up for a 10K (the race isn't until April) over the weekend. I'm giving myself a few more days of this 5K pace..and then it's back to training!