breathing while running

Options
any tips? I run in bursts of running combined with jogging and walking as needed as I am a new runner. My problem is about a mile and a half in I start to breathe heavy and wheeze a little. No known asthma or other breathing problems. Is there some way to work my breathing in better? in nose out mouth or something? any tips appreciated.

also stitches...I have been getting them since I doubled my running distance. I am doing a 6 mile trail and about halfway through I start getting stitches in my right side. I normally slow to a fast walk until it subsides, I don't stop completely, but I wonder if this is something I can prevent, will it get better with time or do I just need to learn to deal.

Replies

• nomsquared
    nomsquared Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    As your endurance builds, it will definitely get better with time!
  • cleorh
    cleorh Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You can get a stitch due to your breathing, I think the better your breathing become, you will get less stitches.
    Stitches Could also be due to eating to close to when you go running.
    Well done on becoming a new runner x x
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I had terrible stitches, and wheezing problems when doing C25K. I found the best remedy was to breath out, as far as you can, then a little more, til it feels like your lungs are going to collapse, then take a huge deep breath in. Do this a few times, to 'oxegen-load' you lungs. Also, in nose, out mouth doesn't work for me, I'm a total mouth breather when running :)
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Use the c25k program, it will get you where you want to be a lot faster than trying to do intervals by yourself. I finished it about 3 weeks ago and yesterday I ran for 60 minutes with no problem.

As far as breathing, discipline is very important. For me, I was breathing too much, too fast. I didn't need as much oxygen as I was trying to get. Slow, deep, easy breaths got me more oxygen and after a while I got used to it.
  • suenewberry81
    suenewberry81 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I used to have breathing problems and stitches, I used to only run 1 minuet and think I was dieing

I know run 25 minuets and I'm fine, I thnk everyone has a tough couple of minuets when they are running mine is when I get to about 5 minuets soon as I pass the 5 minuet mark I'm fine I can carry on running as normal,

Kept going at it you will get better, try and push through it

Xx
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Not sure if I am the ideal person to help you but...here goes!

I had similar problems when I was getting started in running. Turns out my breathing was simply too shallow for my needs. A friend helped me find a breathing rhythm by focusing on my footfalls... four counts in, four counts out. I keep my lips pursed a bit to allow air to come in through both nose and mouth.

Now, a word from some experts...
    "Most runners, says Solkin, are "chest breathers"-not "belly breathers." To help her clients see the difference, she has them run a mile at a pace that gets them huffing a bit. Then she has them stop and place one hand on their abdomen and one hand on their chest and watch. The lower hand should move with each breath, while the upper hand should remain relatively still (usually the opposite occurs). "Every time you breathe in, your belly should fill up like a balloon," says Solkin (see "Breathe Right"). "And every time you breathe out, that balloon should deflate. When you chest breathe, your shoulders get tense and move up and down. That's wasted energy-energy you should conserve for running.""
    ( http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--12989-0,00.html )

Hope this helps a little.
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    A tip I got from my friends on mfp is to make sure you are hydrated to avoid stitches. Seems to work.
    As for breathing, maybe you are starting too fast ? if you have an HRM set a limit of under, say 85% max HR, that should keep you working at a maintainable pace.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I had terrible stitches, and wheezing problems when doing C25K. I found the best remedy was to breath out, as far as you can, then a little more, til it feels like your lungs are going to collapse, then take a huge deep breath in. Do this a few times, to 'oxegen-load' you lungs. Also, in nose, out mouth doesn't work for me, I'm a total mouth breather when running :)

Gives the term "mouth-breather" a much better connotation! :laugh:
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Hey Lady :)

I have run off and on over the years (picking it back up recently). When I ran track in high school (eons ago), I used to get stitches and could not breathe right. I think it just comes over time, but what everyone else said is true too -- make sure you are hydrated and work on a breathing pattern. When I run now, I breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth, usually in a rhythm of 1-2 (counts in thru nose), 3....(out through mouth). The 3 lasts for 2 or 3 "counts" (usually the rhythm of my stride). I dunno. It works for me. I never get stitches and I think the breathing patten plays a big part.
  • whitelaurel
    whitelaurel Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I can't help with the stitches (I agree that making sure you're hydrated and breathing evenly seems to help!) -- But as far as breathing, from my personal experience (I'm not an expert), it really helps to develop a steady, even pace--and a steady, even breathing pattern to follow.

This might seem like common sense, but if you're like me and you blast music while you're running, you might not be as in-tune to your breathing and pace as you think. :) It really helped me when I turned off the music one day and just focused on the beat of my feet on the treadmill (for a few minutes, anyway. ;) Music saves me.) It was then easy to measure my breaths by my footfalls. I could only develop a steady breathing pattern once I found a pace that I could run steadily and comfortably at for an extended period of time. If you're running at a sporadic pace, it's harder to regulate your breathing, and easier to get short of breath or start wheezing. If you're doing extreme intervals, this might just come with the territory.

I really recommend just taking a few minutes to try and sync your pace and breathing. If it helps, count your footfalls and consciously breath at a constantly measured time. :) Somebody said they breath every 4 paces--Well, I jog a rather slow mile at an incline, and I measure about a single breath every two footfalls. (I think. If I remember, I'll pay closer attention tomorrow. :) Already got back from my jog today.)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Try running slower. I tend to do best if I can carry on a conversation... or at least mouth the words to the song I'm listening to if I'm running solo.

The less I think about breathing, the better I do, too. But when I do pay attention to it, I tend to inhale deep in one breath, and exhale in two short bursts, which goes perfectly in time to the drum beat of Queen's "We Will Rock You." :blushing:
  • fitmommy75
    fitmommy75 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I started running back in February and I just recently figured out my breathing. I was going way too fast for my body. Since slowing down a little bit, my breathing is under control. As for the stitches, make sure you are hydrated enough throughout the day as well as the days before.
  • PRprincess
    PRprincess Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I've been running for about a year now. I find that on the treadmill I don't really have to think about my breathing. When I run outside I breathe in my nose to three steps and out by mouth three steps, and repeat. I still get some stitches, but then I just slow my pace a little and wait for them to subside. Once they do I increase my pace a little. Great job becoming a runner! :D
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    any tips? I run in bursts of running combined with jogging and walking as needed as I am a new runner. My problem is about a mile and a half in I start to breathe heavy and wheeze a little. No known asthma or other breathing problems. Is there some way to work my breathing in better? in nose out mouth or something? any tips appreciated.

also stitches...I have been getting them since I doubled my running distance. I am doing a 6 mile trail and about halfway through I start getting stitches in my right side. I normally slow to a fast walk until it subsides, I don't stop completely, but I wonder if this is something I can prevent, will it get better with time or do I just need to learn to deal.

Yup, this will get better with time as you build endurance. Just do the best you can. Your whole body is adjusting, your muscles, your lungs, everything. The only way to get through it is to get through it. Great for you. Keep up the great work of improving your health and your body.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Tighten your core to minimize side stitches. I'm a three stride breather, its kind of like strokes when you swim. I inhale for three strides, exhale for three. I start out inhale through nose, exhale through mouth but that eventually turns into full time mouth breathing.

I'm hoping to get somewhere that I can swim because I know some runners have learned amazing breath control after cross training with swimming, seems to make you more efficient.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Forget the spurts, run slower until you get your breathing regulated. Usually for me I have a little difficulty for the 1st qtr mile or so but once I get going then the breathing is regulated.

Since you are just starting running, walk or jog lightly to warm up your muscles and then increase speed a little. Once you are used to it your breathing should be easy, if you are breathing heavily, your legs aren't getting the oxygen they need. No rush, you will catch on in short time.

Basil
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Its sounds like your runnig too fast. Try to slow down. When your running you should be able to talk in complete sentences. If you can't your going too fast. Slow down and build up to were your walking less, this will incress your lung compacity and will make you faster in the end. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. A smooth constant speed will help with the side stiches aswell.
  • VRoseDuda
    VRoseDuda Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I don't run but I do quite a bit of cardio...I chew gum to regulate my breathing.
  • mollylaremeter
    mollylaremeter Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    if you are breathing too hard, you need to slow down and back off. breathe in through your nose, out through your mouth, count in 4 and out four and keep your breath steady like this, and make sure you're not holding your breath.