Trying to choose a "lifting" program

Options
I recently started adding lifing to my workout routine and seriously LOVE it! the routine I started with a routine that did basiclly 3X20 for everything and I couldn't get to heavy and still complete it but I kinda want to lift heavier than I am (like I said a little addicted I think) so i started reading up on form and other routines and came across this:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-phase-1.html

so those of you that are in the know, what do you think about it? Are the "phases" necessary? do I need to spend 3 weeks getting my muscels "prepared" it IS still heavy just not 100% she says to start at 60% of what is your heavist you can lift. I like the variation and the rest days and the advice at the beginning of each day. Does this look like a good program or should I just stick with the one I'm already doing and stick it out?

thanks!

Replies

• nkklllll
    Options
    Phasing is great . . . yes you should spend 3 weeks getting yoru muscles used to it so as to maximize gains and peformance for the strength phases.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Id suggest StrongLifts 5x5, Starting Strength or New Rules of Weight Lifting.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

Hear, hear!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

Hear, hear!

Agree, thos 3 program are made to get the best of the newbies gains.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

Hear, hear!

If you eat a surplus
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

Hear, hear!

If you eat a surplus

They make you eat at maintenance so it is more a recomp than a bulk. Recomp work....until it does not anymore (or slow way down) but for those starting lifting, it can give you decent results.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

Hear, hear!

If you eat a surplus

most initial gains are neuromuscular adaptation anyway... no surplus required.

strictly doing rippetoe's program, as written, basically does prescribe a surplus that will make you fat too..
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options

Hear, hear!

Amen. Loving Starting Strength.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I love New Rules. People I respect love Starting Strength. It would be hard to do New Rules at home (cable machine is pretty necessary) or to do Starting Strength without a barbell and rack. That's not always available to newbies, especially if they want to do it at home. If you have a gym, pick one of those two. If you don't have a gym, consider Body for Life which is basically free plus shipping on Amazon and can be done at home. I got good results from that. I love New Rules more though.
  • emandlukeplusone
    emandlukeplusone Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone! I got starting strength and body for life at the library. I'm just gonna stick to what I'm doing so that I'm actually doing something as I read up and educate! thanks for all the advice!